Will WP8 beat this?

rsuter

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm a real WP fan and I didn't use an iPhone or a Android phone since more then a year. I just saw the following video and realized how much our os is behind the other two operating systems (threre are a lot more missing features like file type registrations, notification center, ...).

Siri vs. Google Search (Jelly Bean) - YouTube

Do you think WP8 will beat this?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Siri is overrated. When I'm messing around with it, it will sometimes work. When I NEED it to work, it never does.

Notifications are different by design on WP7. Stop thinking iOS and android style notifications. Your start screen tiles are your notification center.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
We know where Microsoft wants to take TellMe but we don't know how far along they are. However, it wouldn't surprise me if TellMe got a significant update in WP8, one that can interact with Windows 8.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Siri is overrated. When I'm messing around with it, it will sometimes work. When I NEED it to work, it never does.

Notifications are different by design on WP7. Stop thinking iOS and android style notifications. Your start screen tiles are your notification center.

I couldn't have said it myself, WP8 is going to have voice prompts that call on specific functions within apps, we can already launch apps with our voice.

rsuter

May 25, 2011
Visit site

You're right, but I don't like to pin all my apps only to avoid missing push messages. And in addition I don't see the content of the messages, only the count... At the very minimum the push messages should stay on the screen until the users clicks on ok.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You're right, but I don't like to pin all my apps only to avoid missing push messages. And in addition I don't see the content of the messages, only the count... At the very minimum the push messages should stay on the screen until the users clicks on ok.

I thought I read somewhere that the messaging and/or email tile on WP8 could be stretched to a full length tile that would show content of the messages?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I think we will all be happily surprised with what can be done with WP8. Sadly though I think we are looking at another 6 to 8 months of mediocrity with WP8. I hope I'm wrong but Microsoft doesn't have a history of being ready at launch.

To answer your question I think WP8 is going to eventually blow away the competition.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I think we will all be happily surprised with what can be done with WP8. Sadly though I think we are looking at another 6 to 8 months of mediocrity with WP8. I hope I'm wrong but Microsoft doesn't have a history of being ready at launch.

To answer your question I think WP8 is going to eventually blow away the competition.

Are you suggesting the first version of WP8 will suck and we'll need to wait for WP8.1 to be satisfied? Do you base your opinion on MS's past or something else?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
We know where Microsoft wants to take TellMe but we don't know how far along they are. However, it wouldn't surprise me if TellMe got a significant update in WP8, one that can interact with Windows 8.

I used to work for a company that had its own voice recognition technology. So we had some researchers that were really into this stuff. They told me that they went to conference where they got to delve deep into TellMe and they were pretty blown away with what they were shown. So I have high hopes.

I think that the stuff that we've seen in the TellMe video where they show what the future of TellMe is supposed to be probably already exists in a lab. They're just looking for the best way to implement it.

As for just voice recognition itself, TellMe is top notch. What you see with stuff like Siri isn't so much about voice recognition, but instead a huge tree of choices that exist in order to narrow down what it thinks you are talking about. It's a huge undertaking, and there's a good reason that Siri came out as a "Beta." MS likely doesn't want to release their version as a Beta. But Apple probably wanted to be first to market.

And if anyone hasn't see the TellMe video for what MS has planned...
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB6pWs46GY8&hd=1[/YT]

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Are you suggesting the first version of WP8 will suck and we'll need to wait for WP8.1 to be satisfied? Do you base your opinion on MS's past or something else?

I don't think he's saying WP8 will suck. I think he's saying some of the groundbreaking amazingly awesome stuff might come later than launch.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
live tiles = notification center....

Disagree, since its up to the dev to implement live tiles in their app and if they dont, no notification. Ebay for instance, does a toast but if you miss it, no other notification as the tile is not live. And if a tile is way down on your screen you have to scroll all the way to see it. A central place for notifications can complement live tiles and even be expanded so you can see more of the notification so you can decide if you want to open the app or not. Both can work together to make a comprehensive notification system, no need to be limited to one if possible.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think he's saying WP8 will suck. I think he's saying some of the groundbreaking amazingly awesome stuff might come later than launch.
That would be disastrous. We need WP8 to hit hard at launch with amazing features and hardware.

live tiles = notification center....

Disagree, since its up to the dev to implement live tiles in their app and if they dont, no notification. Ebay for instance, does a toast but if you miss it, no other notification as the tile is not live. And if a tile is way down on your screen you have to scroll all the way to see it. A central place for notifications can complement live tiles and even be expanded so you can see more of the notification so you can decide if you want to open the app or not. Both can work together to make a comprehensive notification system, no need to be limited to one if possible.

Devs will have access to the lockscreen. A simple icon with a number would be enough for me. Then I know I have something to check inside the corresponding app. As it is now, the toast notification just disappear meaning I may miss a lot of stuff.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I used to work for a company that had its own voice recognition technology. So we had some researchers that were really into this stuff. They told me that they went to conference where they got to delve deep into TellMe and they were pretty blown away with what they were shown. So I have high hopes.

I think that the stuff that we've seen in the TellMe video where they show what the future of TellMe is supposed to be probably already exists in a lab. They're just looking for the best way to implement it.

As for just voice recognition itself, TellMe is top notch. What you see with stuff like Siri isn't so much about voice recognition, but instead a huge tree of choices that exist in order to narrow down what it thinks you are talking about. It's a huge undertaking, and there's a good reason that Siri came out as a "Beta." MS likely doesn't want to release their version as a Beta. But Apple probably wanted to be first to market.

And if anyone hasn't see the TellMe video for what MS has planned...
Click to view quoted video
I really think that video can actually bash siri's offerings

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
No I personally don't think it will.

I don't think WP8 voice is going to be Siri/Google Voice good for the following reason

I think MS wants people to understand how to use Metro efficiently using voice everywhere isn't as fast as doing it yourself.

But you can expect voice commands to specific applications like Nokia Drive where you can ask to go to Wendys and it will find you directions and map it for you.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
No I personally don't think it will.

I don't think WP8 voice is going to be Siri/Google Voice good for the following reason

I think MS wants people to understand how to use Metro efficiently using voice everywhere isn't as fast as doing it yourself.

But you can expect voice commands to specific applications like Nokia Drive where you can ask to go to Wendys and it will find you directions and map it for you.
well. MS needs to catch up with voice commands. every where Google and IOS goes. MS follows the competition

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss