Make Your Voice Heard on WP7.8 VOTE!

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
These people don't deserve a WP. :mad: :lol:

I should start a suggestion topic : "Restrict access to WP to ignorant whiners".

The55

May 16, 2012
Visit site
hmm we still dont even know what feature we are getting sooo.... :straight:

“We care very deeply for our Windows Phone 7.5 customers, Microsoft corporate vice president Terry Myerson says during the presentation. “And because of this, I’m happy to share today that we are creating an update for Windows Phone 7.5 customers that brings to them what we believe is the marquee feature of Windows Phone 8: the new Start experience.”

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windowsphone75/users-confused-windows-phone-78-update-143519

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
LOL! .... first of all . I could write a better Article about how we are getting features..

your taking the word of a guy claiming is Information on * HE SAID SHE SAID * .....

joe belfiore said
there is MORE Features to come and that the Ui is not the only changes.
. ( because he knows more features are coming )

Terry Myerson said .

And because of this, I’m happy to share today that we are creating an update for Windows Phone 7.5 customers that brings to them what we believe is the marquee feature of Windows Phone 8: the new Start experience.”

Joe also goes on to say
that WP7.8 Wont be able to RUN Native Code apps/games
(obviously ) . Is that not a HINT that we are getting more features just not the apps?? he never said we where not getting more features.....

SOOOO what your telling me is that Both MS employes / partners /colleagues are contradicting them self's...

HE SAID SHE SAID... we dont even know what Features WP8 are getting .. let alone WP7.8

Can we stop the Rumors? :straight:

Last edited:

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The Windows Phone 8 announcement was aimed at developers the only real nod to the average joe was the new start screen which he alluded to himself. He also said that they will announce the phone user type functionality at a later date.

So all we actually know is that 7.5 users will get 7.8 and which will definately have the start screen much more than that we do not know. Heck we know next to squat about WP8 other than some additional screen resolutions, native code, VOIP integration and hardware specifications supported.

B00m79

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Can we stop the Rumors? :straight:

Public Relations 101, if you don't come out and control the message and are vague, you leave yourself open to interpretation, you lose control of the message.

MS didn't give a straight answer on the status of WP7 customers being upgraded to WP8 for a long time, and then when they did, what they said disappointed large sections of their user base. Note, I'm not saying the majority, but it's certainly been a very vocal segment.

Now they aren't clarifying what improvements other than UI they are going to add to WP 7.8. Based on recent history, they haven't exactly generated a lot of good will or trust they will take care of their customers who are currently on this platform (dependent on your perspective, certainly).

Given that's the case, why should they get the benefit of the doubt?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Any extra announced features would do MS no good right now. It would get drowned out by people upset about what they aren't getting.

If there are added features beyond the start screen, they'll likely be announced after some of the complaining has died down a little. At that point it may actually make a positive impact as opposed to being drowned out.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Selfcreation, can you point me to where Joe said that the 7.8 update would bring more than the start screen? This is what I recall:

- WP8: platform features presented. More user-facing features to be announced at a later date.
- WP7.8: we're going to bring over the new start screen to make it look like you have WP8.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
My Voice says "Lets can it until they officially announce what is in 7.8"

Or get yourself worked up over nothing for the next few months...thats cool too.

Stiv

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
To be honest the new start screen is more than I thought we would get so I'm happy enough already.

The fact they never answered the question if WP7 would be upgradable to WP8 made it pretty clear it was never going to happen so I'm not expecting anything more.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Selfcreation, can you point me to where Joe said that the 7.8 update would bring more than the start screen? This is what I recall:

- WP8: platform features presented. More user-facing features to be announced at a later date.
- WP7.8: we're going to bring over the new start screen to make it look like you have WP8.

yeah I think I herd wrong about Joe's statement , he was talking about wp8 , not 7.8

but I find it very unlikely that we are ONLY getting the new UI after they say that they will continue to offer support for wp7.8 .. a new UI isnt much support , hehe

**** most OS's UI now can be changed with apps. lol ...

ether way will see. :cool:

Key point still being missed here. There is no good reason not updaing current WPs to 8. It is for MS's economical reason only.

yes and no ,

if WP7.5 phones could get WP8 OEM and RTMs would also need to write new drivers for does phones witch means more time/cash for every one one.

also OEM could also chose not to make the drivers witch means that some Phones on some carriers would be left out! witch would suck even more.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Here is a good reason. Assuming proper drivers are available for all legacy devices (would most likely never happen), telling 10M people they have to hard reset their "perfectly working phones", and lose everything in order to install a new OS, with a few new "non hardware specific features". That my friend, would be a marketing and support nightmare, although it would make the techies (probably less than 5% of the WP user base) happy.

The alternative is to plug your phone into your PC, and 20 minutes later, get a phone that works the same as before and looks just like the ones in the new commercials. That will appease the other 95%. Sorry, but majority rules here. Microsoft is doing the right thing for their users and shareholders.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Key point still being missed here. There is no good reason not updaing current WPs to 8. It is for MS's economical reason only.

I don't think you really understand how things work. Do you really understand what it would take to have WP8 on your current device? Do you know what it would take MS to do to get Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Fujitsu, Dell, Etc to support the new Kernel? Do you really know how much money all these OEMs would have to invest to make these phones work properly so they don't get slammed for having crappy phones that cant run WP8? Do you really know how much of a programming change WP8 is from WP7.5? Do you know what sort of influence would be needed to convince the carriers from making said UPGRADE available? Do you understand any of the financial risks involved...including the dollar figures?

Don't come on this forum and claim you think you know why MS did what they did and act like they just stuck it to you. You have no clue. And it's not your freaking money to dictate how to spend it either. You bought a phone...you got what you paid for. You didn't buy a 50% share in MS with your phone...you bought a phone...thats it! give them your opinion and stop acting like you sat in on the board meetings and with the R&D Dept for the past 2 years. Cuz I'm pretty sure you didn't

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Here is a good reason. Assuming proper drivers are available for all legacy devices (would most likely never happen), telling 10M people they have to hard reset their "perfectly working phones", and lose everything in order to install a new OS, with a few new "non hardware specific features". That my friend, would be a marketing and support nightmare, although it would make the techies (probably less than 5% of the WP user base) happy.

The alternative is to plug your phone into your PC, and 20 minutes later, get a phone that works the same as before and looks just like the ones in the new commercials. That will appease the other 95%. Sorry, but majority rules here. Microsoft is doing the right thing for their users and shareholders.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

You know my opinion on this whole matter has been one of indifference but the Apple level reality distortion field going on around these forums have pushed me more to a "This is actually pretty stupid" camp.

In what universe is this doing right by the users? This is the exact opposite of doing right by the users. This is more like screwing the users the only people who were stupid enough to support this company in their venture because they thought it showed promise. Without the users Windows Phone would have been a dead effort that had the same impact Meego had. MS dumped Windows Mobile 6.5 because they had to go a different direction that much was clear. So they dumped it and gave us Windows Phone 7. A new OS with a completely new need from OEM's and then in two years time they are dumping that now. This isn't an upgrade path this is a complete dump of your current user base.

So maybe some of you have a frigging old LG windows phone from eons ago good for you you can upgrade but like it or not the Nokia Lumia line probably has been the most successful windows phone line and the Lumia 900 made the biggest splash so far and all those people's phones are only a few months old so now they have to wait 1.5 years and likely without any app support with a dead platform (And no the 3 or 4 apps from Nokia mean nothing). What makes you think they will stick with Windows Phone when they are finally able to upgrade? At least Apple made sure the 3GS users can use iOS6 a phone that is older than many Windows Phones. Android is so fragmented developers have to cater to a larger market. But what incentive does Windows Phone 7 give developers I don't see anything that would make them want to develop apps for it anymore. They can make a Windows 8 app that will run on PC's and Phones and what not or something for a dead platform.

This is not right by the shareholders or the users. Look at Nokia's financial status now THAT tells you what the shareholders really think.

The55

May 16, 2012
Visit site
This is not right by the shareholders or the users. Look at Nokia's financial status now THAT tells you what the shareholders really think.

Maybe this was Microsoft's plan to buy NOKIA pennies on the dollar!!

I'm in Canada like a few others on this board with New NOKIA'S on 3 year CONTRACTS.
Terry Myerson's said for WP8 18 months support, how does that help NOKIA WP7.5 owners?

Microsoft CAN do better than just the "new Start experience"!!

Or subsidized prices for NOKIA owners to upgrade to new NOKIA WP8 devices!!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

No thanks. I'll wait for Microsoft to announce a complete list of changes from WP7 to WP8. That way I can compare and contrast without resorting to rumors and speculations. Remember, the WP8 summit was for OEMs and developers, not end users like you and me. And though some features were announced that will affect end users, Microsoft hasn't even scratched the surface of changes that may (or may not) happen in WP8. In short, I can't rage against Microsoft for not bringing new features until I know what those new features are.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb