"windows 8 to go"

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Just saw this feature of windows 8 called a "to go" feature. You can store your windows 8 setting, programs and files onto a usb drive. plug it in to any computer and it will look just like your computer. So imagine saving your setting and programs on your home computer then plugging your usb into your comp at work and it boots from the usb and looks just like your home computer. Or the other way around.

Windows 8 Running on a USB ? Windows To Go - Softpedia

It would be awesome if this was possible with an sd card or sim on WP. This would save the painful task of installing the setting and apps from one phone to the next. Just insert your sim or sd card restart the phone then VOILA! everything is there just the way you like it.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
First of all, this is an enterprise-only feature, so most of us won't see this in Windows 8.

Secondly, in my experience testing it with the Consumer Preview, Windows to Go is ridiculously slow over USB 2.0. I'm sure it'll improve with USB 3.0, but I'm not sure that a phone's SD card and interface are going to be fast enough.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
jhoff80 is right, but some of that functionality is integrated into the relationship between Windows 8 and your Windows Live ID. You should be able to log into any internet-connected Windows 8 computer with your Live ID and it will load various settings, such as your color scheme, background, passwords, internet favorites, app settings, etc. You do have the option to turn syncing on or off, not only in general, but for each of these individual areas. It also allows you to say to not sync this data when on a metered connection.

I would imagine that WP 8 will take the Live ID syncing to a similar level.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss