Why WP7.8 and WP8 is an excellent idea (via XDA)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Quoting the poster: (xda-developers - View Single Post - An idea for the poor ones with no WP8 update.)

I think most people who panicked for not having Windows 8 on their phones are more so because they think:

a) They won't have new apps instantly
b) Devs won't develop anything new instantly
c) New features won't come to their phone instantly

I've spent my Sunday watching that video from Dev summit again. I am going to swallow my posts from earlier (full of optimism, they were) and say that no, we might after all not get any features from WP8 but only the start screen. But then you know what? I am fine with that.

Just like you said, OS wise - those who purchased Lumias or Titans, surely were and are happy with the OS as it is, else why would they shell out so many pounds for a phone. Now that we've established that people are happy with their phone in the state in which they bought it, let us talk about 'support'.

I am fine with the whole idea because, I have convinced myself that new apps won't stop coming instantly, devs won't stop developing instantly, new features won't stop coming to my phone instantly. For at least another year after the launch of WP8, things will stay as they are. Then, WP *might* die. Because I haven't forgotten how long it took them to kill WM6.5, I know it will take them even longer while Nokia uses their Lumias as low end phones.

Here is an example - An Eclair (2.1 phone) is still being sold and purchased for about ?190 on play.com while we have what 2 or 3 (?) Android ICS phones out in the wild? http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4...e/Product.html

Now if you consider WP7.8 to be WP ICS, then by that analogy, WP7.5 is an Froyo phone for WP range. I don't see why Nokia or any other OEMs can't offer at least for another year, WP7.8 (aka ICS WP) along with WP8 (aka Jelly bean WP). Nokia's Lumia 710 (Mango aka Froyo-like) phone is being sold for ?130 currently anyway!

At least for WP, ALL apps and games run on its Eclair (pre-NoDo), Froyo (Mango), Gingerbread (Tango), WP7.8 (ICS) and WP8 (Jelly bean)!

What we are forgetting in mid of all these first world crisis is that Nokia's attempt to save itself also includes re-entering the market + attracting those feature phone users for whom WP7 or WP7.5 or WP7.8 = a smartphone because they need a phone to text, call, email and use couple of apps at max!

I am going to leave this post here and will come back to say I told you so (hopefully) a year after WP8 launch, when MSFT would have supported all the Lumias and Titans for 18 months at least by then

Last edited:

ink13

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree with most of it, but for myself wp8 is ICS and 7.8 is gingerbread. So 8 is the cool new thing and 7.8's just okay.. Mhh, not that I won't be happy with 7.8, I actually agree with Microsoft that wp8 should be ''7.8 with new hardware'', that's what I atleast have understood. The first generation wp7 hardware, is more than enough for me, atleast for now.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree with most of it, but for myself wp8 is ICS and 7.8 is gingerbread. So 8 is the cool new thing and 7.8's just okay.. Mhh, not that I won't be happy with 7.8, I actually agree with Microsoft that wp8 should be ''7.8 with new hardware'', that's what I atleast have understood. The first generation wp7 hardware, is more than enough for me, atleast for now.

Even with 7.8 without many features, I think WP7.5 and WP7.8 are good enough to be low-end WPs while WP8 lanches with hefty price tags. I doubt if we will have any low-end WP8 phones till mid-2013. They want to make money with the whole ecosystem-craze.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
the funniest part about all this news is how everyone on this site hated on dual core, high res, etc.. and now suddenly are like ?sweet dual core!"

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
they didn't talk about what features will come to 7.8 or even what new features will come to windows phone 8 other than important features that developers must know
everything will be more clear on next major event since its more like a Consumer event than a developer event

Zumanity

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
the funniest part about all this news is how everyone on this site hated on dual core, high res, etc.. and now suddenly are like ?sweet dual core!"

I don't think anyone hates innovative and new technology.. we simply said Windows 7, 7.5 did not need this technology to be a worthwhile OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss