Make Your Voice Heard on WP7.8 VOTE!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am making a promise to myself:

After this comment, I will do NO MORE POSTS on WP 7.8 until new information comes out.

A good portion of us have tied an anchor to our legs and thrown ourselves off the deep end here. On one hand, all of you saying that this 7.8 means end of the line, no support, and basically the WP parade is kicking out our floats need to just stop. OF COURSE there will be support for our devices. It is a great selling point to future customers that WP is supported. I am sure 7.8 will be a good update, and that app development will continue. I have made the point before: WP7 apps are compatable to WP8 devices. App developers that are not designing with the new hardware in mind wil get more hits if they write for all WP devices, at least until WP8 is the dominate OS version. So relax.

On the other hand, it truly isn't all sunshine and roses. I was among the most vocal of the supporters thinkng that WP8 (minus hardware restrictions) was coming to at least 2nd gen devices. If the 7.8 is less, then MS has let us down. It is a very real concern, and okay for people to worry. Why wouldn't every one of us on WP Central sign this petition, even if (like me) you are fairly sure MS will do right by us? It is a wise move, having their customers voices heard. If nothing else, maybe confirmation will be released. Maybe they will include some functionality they were not planning on based on pressure from their current users who they DO NOT want to lose to Apple, Android, or even the new and improved BlackBerry.

Even keel, everyone, even keel. Sign the petition (in my opinion), then wait to see what is announced and be optimistic.

And quit slamming each other. Way to negative in these 7.8 discussion boards.

GROUP HUG!!!!!!

And now it is 29, 155 votes.....

Last edited:

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Public Relations 101, if you don't come out and control the message and are vague, you leave yourself open to interpretation, you lose control of the message.

MS didn't give a straight answer on the status of WP7 customers being upgraded to WP8 for a long time, and then when they did, what they said disappointed large sections of their user base. Note, I'm not saying the majority, but it's certainly been a very vocal segment.

Now they aren't clarifying what improvements other than UI they are going to add to WP 7.8. Based on recent history, they haven't exactly generated a lot of good will or trust they will take care of their customers who are currently on this platform (dependent on your perspective, certainly).

Given that's the case, why should they get the benefit of the doubt?

Marketting 101 - be vague so ppl don't know what's going and will start discussing to create exposure

:) just sayin...

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Marketting 101 - be vague so ppl don't know what's going and will start discussing to create exposure

:) just sayin...

MS seems to have a lot of issues with this, they are often vague which means people start making up stuff to fill the gaps. I am amazed the Microsoft Marketing and Public Relations team hasn't been altogether replaced yet.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
but I find it very unlikely that we are ONLY getting the new UI after they say that they will continue to offer support for wp7.8 .. a new UI isnt much support , hehe
Fair enough, it seems weird to release an update only with the start screen. I don't see why Skype integration would be impossible, for example. If we get more features, I'll be happy as a user and annoyed as an enthusiast, as Microsoft would have totally botched the 7.8 unveiling if it were so.

It's no good if the exposure is negative. While many users seem fine with it, I feel that quite a few tech pundits currently consider 7.8 to be a giant middle finger.

Last edited:

anish mahadik

May 26, 2012
Visit site
This rant is not about this thread but the forums in general. Also this voting should be done after Microsoft has announced all the features, don't you think it is too soon to beg, they haven't even announced all the features, it was just a sneak peek for the developers.
Hmm. What the ... is going on with all the whiners. Ok everybody has his/her opinion but the forums are flooding with WP7.8 discussions [Ha... I did it too!]
The common people i know [some of my friends and a family member] don't effin care about WP 7.5, 7.8 or 8. They know new phones will come with new features and they will not get them on their phones, it is how businesses work.

If Microsoft doesn't move on to new things, People complain and if it does People complain again. Also they are running a business not a charity. If they keep giving all the features to old phones i doubt people will jump to new phones every year or two.
Also if Microsoft has to compete with others it has to take these steps. And by the way people should be complaining to Nokia and not MS as Nokia is making the hardware.

Most of the new features Microsoft announced REQUIRES new hardware.
The people whining here knew months before that WP8 will come and then Lumia 900 or Titan II will be obsolete. Why the @#$% did you buy the phones then. Also it is not that your phones will stop working, they will continue to work as smoothly as before and also Microsoft will give most of the UI changes in 7.8 which are not restricted by hardware.

Don't argue that Apple updates it older phones, It just increases the version numbers and most of the functionality never comes to older phones[Hardware restrictions maybe, but SIRI not working on IP4 was just BS]. It is essentially what Microsoft is doing but it is admitting that and hence the version no. 7.8.

I have a Lumia 710, i was going to buy lumia 800 but came to know about the WP8 and the hardware changes required and hence skipped it. I came to know about it in this very forum. I am very happy with 710 and probably move on to WP8 next year.

I have seen these things on XDA and hence my frequency of visiting the forums has reduced, when i joined here i found the people to be sensible and helping but now after all this hoopla over the update, this forum is also loosing its credibility.

People here should be talking about the new features we are getting or how to enhance our experience with our phones.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
This rant is not about this thread but the forums in general. Also this voting should be done after Microsoft has announced all the features, don't you think it is too soon to beg, they haven't even announced all the features, it was just a sneak peek for the developers.
Hmm. What the ... is going on with all the whiners. Ok everybody has his/her opinion but the forums are flooding with WP7.8 discussions [Ha... I did it too!]
The common people i know [some of my friends and a family member] don't effin care about WP 7.5, 7.8 or 8. They know new phones will come with new features and they will not get them on their phones, it is how businesses work.
People here should be talking about the new features we are getting or how to enhance our experience with our phones.

Well there seems to be very little evidence of additional features coming. And while you say Apple's OS updates are simply version number updates they do prevent the whole issue lack of developer support for older versions of the OS when now they don't have to worry about it because all major iPhones from the 3GS to the iPhone 5 will be able to run iOS6 and support any application that needs it minus any hardware specific things like front facing cameras. I think there is nothing wrong with people stating how they are not happy about this. And posting a thread on the MS site that represents that is also reasonable.

In fact the only official feature coming to Windows Phone 7.8 is the Start Screen. We can make assumptions such as the eco system name changes are coming as well but they are all just that, assumptions/rumors. So in the absence of information if one goes only off what MS has officially stated then they do in fact have reason to be concerned. And this is a way to pressure MS potentially into actually addressing their concerns.

Now this whole whine-fest against the whine-fest reminds me of Apple forums where the apple fervent refuse to believe ANYTHING can be wrong about their iPhone. If someone says their iPhone say....suddenly decides not to ring anymore when a call comes in (as I had happen) do not be surprised that there will be several posts pointing out how THEIR own iPhone is perfectly ok and that the OP should be dismissed. Same thing happened with the whole death grip fiasco. To see that level reaction in a Windows Phone forum to me is actually more disappointing than many threads complaining about not getting Windows 8 and again I am not sure if they are upset so much at not getting Windows 8 vs the whole application fear which is a very valid and real concern IMO. Since forums by their nature are supposed to encourage discussion I see nothing wrong with that. Should the threads maybe be consolidated, sure. But there is nothing wrong with being disappointed at the announcement.

anish mahadik

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Well there seems to be very little evidence of additional features coming. And while you say Apple's OS updates are simply version number updates they do prevent the whole issue lack of developer support for older versions of the OS when now they don't have to worry about it because all major iPhones from the 3GS to the iPhone 5 will be able to run iOS6 and support any application that needs it minus any hardware specific things like front facing cameras. I think there is nothing wrong with people stating how they are not happy about this. And posting a thread on the MS site that represents that is also reasonable.

In fact the only official feature coming to Windows Phone 7.8 is the Start Screen. We can make assumptions such as the eco system name changes are coming as well but they are all just that, assumptions/rumors. So in the absence of information if one goes only off what MS has officially stated then they do in fact have reason to be concerned. And this is a way to pressure MS potentially into actually addressing their concerns.

Now this whole whine-fest against the whine-fest reminds me of Apple forums where the apple fervent refuse to believe ANYTHING can be wrong about their iPhone. If someone says their iPhone say....suddenly decides not to ring anymore when a call comes in (as I had happen) do not be surprised that there will be several posts pointing out how THEIR own iPhone is perfectly ok and that the OP should be dismissed. Same thing happened with the whole death grip fiasco. To see that level reaction in a Windows Phone forum to me is actually more disappointing than many threads complaining about not getting Windows 8 and again I am not sure if they are upset so much at not getting Windows 8 vs the whole application fear which is a very valid and real concern IMO. Since forums by their nature are supposed to encourage discussion I see nothing wrong with that. Should the threads maybe be consolidated, sure. But there is nothing wrong with being disappointed at the announcement.

Your argument is valid till the last paragraph. Then your analogy of apple users is terribly wrong. I am not whining but frustrated by this. After the update the phones will not stop working
The apple antennae issue is a hardware issue and what we are facing here is an issue of update. I know the apps won't be compatible with our 7.8 that is an issue OK but let them at least talk about the whole thing.
I am not against this voting thing. But it is irritating to see that people seem to think that the update will shut off their phones and will become unusable.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Your argument is valid till the last paragraph. Then your analogy of apple users is terribly wrong. I am not whining but frustrated by this. After the update the phones will not stop working
The apple antennae issue is a hardware issue and what we are facing here is an issue of update. I know the apps won't be compatible with our 7.8 that is an issue OK but let them at least talk about the whole thing.
I am not against this voting thing. But it is irritating to see that people seem to think that the update will shut off their phones and will become unusable.
No one said their phones are going to stop working and I haven't seen anyone say that. What they have said most of the time have been valid worries of the future of application support for their device with this new found OS fragmentation.

Yes I chose your post to quote but if you go to this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wp8-general-discussion/193902.htm people have degraded into being rather mean to people who are pointing out that they are in fact NOT satisfied with the MS solution for Windows 8. Go over several threads will show this trend. At least one post I think would represent the "Shut up and get over it" post in any Windows 7.8 thread, which is very similar to posts found on say MacRumor forums and what not.

anish mahadik

May 26, 2012
Visit site
No one said their phones are going to stop working and I haven't seen anyone say that. What they have said most of the time have been valid worries of the future of application support for their device with this new found OS fragmentation.

Yes I chose your post to quote but if you go to this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wp8-general-discussion/193902.htm people have degraded into being rather mean to people who are pointing out that they are in fact NOT satisfied with the MS solution for Windows 8. Go over several threads will show this trend. At least one post I think would represent the "Shut up and get over it" post in any Windows 7.8 thread, which is very similar to posts found on say MacRumor forums and what not.

Yes, as i said your point is valid, I got a little carried away, but i think there should be one thread for all Suggestions and Complaints than it spreading all over the place.
Also i think that people who are tech savvy and visit the site frequently have already known for months about this fiasco, and these are the same people complaining. Other non-tech savvy people don't even care about these things.
I understand people are upset because they have just bought the new shiny lumia 900 or titan 2, but the thing is that if you are so worried about software and updates then you should do some research before investing in an expensive phone. It is not that hard to find such news and info as most of the tech. sites are always eager to share such news.

I am not a geek, actually i am in the Merchant Navy and am sailing most of the year, but still before buying a little research informed me about the WP8 update and that there is no news from Microsoft about the current phones's update, I really wanted to try WP [Android GS user] so the logical step was to get a cheap WP to try it out. Also in WP cheap doesn't mean horrible experience [Common issue for Android]. Got the Lumia 710 and am extremely happy.
People who have got the Lumia 900 bought the phone because it works so good, it will continue to work the same. The email, browser, apps which are there on the phone now will continue to work, just that newer features and the newer apps which are totally made for WP8 will not be available.
Also if you keep up with things, Microsoft hasn't Officially announced the availability or the full features in the updates. Also new applications and things take time, the store has 1,00,000 apps Approx. after almost 2 years, so it will take time.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Thought the same as well. Eye opening.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned...this is nothing like the Apple Deathg Grip scenario. Especially when it comes to the people complaining about the UI. The iPhone has a problem that prevented the phone from working as advertised. The WP8 situation was never promised, advertised, hinted, or teased, by MS to be on current devices. They do not owe you WP8 on your current phone. But Apple sure does owe iPhone users functional antennas on the phones they sold. In my firm opinion ,and call it what you will, but all those that are complaining simply are being brats. I'm wasn't thrilled with the idea either, then I got over myself and realized my phone will be just fine...just like they never mentiond WP8 at all. MS never promised my an upgrade. Its not in my AT&T contract. Nokia has been on the ball with they fixes to their product. So what can I say? Your loudest voice is to buy a competing phone. But the petition is premature. I'm not against it, but it is premature without knowing what is in WP7.8. AND if it so turns out thata 7.8 is just a start screen, I guarantee that complaining will be twice as bad as it is today and people wont want to hang around this forum anymore. People have really trashed a good forum with all the UNWARRENTED complaining.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, as i said your point is valid, I got a little carried away, but i think there should be one thread for all Suggestions and Complaints than it spreading all over the place.
Also i think that people who are tech savvy and visit the site frequently have already known for months about this fiasco, and these are the same people complaining. Other non-tech savvy people don't even care about these things.
I understand people are upset because they have just bought the new shiny lumia 900 or titan 2, but the thing is that if you are so worried about software and updates then you should do some research before investing in an expensive phone. It is not that hard to find such news and info as most of the tech. sites are always eager to share such news.

I am not a geek, actually i am in the Merchant Navy and am sailing most of the year, but still before buying a little research informed me about the WP8 update and that there is no news from Microsoft about the current phones's update, I really wanted to try WP [Android GS user] so the logical step was to get a cheap WP to try it out. Also in WP cheap doesn't mean horrible experience [Common issue for Android]. Got the Lumia 710 and am extremely happy.
People who have got the Lumia 900 bought the phone because it works so good, it will continue to work the same. The email, browser, apps which are there on the phone now will continue to work, just that newer features and the newer apps which are totally made for WP8 will not be available.
Also if you keep up with things, Microsoft hasn't Officially announced the availability or the full features in the updates. Also new applications and things take time, the store has 1,00,000 apps Approx. after almost 2 years, so it will take time.
Cool so you are in the Merchant Navy :) I am sure you have very interesting experiences

....but on topic I wholly agree with the concept of consolidated threads with similar topics and I don't think WP7.5 is cheap or horrible. And yes the phone will work fine. My only point really is: Those who are disappointed at the announcement are entirely within their right to be so. MS has only stated support for a new Start Screen and that's all. Before the announcement everything was speculation. Even though Apollo was likely not to arrive on older devices I don't think people were expecting that apps wouldn't be able to run on the older devices. So far all MS has promised was a new Start Screen. That is all we know speculation for anymore than that is simply speculation.

The Apple Death Grip example all I was doing was comparing community reaction which IMO has been the same depressing level which is someone says "Gee I am not happy at this turn MS is doing with Windows Phones and that I may not be able to run any new apps in the very near future and my app eco system is essentially at an end" and people jump in and say "Good sell your phone for cheap so I can buy it you big baby" which is what people are literally posting. There is a whole topic essentially saying that in the Lumia 900 forums. How is that any different then the Apple Death Grip threads ont he apple forums where people said "You don't like the iPhone 4 take it back so I can buy it"

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The REAL point is what should WP7.5 users be disappointed in? MS NEVER PROMISED WP8 TO ANYONE!!!!! PERIOD. Your expectations were WRONG if you thought you were going to get it. So it's not MS' fault. I don't expect anyone on this thread to send my a million dollars so I'm not disappointed if I never get it. That's just utter foolishness. Same here. No one promised WP8. They said next upgrade you will get. That could be Tango or 7.8 which you will get likely one or the other or both. So you can expect it. But WP8 NO!

the hess

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It's all about the apps/games. I really don't think anybody really cares about a upgrade to wp8. I say keep the start screen and just give me the app/game support.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
It's all about the apps/games. I really don't think anybody really cares about a upgrade to wp8. I say keep the start screen and just give me the app/game support.

Exactly I don't know what is so hard to get about that. Heck I don't even expect the newer games as they would require more power and features to run. But I can see it now Pandora will finally release for Windows Phone 8 and legions of Windows 7.8 users will go bat****

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So the petition is up to 30k + and about another 55k on xda. Yes, there's a boatload of whining over there too. Fellas, allow me to present a scenario for y'all. You have a multi-national behemoth like Microsoft who's trying to get back in the mobile marketplace with phones and tablets to re-assert themselves as the market leaders of innovative ideas and products. Two years ago they performed a hard reset and gave the world Windows Phone. They didn't call it Windows Mobile 7 for a reason. Now they're on the cusp of another reset, though not as drastic, and their "hard-core loyal followers" are losing their minds. Riddle me this, WP7 has HALF the market share of the retired WM platform and y'all are acting as if MS owes you something? Get real guys, 2% is fine for milk but it ain't even a drop in the bucket to Microsoft. They could care less if every one of us went elsewhere because in the grand scheme of things, they could just tell us "we gave you a polished OS with just as many OEMs as Android and you still didn't support us". Guess what? They'd be right. Android claims a million new device activations PER DAY and we have less than a hundred thousand jilted brides here clamoring for WP8 support. Instead of these silly petitions maybe if the energy had been focused in a positive light MS might have seen some real grass-roots support instead of incessant whining. Make your voice heard on WP7.8! What a joke.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
So the petition is up to 30k + and about another 55k on xda. Yes, there's a boatload of whining over there too. Fellas, allow me to present a scenario for y'all. You have a multi-national behemoth like Microsoft who's trying to get back in the mobile marketplace with phones and tablets to re-assert themselves as the market leaders of innovative ideas and products. Two years ago they performed a hard reset and gave the world Windows Phone. They didn't call it Windows Mobile 7 for a reason. Now they're on the cusp of another reset, though not as drastic, and their "hard-core loyal followers" are losing their minds. Riddle me this, WP7 has HALF the market share of the retired WM platform and y'all are acting as if MS owes you something? Get real guys, 2% is fine for milk but it ain't even a drop in the bucket to Microsoft. They could care less if every one of us went elsewhere because in the grand scheme of things, they could just tell us "we gave you a polished OS with just as many OEMs as Android and you still didn't support us". Guess what? They'd be right. Android claims a million new device activations PER DAY and we have less than a hundred thousand jilted brides here clamoring for WP8 support. Instead of these silly petitions maybe if the energy had been focused in a positive light MS might have seen some real grass-roots support instead of incessant whining. Make your voice heard on WP7.8! What a joke.

In all seriousness what is your main point in this argument? Forget people whining about WP8 as far as the OS goes. Should people who have recently just locked themselves into 2 or 3 year contract not be concerned about apps? They have every right to be concerned imo. I think we will be fine but your post is exactly what this guy is talking about. There is no reason for you to come in here and try to put people down because they are voicing concerns. Does MS pay you? The fact that Microsoft has such a low market share is not the fault of anyone on this forum, and if we are not 'supporting' this platform who the **** is? I won't use the word owe but MS should really try to take care of the people who have been supporting their product. IMO its bad pr. No one owns a window phone and why would someone want to cone over to a platform with a reputation of ditching its loyal customers?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans