Advertisements in WP8?

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I've seen something like advertisements in the new system here in an article http://www.windowscentral.com/will-windows-phone-8-and-windows-8-have-advert-tile. What do you think about that, would you leave WP8 because of that and swtich to another OS, or would you go along with it? I like Windows Phone and I consider myself as a loyal user from almost day one as it got released, but I couldn't stand that every time I connect to the internet I'd get a tile which would contain intrusive ads, which would clutter my Start screen. Just my expectations how that would go.. But absolutely nonsense, because I payed with my money for that product, and with that sentence I mean that in an app that's free, ads are completely acceptable, but in a product, in this case a phone I bought?! Come on MS, you're kidding, right? So not acceptable..

I'd switch platforms. You?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I've seen something like advertisements in the new system here in an article http://www.windowscentral.com/will-windows-phone-8-and-windows-8-have-advert-tile. What do you think about that, would you leave WP8 because of that and swtich to another OS, or would you go along with it? I like Windows Phone and I consider myself as a loyal user from almost day one as it got released, but I couldn't stand that every time I connect to the internet I'd get a tile which would contain intrusive ads, which would clutter my Start screen. Just my expectations how that would go.. But absolutely nonsense, because I payed with my money for that product, and with that sentence I mean that in an app that's free, ads are completely acceptable, but in a product, in this case a phone I bought?! Come on MS, you're kidding, right? So not acceptable..

I'd switch platforms. You?

Dude. It's not gonna be a addl tile. It's likely gonna be in da wallet hub tile. Becuase that hub shows adds. Or it maybe it shows deals in da home screen which is pretty useful for people goin out. So it would likely be in da wallet hub tile showing deals in your neighbor hood? For example when a new deals comes though place you go to. It would notify you showing the logo and what deal it is

Last edited:

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Yeah there won't be ads on the Home screen. At most it will be some stuff integrated into the Market, and/or some hubs ala Xbox dash. Pretty minimal stuff I would think. Nothing to freak out about just yet.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah there won't be ads on the Home screen. At most it will be some stuff integrated into the Market, and/or some hubs ala Xbox dash. Pretty minimal stuff I would think. Nothing to freak out about just yet.

I agree with you. Most will adds in hubs will be da wallet hub

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
If on the start screen, I'd jump ship without looking back. In hubs, I'd have to see. Windows Phone already has low information density, so I think it would be foolish for Microsoft to make this worse. At the very least, it should be optional.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I am sure it would be a tile you could turn off. Or maybe they are sowing something like a groupon or woot app that you have maybe downloaded and pinned to the start screen. Something like that, i would expect to have "ads" on it's live tile.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If there are going to be in hubs, that's no problem. But where have we seen ads in an OS, nowhere. So I think that MS wouldn't be so silly to do that.. Crazy move, I guess.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I could see a scenario where certain devices could be sold at a deep discount in return for ads on the home screen for those particular handsets. Would be a great way to reduce the entry barrier in emerging markets.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If there is any kind of advertising on anything other than an app that I got for free, then that's unacceptable.

One of the reasons I use WP is because of the lack of clutter and garishness. Advertising is obnoxious, no matter how subtle. I use adblockers on all my browsers because of this, I definitely don't want to see it on my phone. In fact I'm probably going to delete the Weather Channel app on my WP because I'm tired of seeing the ugly banner ads. I'm happy to pay $2-3 for an app so that I don't have to look at that crap.

I love Windows Phone, but if there are going to be any kind of ads flashing up in my face in WP8, then I'm sad to say it, but my next phone will be an iPhone 5.

I think (hope) Microsoft is smart enough not to do this.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
If ads are on the homescreen, I'm off. If ads start popping up in hubs and obscure the user experience, I'll also be off. . .

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
True, eric. ^^

But... whilst we're "fans", we're also paying consumers. We all have a tolerance level, and personally, mine will be exceeded should WP push ads onto the OS. Ads are used to make up for the financial shortfall for 'free' services. Services such as the X360 dash (gold member) and an OS on a expensive smartphone shouldn't push ads in our faces.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
If there is any kind of advertising on anything other than an app that I got for free, then that's unacceptable.

One of the reasons I use WP is because of the lack of clutter and garishness. Advertising is obnoxious, no matter how subtle. I use adblockers on all my browsers because of this, I definitely don't want to see it on my phone. In fact I'm probably going to delete the Weather Channel app on my WP because I'm tired of seeing the ugly banner ads. I'm happy to pay $2-3 for an app so that I don't have to look at that crap.

I love Windows Phone, but if there are going to be any kind of ads flashing up in my face in WP8, then I'm sad to say it, but my next phone will be an iPhone 5.

I think (hope) Microsoft is smart enough not to do this.

dont you think that if it goes over on the WPos that its going to end up on all other platforms. Seriously people stop and think rationally about what you're saying here.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
True, eric. ^^

But... whilst we're "fans", we're also paying consumers. We all have a tolerance level, and personally, mine will be exceeded should WP push ads onto the OS. Ads are used to make up for the financial shortfall for 'free' services. Services such as the X360 dash (gold member) and an OS on a expensive smartphone shouldn't push ads in our faces.

Well we pay for cable and satellite TV services and there are still commercials.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Well we pay for cable and satellite TV services and there are still commercials.

true... and that continues to irritate the heck out of me so I tend to try to avoid the channels with the most commercials as much as possible while sticking with the channels that have few/no commercials.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Sad to see "WP fans" talking like this.

Like what?

I love Windows Phone, but I'm not paying full price for a phone and $108 a month for a phone plan to look at advertising.

I'm one of Windows Phone's strongest defenders, believe me, but ads on the phone would be a huge disappointment. I can't even begin to understand how someone would find that acceptable unless they're getting the phone for free with a free plan or something.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

There is a difference however.

You can skip commercials with a TiVO or DVR and many people, like myself, don't even watch much TV, I watch Netflix most of the time I am watching TV anyway.

Second of all, a phone is a device with a small screen that you're usually using when you're on the go, pressed for time. It needs to deliver information quickly and cleanly. Advertising can only get in the way of this. It's a device that's more like a tool, you don't use it passively like a TV.

Ads on a phone aren't like ads on a TV, they are more like ads on the dashboard of your car next to the speedometer while you're driving. An annoying, obnoxious distraction. If the car payment is heavily subsidized or free maybe I'll put up with it. Otherwise, F.U.

Also, most smartphones are very expensive and so are their plans. There is really no excuse for this on anything other than a super cheap or free phone.

There was a time when cable channels didn't have commercials and most premium channels like HBO etc, still don't.

The commercials on TV subsidize the cost of programming though.

If they want to pay 75% of my phone bill and give me the phone for free they can run ads. But even then, I would pay the extra money NOT to look at ads.

Can you tell I hate advertising?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett