Why are there people defending the indefensible

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
"It was right after Windows Phone 7," Sullivan said, speaking in an interview with CNET UK. The team that developed the 7.5 release actually was working in parallel with the core team that was already beginning [Windows Phone 8]. In fact some of that work was already initiated before Windows Phone 7 was even available -- so this goes back a little bit."

"It is true that this is a generational shift -- that is a rare occurrence, but it's something we don't expect to have happen again in the foreseeable future because of the headspace that the new architecture gives us."

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't seem like the best move, but the Windows 7 kernel was not good enough for the job. They knew it would be 2 years before they had something that worked and they couldn't sit back and not get something out there.

If I was in their position, I would probably have done the same thing....as much as it sucks a bit now.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Why are there people defending the indefensible

Why are people still making 7.8 threads when there's already so many of them?

And had you spent a little bit more time reading those threads, and a little less time trolling, you would of seen the reason why. In 2009 Microsoft realized they had to completely revamp their mobile strategy, ditching Windows Mobile in favor of Windows Phone. However, Microsoft knew where they wanted to go but Windows 8 wasn't even close to being ready. Microsoft knew they couldn't wait 3 years to release a competitive product, not with Apple and Google gobbling up the market. So they focused on WP7. Good for Microsoft because it allowed them to build up strategic partnerships (Nokia), establish the third largest ecosystem (100K apps), and develop a relationship with the carriers (AT&T/T-Mobile). And they got to do it over the course of 3 years as opposed to starting with nothing had they waited until Windows 8 was ready. Now that's bad for users because the longevity of WP7 will rest in the hands of developers. And yeah, you can look at it from a glass half full or half empty perspective, but if all you want to do is rehash old arguments THEN GO REREAD THE HUNDREDS OF POSTS ALREADY AVAILABLE.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
seriously? :straight:

Every cooperation hides secrets... and you guys are stuck down on one update way to much.
think long term not short term.

First of all, Microsoft is a Profit seeking company, and knowing MS was going down hill in the mobile world they needed to Hid this to make sales or else no one would of gotten a WP7. ( or allot less people )

Second: I don't understand why people act like MS is the only company doing this , Google did it , Apple did it ,****, RIM Even did it but if MS does it .. PANIC!!!!

Its not because you dont understand how a business works that its wrong...

this whole thing is actually good news!!!!
"It is true that this is a generational shift -- that is a rare occurrence, but it's something we don't expect to have happen again in the foreseeable future because of the headspace that the new architecture gives us."

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

And had you spent a little bit more time reading those threads, and a little less time trolling, you would of seen the reason why. In 2009 Microsoft realized they had to completely revamp their mobile strategy, ditching Windows Mobile in favor of Windows Phone. However, Microsoft knew where they wanted to go but Windows 8 wasn't even close to being ready. Microsoft knew they couldn't wait 3 years to release a competitive product, not with Apple and Google gobbling up the market. So they focused on WP7. Good for Microsoft because it allowed them to build up strategic partnerships (Nokia), establish the third largest ecosystem (100K apps), and develop a relationship with the carriers (AT&T/T-Mobile). And they got to do it over the course of 3 years as opposed to starting with nothing had they waited until Windows 8 was ready. Now that's bad for users because the longevity of WP7 will rest in the hands of developers. And yeah, you can look at it from a glass half full or half empty perspective, but if all you want to do is rehash old arguments THEN GO REREAD THE HUNDREDS OF POSTS ALREADY AVAILABLE.
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Thank you. Still enjoying my beautiful different Lumia 900.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
From all these overreactions, you'd think MS made an announcement that all WP7 were ticking time bombs that will stop working this Fall. Did they say that? Did I miss something? No, cause the phones will continue to work.

I'm more PO'd at companies like Adobe and Autodesk who release minor updates as major updates every year and charge $100s for these "upgrades", then if you don't pay their yearly tax for a couple of years, you have to pay $1000s to get back up to date.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I do not care what MS thought about

If I were told that the OS is to be discontinued, I would have never bought a WP7 phone. Microsoft knew it all along and still made us believe it is a maturing ecosystem. It is called fraud!!!! It is called cheating. It is called deception. It is called dishonesty.... Trolling?

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
If I were told that the OS is to be discontinued, I would have never bought a WP7 phone. Microsoft knew it all along and still made us believe it is a maturing ecosystem. It is called fraud!!!! It is called cheating. It is called deception. It is called dishonesty.... Trolling?

Add bait and switch to all of this. It's incredibly dishonest to launch a phone to much fanfare and a massive "beta test" marketing campaign, and then turn around and nerf it months after it was released. Beta test joke's on the buyers, I guess.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
MS made you believe it is good enough --

Doesn't seem like the best move, but the Windows 7 kernel was not good enough for the job. They knew it would be 2 years before they had something that worked and they couldn't sit back and not get something out there.

If I was in their position, I would probably have done the same thing....as much as it sucks a bit now.

MS portrayed wp7 is the best phone OS in the world while MS knew it is not good enough. There you go. I am trolling...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Here's my counter argument...

7944ff2fd7133c9b.jpg

Now stop re-posting the same tired arguments and stick to the thread where it's already been discussed TO DEATH.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Did they promise any updates when you purchased your phone? Did you purchase your phone for what it could do today, or what you hoped it could do tomorrow?

When I buy a phone, I always "expect" timely bug fixes from the OS Mfg, OEM and Carrier. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

Maybe you should try a couple cups and a string. But the word on the street is that no updates are planned for that model, so you might want to pass

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

As far as I know, apps will continue to come out for the device. There is still the 7.8 update coming later this year and MS has not stated exactly what will be included beyond the new Start screen. Unfortunately, every OS will be discontinued at some point. That's just a fact of life. When a person buys an Android phone, they have no guarantee it will receive any future OS upgrades. IOS has been keeping the 3GS up to date, but it runs horridly.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Second: I don't understand why people act like MS is the only company doing this , Google did it , Apple did it ,****, RIM Even did it but if MS does it .. PANIC!!!!

Its not because you dont understand how a business works that its wrong...

this whole thing is actually good news!!!!

How is it actually good news for all the new Lumia owners???

And RIM did it in the past, but even they learned and were very honest about OS10. But Apple and Google never did this, please stop spreading BS.

Now stop re-posting the same tired arguments and stick to the thread where it's already been discussed TO DEATH.

This thread is not about the update but about the people that make excuses and defend Microsoft over screwing their customers. So it's a different topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
This thread is not about the update but about the people that make excuses and defend Microsoft over screwing their customers. So it's a different topic.

No, it's really not. It's a re-posting of the sticky that's at the top of the thread. He even posted the exact same thing one minute before this thread was created. So again, this thread is not necessary. It's just more of the same old butt hurt.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You know.. I purchased an instinct phone from sprint way back. The nite I brought it home I saw a commercial for the new s30. It bothered m a bit, but I still had a new phone that did wha I wanted at the time.

What really bothers me is seeing my friends purchase a brand new droid 4 and the software is already 2 generation old. WTH is that? A 3month old phone with 2.3 software? Thanks but no thanks.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

And RIM did it in the past, but even they learned and were very honest about OS10. But Apple and Google never did this, please stop spreading BS.

You're right, RIM has been very honest about the fact that current devices cannot be upgraded to BB10.

Which is exactly why RIM stopped selling phones with BB7 until BB10 comes out.

Oh wait...

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

so,

1) will your WP7 stop working when WP8 comes out?

2) will no new apps be released for WP7 once WP8 comes out?

if you can answer yes to both of those, then MS screwed you over. And sorry, but I think the correct answer to both of those is no...

if you can answer no to both of those, then MS did not screw you over. Thank you for your time, have a nice day.

E

.Emi.

im sorry, but, please use a little your brain.
"NEW lumia owners"... seriously?
1. people who knew about windows phone 8 and decided to buy a nokia lumia, is it microsoft fault? NO. people knew there would be a new version coming this fall, if they bought it thinking "it would get windows phone 8", well im sorry, but it WAS their choice, none forced them to get a new lumia, specially when it was known wp8 and how it will have a new kernel and blabla.
2. most people who buys "new lumias" wont even update to tango or 7.8, they only got it because they liked it or/and it was cheap, they probably wont even ever know they dont have the latest version or they have to plug the phone and download zune to update it.

people complaining in windows phone sites about not getting wp8 are pathetic because we all know here there would be wp8 or "apollo" since more than a year ago... and now they blame Microsoft? (specially since microsoft never promised anything)
also the phone will still work, it wont explode when wp8 is released or stop making phone calls, it will get more apps, and it will get 7.8 update!.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the issue, that quote in the OP seems completely logical to me. You guys know that WP7 uses the WinCE kernel, right? MS has gotten a ton of mileage out of WinCE (Wikipedia says it was first released in 1996)! Eventually you have to make a change, and if the Win8 kernel has a fraction of the longevity of WinCE it'll be a win for everyone.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
ook , enough of this BS.

Im all for people posting their Opinions , H8LL I even support it ..

but this is beyond opinions.. and has reached ignorance and Pointless arguments,.

THREAD CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett