Test drive the new start screen

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Im not a gutter guy,

Glad they have the small times that will fit four in one square area. Just like the folders homebrew app. I can put more of my apps on my screen

lbaxter

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm still curious: Will the WP8 start screen have a way to open an App List (in lieu of the gutter)? Is it a gesture? Tile?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a gutter guy. I have an HTC 7 Pro with a meager 3.6" screen. I can't afford wasted space in the name of "negative space." I want and need to use each and every tenth of an inch of that 3.6" screen.

I'm still curious: Will the WP8 start screen have a way to open an App List (in lieu of the gutter)? Is it a gesture? Tile?

I'll lay money a swipe to the right will take you to the app list.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

Swiping to the left will open the app list on the right, same way that it is done on current windows phone.

Nothing changes other than not having the arrow option, this was demonstrated in the SDK leak.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The gutter doesn't take up space. If it wasn't there, then the tiles would have to be larger to fill the horizontal width of the screen. Since they are squares, this makes them take up more vertical space. The screen could only show 3.5 rows of tiles that way, instead of 4.3. And scrolling takes longer. So removing the gutter wastes screen real estate.

Now that WP8 has quarter-sized tiles that must be useable, it makes more sense for the medium size tile to be so huge, and the smallness of the new tiles will compensate for the screen real estate wasted by the lack of a gutter.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
In 21 months and two devices I have used that silly arrow exactly once, just to see if it worked. Swiping is much easier. Holding the phone in my left hand, no way I could ever reach the arrow with my left thumb

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos