My Lumia 900 is really beginning to look First Gen

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
yeah honestly I'll get a Surface RT first because more apps than either 8 or 7.8 will come out on it first. Plus there are things I do on my phone right now I'd rather have the Surface for (games) once I get a Surface I figure I'll just use my phone for calls, email and status updates.

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, the more I think about what I do with my phone, the more I believe WP 7.8 will be perfectly fine. I love the form factor of the 900 to the max. I was originally planning (even when i used my upgrade on the 900) to just purchase an off contract WP8 phone brand new because it makes me happy and give the lumia 900 to a family member who isn't as tech savy etc (try to get more WP converts :).

Now though, I think WP7.8 will be more than enough for me. What I really want is a Windows Surface Pro version with all that WP8 goodness. As long as my zune pass is still around and skydrive works well on my phone then I really dont need an upgrade. I can't be alone on this.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
There is always something better on the horizon when it comes to smart phones. I love my 1st gen Samsung Focus. Then my father was up for a renewal, and he bouhgt a Focus S. Suddenly my Focus seemed woefully thick, and lacked things like the front facing camera, and more. Then the 900 launched, and I was itching to get one of those.

In the end, I still have my Focus, and I am still happy with it. I will be up for contract renewal when WP8 launches. I'll be able to decide what I want at that time. And of course, after I get my WP8 device, the second gen of WP8 devices will have me clamoring for something newer and shinier. :)

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I buy all of my phones used. Be patient and wait for someone to mess up. it takes time but I got my lumia 900 with all the stuff in the box and a case for $225 US in June before the announcement. I got my titan for $325 brand new. I refuse to extend contracts with these U.S. carriers.

Yeah I second that!! I'm on straight talk using a Focus S and an HTC Amaze as backup. $45 a month and never have to worry about overages. I may pick up a Titan 2 or wait til the WP8 phones can be had used for $300-ish or less, sometime next year.

suvastallions

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
After seeing all that goodness going into Windows Phone 8. Its a nice first gen but first gen none the less.

It's a just a feeling of relative deprivation rather that your Lumia becoming first generation. This kind of thinking means that every new handset that comes into the market every month will make the previous month's new ones a generation lesser.

Last edited:

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I think it is pretty clear that it's not because the age itself or that there will be newer devices here soon it feels like a first gen.

It's because many of the basic software improvements in WP8 will never hit the Lumia 900, and because it won't be compatible with WP8-apps.

The time from release to being phased out must be some kind of record.

Cyruss1989

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
What's so confusing to me is, that everyone made fun of Android and iOS, that they have to buy a phone for updates/SIRI and now we have an even worse situation and everyone is fine with it and gets a new phone asap.
I got a HTC One X for free some days after the annoucement and will probably stick to it, I even prefer is hardware wise to my 900, it's on par with the 800.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Sound reasoning...

I buy all of my phones used. Be patient and wait for someone to mess up. it takes time but I got my lumia 900 with all the stuff in the box and a case for $225 US in June before the announcement. I got my titan for $325 brand new. I refuse to extend contracts with these U.S. carriers.

I keep trying to explain this to people especially the iPhone users who are seriously being taken advantage of.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think it is pretty clear that it's not because the age itself or that there will be newer devices here soon it feels like a first gen.

It's because many of the basic software improvements in WP8 will never hit the Lumia 900, and because it won't be compatible with WP8-apps.

The time from release to being phased out must be some kind of record.

now you're putting words in the op's mouth. It's clear to me that you're pissed about 7.8 and never seem to miss a beat in stating so. We get it. Now move along

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
What's so confusing to me is, that everyone made fun of Android and iOS, that they have to buy a phone for updates/SIRI and now we have an even worse situation and everyone is fine with it and gets a new phone asap.
I got a HTC One X for free some days after the annoucement and will probably stick to it, I even prefer is hardware wise to my 900, it's on par with the 800.

I'm glad you're happy with the one x. Great hardware. Personally, I don't make fun of any OS supporter and just want people to be happy with their purchase. For me, 7.8 will be fine AND compatible.

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a question. If Nokia released a phone that, on the outside, was a Lumia 900 clone, would your Lumia 900 still be looking old/first-gen?

I think this whole concept is sort of silly. By this logic, the iPhone 4S (and more than likely iPhone "5") will look old since the OS appears to be virtually identical to the original iPhone. Similarly, your home computer probably looks rather similar to one of your first computers. Let me guess, your desktop chassis is a rectangular cube in shape

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a question. If Nokia released a phone that, on the outside, was a Lumia 900 clone, would your Lumia 900 still be looking old/first-gen?

I think this whole concept is sort of silly. By this logic, the iPhone 4S (and more than likely iPhone "5") will look old since the OS appears to be virtually identical to the original iPhone. Similarly, your home computer probably looks rather similar to one of your first computers. Let me guess, your desktop chassis is a rectangular cube in shape

It will look old when it comes to features and ability to run new apps.

KindleFire007

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm still getting lots of complements and "Wow, is that the new Windows Phone? - Cool!" type comments on my Lumia 900. I still play with it all the time and don't feel at all like it's first gen. The advanced features (to match the hardware) of WP8 sound great, but I'm very happy with what I have now and am looking forward to the 7.8 update.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
AT&T recently shut down some towers in my area, so a ton of their customers are coming in looking to port to VZW. Its hard to find a phone for them when they have a Lumia 900, because Droids suck and the Trophy isn't 4G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12