Worried that we are going in the same direction with hardware in WP8 as WP7...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The thing that worries me is that Microsoft is shipping the first batch of phones with the Qualcomm S4 processor, which is (even by today's standards, as I am typing) not a powerful SoC in comparison to other SoC's on the market and is still beaten by competition (never liked Qualcomm for this...they always play catch-up).....

Now, before this turns into a "Windows Phone doesn't need fast processors thread" let me get these things out there:

**** We now have the shared NT core. This means great apps and games will come. Windows Phone OS will fly. Things will be awesome (as they are now on old chips).

**** Also, let me explain that I also understand Microsoft is doing this to meet the best of both iOS and Android "type" worlds: allow different hardware and flexibility without introducing fragmentation; got it. Now back to the original point....

Does anyone see a way in which Microsoft will allow different chipsets into the Windows Phone ecosystem without introducing fragmentation. It would just be nice if we came out with something that isn't already outdated in terms of PHYSICAL computing power. Yes, Apollo will fly just as Mango does now on old chips, but I guess I just want the most of everything. It's like we've come 99.9 percent and at literally having the best of EVERYTHING (ecosystem, quality OS, great timely updates now through the "registered" enthusiasts program, etc) except for leading-the-pack hardware. I know better screens and such will come, but I just want cutting-edge, leading-ahead-of-everyone-else SoC's.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Where are you getting the S4 being outdated? Its actually supposed to be faster than Nvidia's Tegra 3 in some benchmarks. But what does it really matter how old it is, the difference with WP is its optimised for the hardware which means it will actually use those multiple core intelligently and not just have them for bragging rights.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see your evidence that the S4 lags behind other chips. The Galaxy SIII for the US uses it because of the integrated lte and every review I have read says that the S4 variant outperforms the Exynos variant in every way. The sa,e goes for the HTC One X. It swapped it's Tegra 3 for an S4 for LTE and every review I have read says the S4 variant is the better phone.

Qualcomm focused on brining lte to its chips instead of going quad core and ended up making what many regard as the best chip for mobile phones. The Tegra 3 is pretty much only preferred in tablets.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Where are you getting the S4 being outdated? Its actually supposed to be faster than Nvidia's Tegra 3 in some benchmarks. But what does it really matter how old it is, the difference with WP is its optimised for the hardware which means it will actually use those multiple core intelligently and not just have them for bragging rights.

Like I said, I'm not talking about for the OS ussage. I'm talking about gaming. With Adreno 320 around the corner, and seeing the console graphics that delivers, I was just saying it would be nice to have that.

Also, let me say that I didn't consider the limitations between LTE and non LTE (which I know Apollo will bring and be a marketing piece for Windows Phone).

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Ya right now you can have LTE or quad core. No phone has both. Most people care more about lte because the performance difference between 3g and let is a much bigger difference than between dual and quad core. That is the reason behind the Qualcom chip. Once tegra supports lte I bet it gets added to acceptable WP chips. I mean, a NVIDIA tegra is what's inside the surface rt.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
With the new Windows core, adding chipsets will not be a massive project like it was going from CE (7.x) to NT (8). That being said, I don't know that they want to create an environment where people have to think about what CPU, GPU, RAM, etc they buy to get adequate performance for things. People will expect (mostly) that Windows Phones in general perform the same if they are priced similar. And the S4 is pretty badass overall, the Adreno 320 is mostly a tablet GPU right now due to battery requirements so it will be a while before that is seen I would think. Either way, I think WP will see additional hardware options as time progresses into 2013 especially with shared work being done on them with Windows 8.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
NVIDIA's Tegra and ST-Ericcson's NovaThor (for Nokia) should both be coming to Windows Phone 8. Qualcomm is confirmed to be the only launch partner, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see support for more chipsets to come that spring in a minor update. Besides, Windows RT has already been optimized for Tegra.

That said, it'd be nice to see someone use the S4 Pro (Andreno 320) instead of the S4 Plus. The "leaked" HTC line up already suggests that, with the quad core phone. We'll see.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
NVIDIA's Tegra and ST-Ericcson's NovaThor (for Nokia) should both be coming to Windows Phone 8. Qualcomm is confirmed to be the only launch partner, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see support for more chipsets to come that spring in a minor update. Besides, Windows RT has already been optimized for Tegra.

That said, it'd be nice to see someone use the S4 Pro (Andreno 320) instead of the S4 Plus. The "leaked" HTC line up already suggests that, with the quad core phone. We'll see.

This is what I was thinking as well, since the leaked roadmap suggested quad-core, which woudl then suggest Adreno 320

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
more like whining about specs. What would you expect these days? Guys if you are going to whine about this stuff before its even released bring some cheese to the whine and cheese party please!

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I think there's merit in the OP's post for wanting the bleeding edge in tech. Jrdatrackstar I think you gotta be hitting up the OEMs about that. The instruction set architecture looks to be the same off a brief table read that I'm looking at between the Plus and the Pro so the new kernel no doubt can move up accordingly.

I think if anything it's just costs right now; the cost that OEMs will have to pay for putting in the latest hardware. It's all a hedging of bets. Give it time, hopefully.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I think there's merit in the OP's post for wanting the bleeding edge in tech. Jrdatrackstar I think you gotta be hitting up the OEMs about that. The instruction set architecture looks to be the same off a brief table read that I'm looking at between the Plus and the Pro so the new kernel no doubt can move up accordingly.

I think if anything it's just costs right now; the cost that OEMs will have to pay for putting in the latest hardware. It's all a hedging of bets. Give it time, hopefully.

Wish ppl would read like this guy....READ....

In the very beginning of the post I said PLEASE READ THIS: I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT WINDOWS PHONE NEEDING MORE POWER....read ppl...

I also said the APPS WILL COME (thanks to native coding and porting) so there is no need to worry about hardware lacking because the apps we've been waiting for will come....

As blehbleh understands, this is only WISHFUL THINKING. i'm not complaining and saying I won't buy a Windows Phone with an S4 because I will. I would buy a Windows Phone on contract TODAY if it were to receive Apollo (can't for obvious reasons). I simply want us to be AHEAD of the pack and not just getting recycled chips. I am saying this:

"IT WOULD BE NICE IF WINDOWS PHONE 8 SHIPPED WITH HARDWARE THAT MADE OTHER DEVICES LOOK SHAMEFUL". Did I say "Windows Phone is doomed to fail because it's shipping with an S4". No.

Again....read instead of spitting the same non-sense that's recycled here a billion times....

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Look, there's no need to flame the guy who's a little more pessimistic than the rest. A shadow of doubt definitely crossed my mind when the S4 alone was confirmed, since these devices will be up against the next generation of hardware that will be unveiled at CES / MWC just a few months after availability, especially outside of primary launch markets.

I'm betting though that the S4 will be powerful enough to keep up, and the visible leap will not be as significant this time around. The S4 will be good enough to power great cameras, higher resolutions, games and limited multitasking. I don't see it holding back the platform in the way that WP7 chipsets have.

oldgaius

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Compromise.

Cutting edge specs are great unless you need to stay pinned to a plug socket. Alternatively the bigger the battery, the heavier and bulkier the phone. Compromise is necessary to broaden the appeal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99