Microsoft: We've only shown you a minority of consumer features in Windows Phone 8

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This is a great article that details why Microsoft decided to Reboot the Windows Phone OS with an architecture that closely resembles the Windows RT Platform.

What isn't said is that it would be fairly easy to recompile Windows Phone 8 Apps on RT tablets based on the Architecture changes. The Security models could be different but in reality, what better way to boost the RT platform than to have it launch with 100K apps? Microsoft isn't pushing cloud compilation for no reason. ;)

Microsoft: We've only shown you a minority of consumer features in Windows Phone 8 so far - Pocket-lint

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
This is a great article that details why Microsoft decided to Reboot the Windows Phone OS with an architecture that closely resembles the Windows RT Platform.

What isn't said is that it would be fairly easy to recompile Windows Phone 8 Apps on RT tablets based on the Architecture changes. The Security models could be different but in reality, what better way to boost the RT platform than to have it launch with 100K apps? Microsoft isn't pushing cloud compilation for no reason. ;)

Microsoft: We've only shown you a minority of consumer features in Windows Phone 8 so far - Pocket-lint
I feel there should be more press on that headline - somehow that message got lost to consumers tuning in to the WP Summit (specifically to those who didn't hear Joe Belfiore mention in the beginning how this was a small preview of what's to come).

That and people love to gloss over things in blog/news articles - a title like that would get more attention. I feel like there are a lot of people who feel most of WP8 is out there already and that's starting some negative press and consumer opinion.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I got a question. Is tellme a developer thing or a comsumer feature. I don't know. If it 's a comsumer feature I think they"ll be much more for tellme. But I hope they have cloud backup and cloud storage. Meaning you can store everything on your phone to the cloud and just use the other space you got

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Tellme is like a feature which is basically integrated into WP, allowing the people to use some features of the phone by voice.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Tech bloggers are the worst "journalists" in the world. They consistently write bogus articles based on "sources familiar with the matter", strive for views through click-bait headlines and strongly opinionated drivel, and worst of all - they next to never correct their mistakes. They will leave error-ridden articles that appear on the first results page of Google unedited, leading readers astray. It's disgusting.

WP Central doesn't do this, because I feel that a more focused publication such as the ones at Mobile Nations know what they are talking about (most of the time) and is far more community-based. It's a big problem with publications who have one or two "technology correspondents" or larger sites run by people with not nearly enough knowledge to match their enormous egos. Hats off to guys like John Siracusa who follow up on their mistakes every podcast.

Hey guys. I got a question. Is tellme a developer thing or a comsumer feature. I don't know. If it 's a comsumer feature I think they"ll be much more for tellme. But I hope they have cloud backup and cloud storage. Meaning you can store everything on your phone to the cloud and just use the other space you got
It's both. I think Jay reported that third-party apps can integrate TellMe for voice commands, so that's of interest to developers. It's clearly a consumer feature since we're the ones who will be using (and hopefully enjoying) it.

Last edited:

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I feel there should be more press on that headline - somehow that message got lost to consumers tuning in to the WP Summit (specifically to those who didn't hear Joe Belfiore mention in the beginning how this was a small preview of what's to come).

That and people love to gloss over things in blog/news articles - a title like that would get more attention. I feel like there are a lot of people who feel most of WP8 is out there already and that's starting some negative press and consumer opinion.

Microsoft isn't the greatest at managing the conversation when it comes to the press. The press conference is the easy part; the slow leaks and the occasional soundbite is where they have to get better. Speculation, when led in the right direction can create tremendous buzz. Case in point, the Lumia 900 generated a lot of buzz for a company that hadn't been seen in the states in over a year and for a platform with a user base of 2%. Nokia handled the release very well accept for the month leading up to the release when it seemed they went on a media blackout.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Tellme is like a feature which is basically integrated into WP, allowing the people to use some features of the phone by voice.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No your right I'm sayin. Is there more for tellme next. Because the stuff revealed for tellme were more developer stuff. It true?

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It depends what people are those tech bloggers. If there are some non-serious people who just copy-paste the whole thing and think that is an article, then stay away from that site. IMO this site has some good folks around who write quality articles and keep us updated with the scene. That's why I hate every other site. Tey have the professional relationship (if I may call that so) with public.
Some writing mistakes are acceptable, not so disturbing. But an article full of mistakes, half english half blargh is not really for the internet...

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
It depends what people are those tech bloggers. If there are some non-serious people who just copy-paste the whole thing and think that is an article, then stay away from that site.
Accidentally clicked on post too early, so I did include a part about my opinion on Mobile Nations communities. I know it's a situation which got the Microsoft community despised, but I was pretty much writing off the whole Joshua Topolsky - Lumia 900 fiasco. I know many other sites have much worse errors, but I follow The Verge and his arrogance really put me off. I think it's fair to say he has actively refused to correct obvious errors he made in comments about Windows Phone, both in the Lumia 900 review and elsewhere, such as their podcast.

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Tech bloggers are the worst "journalists" in the world. They consistently write bogus articles based on "sources familiar with the matter", strive for views through click-bait headlines and strongly opinionated drivel, and worst of all - they next to never correct their mistakes. They will leave error-ridden articles that appear on the first results page of Google unedited, leading readers astray. It's disgusting.

WP Central doesn't do this, because I feel that a more focused publication such as the ones at Mobile Nations know what they are talking about (most of the time) and is far more community-based. It's a big problem with publications who have one or two "technology correspondents" or larger sites run by people with not nearly enough knowledge to match their enormous egos. Hats off to guys like John Siracusa who follow up on their mistakes every podcast.

The major blogs are the relationships you have to manipulate. They need something to drive clicks, or they'll create something to create clicks. The smaller tech blogs really follow their lead outside of former employees with real inside connections.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
No your right I'm sayin. Is there more for tellme next. Because the stuff revealed for tellme were more developer stuff. It true?

Can't tell you nothing for sure ofc, didn't follow MS's keynote, but if they released some API's, that surely is a plus for developers, 'cause they will be able to integrate this feature into various things, for example apps, and so on. But MS could be hiding anything behind the curtain of WP8.. Siri-esque assistant powered by Tellme maybe? Who knows..

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Can't tell you nothing for sure ofc, didn't follow MS's keynote, but if they released some API's, that surely is a plus for developers, 'cause they will be able to integrate this feature into various things, for example apps, and so on. But MS could be hiding anything behind the curtain of WP8.. Siri-esque assistant powered by Tellme maybe? Who knows..

If it's true and is more of a emotional. And has more of a human personality. Like can tell jokes and loving like a human. And does everything Siri does then ms would just crushed Siri and google now

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

TellMe is a consumer feature. What we've seen from TellMe could easily become a lot more powerful. Remember, Microsoft has SYNC and the voice interface with connect. They also have Audible in the fold. I'd expect TellMe to grow a lot by the time Windows phone 8 releases. Voice is becoming the new search interface.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Siri already has some personality, Google has none, pure search engine as far as I know, and MS has also sth like that. We'll see, everything is possible.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Siri already has some personality, Google has none, pure search engine as far as I know, and MS has also sth like that. We'll see, everything is possible.

True. But ms should put teen,adult and kid personality for a teen like havin sex is one of them but doen't have sex with a phone. Take a picture of a t-shirt and the phone will suggest if it's good enough or it would find something better. Adult ,strict goin out. For example you tell the phone there's nothing to eat. You do a video around your kitchen and the phone will find some suggestions of what to make in your house. And for a kid/baby tell your phone you want a story and the phone will look up a bed time story or find one in the marketplace. If ms does this it's gonna be the most advanced os there

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That's true, but I don't see any profit in that, because take a look around in general, who uses voice commands on phones? It gets usable in the car, but in general not really. And that details you specified also don't seem so important after all, although there are endless possibilities for that part of the system.

greensea

May 29, 2012
Visit site
hope they don't chase after siri. overhype rubbish :D never seen anyone used it. even among some serious apple fans (those that wouldn't look at another phone becuase it's not apple!?) :D

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Showoff feature by Crapple. Nothing special, neither I haven't seen anybody here in Slovenia that he would talk to the phone what weather is it gonna be, or where is the restaurant, lol :D.
Better if they make something on their own and pwn the competition with that, not with copying :)

greensea

May 29, 2012
Visit site
never seen anyone used it. maybe people kill time with it in their room where there are ain't background noise or something :D
let hope ms do have their own vision and priorities :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99