Windows Phone 7.8 clarifications

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Will windows phone 7.8 come with the new browser? Maps? Will even WP8 have horizontal start screen and if so do we get it? From what I read we basically get just one modification and that's small start screen options... Not dissatisfied as I got both my phones free unlocked. So this isn't a cry section, just winding what new features we do get?

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Will windows phone 7.8 come with the new browser? Maps? Will even WP8 have horizontal start screen and if so do we get it? From what I read we basically get just one modification and that's small start screen options... Not dissatisfied as I got both my phones free unlocked. So this isn't a cry section, just winding what new features we do get?

We'll know after Microsoft's next WP announcement.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Ignore those people that ms will only bring da start screen. MS clearly stated they will bring features from wp8 to wp7.8. Watch the event again. Then you'll find out. Hope you stay on wp and maybe get a wp8 phone :D

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh I'm staying for at least a year, I got a Titan for my Mom/Dad and a Focus S for myself. I really appreciate the smoothness and ease of use of the platform, they really pulled an iOS and made it easy for the general public. However I am a tweaking freak so I think my next phone will be an android, I should be able to get a job this summer being 16 soon so my funds are spread pretty thin on gadgets :) But I sure hope the native apps are updated like maps, people and the like, not just a start screen mod like most say.

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
While I'm very disappointed that there's no native code support inc for WP7, I got this optimus 7 smartphone on a massive sale not likely to happen again with any other comparable phone, so I won't be leaving anytime soon ... hopefully developers don't throw the Wp7 marketplace into a pit of fire immediately causing instant stagnation of the ecosystem.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh I'm staying for at least a year, I got a Titan for my Mom/Dad and a Focus S for myself. I really appreciate the smoothness and ease of use of the platform, they really pulled an iOS and made it easy for the general public. However I am a tweaking freak so I think my next phone will be an android, I should be able to get a job this summer being 16 soon so my funds are spread pretty thin on gadgets :) But I sure hope the native apps are updated like maps, people and the like, not just a start screen mod like most say.

Mate you wait what ms bring first or maybe wait for wp8.5 or something. I hope they get multiple screen and a landscape scrolling. Like the LinkedIn interface that would be cool

DanielCeleste

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I heard that "only some" devices will get 7.8. I really hope that that's not true because I have an HD7 :|

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
They haven't said much about the Apollo interface beyond the start screen and the change to Xbox music and a redesigned games hub. I would be surprised if those don't get included in 7.8 as well.

When it comes to other hub features I'm guessing they will be feeding us new bits over the coming month as they continue to build the buzz, along with more clarifications. I still believe that they will try to get as much of the hardware-independent features as possible to current phones.

I think the part about pushing the updates directly could mean that MSFT will take on the work of including any carrier/OEM-specific details to make sure phones actually get updated, which could be a worthwhile investment since they can score bonus points when someone makes a comparison with the number of Android phones that get updates.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
They haven't said much about the Apollo interface beyond the start screen and the change to Xbox music and a redesigned games hub. I would be surprised if those don't get included in 7.8 as well.

When it comes to other hub features I'm guessing they will be feeding us new bits over the coming month as they continue to build the buzz, along with more clarifications. I still believe that they will try to get as much of the hardware-independent features as possible to current phones.

I think the part about pushing the updates directly could mean that MSFT will take on the work of including any carrier/OEM-specific details to make sure phones actually get updated, which could be a worthwhile investment since they can score bonus points when someone makes a comparison with the number of Android phones that get updates.
I agree. Wp8 is so advanced that will get some of that advancement In software. :D

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Ignore those people that ms will only bring da start screen. MS clearly stated they will bring features from wp8 to wp7.8. Watch the event again. Then you'll find out. Hope you stay on wp and maybe get a wp8 phone :D

They said the new features is the start screen and customization. The idea that they are going to spend any time in a consumer type press conference on Windows Phone 7.8 then you didn't listen to Steve Perry of Journey talk about moving forward. They are moving forward and beyond Windows Phone 7.X. If 7.8 was going to be nearly feature equal to Windows 8, then they would have called it Windows 8. Renaming the Zune Hub to Xbox music etc is not adding features. It is changing the letters on the tile.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
They said the new features is the start screen and customization. The idea that they are going to spend any time in a consumer type press conference on Windows Phone 7.8 then you didn't listen to Steve Perry of Journey talk about moving forward. They are moving forward and beyond Windows Phone 7.X. If 7.8 was going to be nearly feature equal to Windows 8, then they would have called it Windows 8. Renaming the Zune Hub to Xbox music etc is not adding features. It is changing the letters on the tile.
Oh. I forgot about that. But I thought they'll bring more. Maybe I forgot or somethin. I'M DUMB GEEK YAY!:)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I want the screen right now, I already imagine what changes I would made and it makes my current set up obsolete. They got me sold.

Anyway, none hardware specific features will make it like the dumb wallet and NFC. I don't know what NFC means but every OS that has that feature is dead in months lol. I hope the improvements to the keyboard etc... Made it.

I wish they made list of time, connection etc... On the top permanent.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
All MS had stated is that we will get the start screen customizations. It has been rumored that there will be more but its all just rumors. I would say its bet just to not get your hopes up until you hear something from Microsoft.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I want the screen right now, I already imagine what changes I would made and it makes my current set up obsolete. They got me sold.

Anyway, none hardware specific features will make it like the dumb wallet and NFC. I don't know what NFC means but every OS that has that feature is dead in months lol. I hope the improvements to the keyboard etc... Made it.

I wish they made list of time, connection etc... On the top permanent.

I think you should edit out that part on NFC.

NFC in layman's terms is a short-range (centimeters) wireless communication format. It can be used for secure communication such as payments at a cash register due to the fact that someone would basically have to be up your butt in order to actually be in range of your communication. It can also be used to establish other links of communication, such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, without the need for passwords. So, for example, if you enabled NFC linking on your router, your friends could come into your house and tap their phones on your router and establish a link without needing to ask for your password. It also has many other uses, some of which they demoed at the Summit.

I myself, am very excited about NFC capabilities in WP 8. If it takes off like I think it should, it will be fantastic.

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I think you should edit out that part on NFC.

NFC in layman's terms is a short-range (centimeters) wireless communication format. It can be used for secure communication such as payments at a cash register due to the fact that someone would basically have to be up your butt in order to actually be in range of your communication. It can also be used to establish other links of communication, such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, without the need for passwords. So, for example, if you enabled NFC linking on your router, your friends could come into your house and tap their phones on your router and establish a link without needing to ask for your password. It also has many other uses, some of which they demoed at the Summit.

I myself, am very excited about NFC capabilities in WP 8. If it takes off like I think it should, it will be fantastic.
Could some clever devious hacker person exploit the NFC wallet feature of your phone though? Somehow have a device on themselves, bump into you "accidentally" and "download" your cash?

Rocketdan9

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
My projection is that other than getting the wp8 start screen and other animation updates, 7.8 will also get

- IE 10 (without flash though)
- Further battery improvements
- Xbox, zune enhancements
- Camera, picture edit enhancements

Pretty much it should get any kind of updates the wp7 phone hardware can handle (1gz processor with 512mb ram).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire