Wp8/7.8 vs BB10. Obviously Wp8. But not these BB at crackberry users agree.

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
BB10 doesn't need the the third position to succeed. They just need to get a comparative operating system on the board and those still using a Blackberry would get it, and that is a large number even at present. They obviously won't get the the third place, having lost so much time, but they will definitely be in position to make an impact in the feature phone demographic. Plus, they would still have a chance to make huge strides in future updates.

All in all, don't count RIM out just yet.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
BB10 doesn't need the the third position to succeed. They just need to get a comparative operating system on the board and those still using a Blackberry would get it, and that is a large number even at present. They obviously won't get the the third place, having lost so much time, but they will definitely be in position to make an impact in the feature phone demographic. Plus, they would still have a chance to make huge strides in future updates.

All in all, don't count RIM out just yet.

well almost every tech site dislikes RIM

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
That's just their prerogative to dislike RIM, but if I were RIM right now I wouldn't care much for what these tech sites say out of pure hate.
Let quality speaks for itself, is what I would say...

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
That's just their prerogative to dislike RIM, but if I were RIM right now I wouldn't care much for what these tech sites say out of pure hate.
Let quality speaks for itself, is what I would say...

Quality of the OS? It is a factor but not as big a one as people think - what really counts is the ability to have massive economics of scale in the supply chain, spend hundreds of millions if not billions on marketing, the same again on carrier tie-ins. Odd as it seems, RIM is now too small (relative to the major players in the market) to have those advantages.

Their burn rate is going to increase over the next two quarters and the decline in both arpu for both devices and services is going to hurt them - they will burn through their cash simply trying to keep up during the launch of BB10 (if they don't blow the new deadline).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft wish to have a renown product like Blackberries. The name Windows Phone instantly makes people defensive and RIM had a huge market share before, they can win it again. I wouldn't rule them out.

Doesn't the name "Blackberry" conjure up similar defensive thoughts at this point?

I have a Blackberry Playbook, and it is a very good device, much, much easier to use than the various Blackberry smartphones out there. But the Playbook has had a very difficult time gaining traction in the market, and I think a lot of that is due to people's increasing negative attitude towards RIM.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
He used to be very defensive about WP, this behavior he's exhibiting now didn't start till after the 7.8 debacle.
Cute, I love how you see yourself as some higher authority around here, passing judgement on other community members. I'm simply opinionated about certain things. I don't like unnecessary or uninformed criticism of Windows Phone, but I equally dislike unnecessary and uninformed support of it. And why would I? I want the platform to be a winner on its own merits.

I chime in where I feel the opposite viewpoint has not been fully presented. Here, that might translate to the disappointments of reality regarding Windows Phone - it has to be much more than "just enough", or users don't have a real reason to switch and in terms of apps, will have to make a conscious choice to settle for less. It doesn't have the market share to get regular companies to support the platform, and the 7.8 debacle is not pretty.

A true enthusiast would not lie to themselves, try to suppress those facts, or do the whole "oh, thinking about it, I'll be just fine with compromise X, Y and Z". I'll give Microsoft flack where I think they deserve it, but I'll also continue to be a Windows and Windows Phone user, and a content one at that.

There's no way BB10 will be superior to WP8. It's a full OS on a phone pretty much.
How does the underlying architecture guarantee technical superiority? What's more important is what user-facing functionality is presented. An example: if Microsoft does nothing to change how applications restart their instances yet keeps the task switcher 1) in a less-than-ideal location (ie long press), 2) limited in terms of the number of screens visible at any one instant, and 3) does not lift the artificial task limit of five, then WP8's multitasking story still isn't that great.

Microsoft could bring the task switcher to a hardware button and get rid of the search button, considering that existing devices will not get WP8. Microsoft can change the design of the task switcher, and can easily lift the task limit completely, or change the number to something higher. None of these are issues with the kernel or low-level system.

Windows Phone 7 is artificially restrained in many ways, and it's not to do with Windows CE. There are a tonne of options that surface when you dig into the registry, yet Microsoft didn't provide any interface to interact with these options.

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Cute, I love how you see yourself as some higher authority around here, passing judgement on other community members. I'm simply opinionated about certain things. I don't like unnecessary or uninformed criticism of Windows Phone, but I equally dislike unnecessary and uninformed support of it. And why would I? I want the platform to be a winner on its own merits.

I chime in where I feel the opposite viewpoint has not been fully presented. Here, that might translate to the disappointments of reality regarding Windows Phone - it has to be much more than "just enough", or users don't have a real reason to switch and in terms of apps, will have to make a conscious choice to settle for less. It doesn't have the market share to get regular companies to support the platform, and the 7.8 debacle is not pretty.

A true enthusiast would not lie to themselves, try to suppress those facts, or do the whole "oh, thinking about it, I'll be just fine with compromise X, Y and Z". I'll give Microsoft flack where I think they deserve it, but I'll also continue to be a Windows and Windows Phone user, and a content one at that.

How does the underlying architecture guarantee technical superiority? What's more important is what user-facing functionality is presented. An example: if Microsoft does nothing to change how applications restart their instances yet keeps the task switcher 1) in a less-than-ideal location (ie long press), 2) limited in terms of the number of screens visible at any one instant, and 3) does not lift the artificial task limit of five, then WP8's multitasking story still isn't that great.

Microsoft could bring the task switcher to a hardware button and get rid of the search button, considering that existing devices will not get WP8. Microsoft can change the design of the task switcher, and can easily lift the task limit completely, or change the number to something higher. None of these are issues with the kernel or low-level system.

Windows Phone 7 is artificially restrained in many ways, and it's not to do with Windows CE. There are a tonne of options that surface when you dig into the registry, yet Microsoft didn't provide any interface to interact with these options.

love this guy, no sarcasm.

And bb has some of their own kinks to work out as well though. Rebranding their new os, phone restarts after installing a new app, battery life that old blackberry users are accustomed to, getting recognizable apps on board at launch, etc. Not saying Microsoft doesn't have their own problems, but I feel personally that their time is coming now

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
BB should abandon their OS and jump in with WP8 that way you can really take a chunk out of the market share that google and frapple posess right now.

Combining the enterprise features of BB and WP to me seems like it would make sense no?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
A lot of uneducated commentary in this thread. How many people have played with the BB10 Dev Kit/Emulator much less used a BB10 device. Speak from the correct perspective (emphasize that). BB10 is a bigger rewrite than WP7 could have hoped to be. It's a completely different beast. As different from BB7.1 as Windows 8 is from Windows 1.0.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I would love to see BB10 make it. It seems to be an awesome OS. BB was a great device for me and I wouldn't mind owning one again. I just think they are too late, devices and updates has not a good history of being on time and personally I am too amazed by Windows Phone and where the whole MS environment is going.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

The 7.8 debacle is no different than what apple does, they just changed the version number up a bit, Android devices have their task switchers in similar places as well in fact it actually varies by phone making it even less than ideal. A majority of smartphone users do not care about apps there was an article on here a couple months back that proved that. Many devs also stated that they have interest in developing for WP8 as well.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The 7.8 debacle is no different than what apple does, they just changed the version number up a bit, Android devices have their task switchers in similar places as well in fact it actually varies by phone making it even less than ideal. A majority of smartphone users do not care about apps there was an article on here a couple months back that proved that. Many devs also stated that they have interest in developing for WP8 as well.

Oh please. It's not the same as what Apple does because with Apple there is no virtually no fragmentation. Android devices have true multitasking, WP7 does not. Majority of users do not care about the number of apps in the store, they care about QUALITY apps. And WP lacks them. And lastly, interest schminterest. You just said users don't care about apps?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Oh please. It's not the same as what Apple does because with Apple there is no virtually no fragmentation. Android devices have true multitasking, WP7 does not. Majority of users do not care about the number of apps in the store, they care about QUALITY apps. And WP lacks them. And lastly, interest schminterest. You just said users don't care about apps?

Yes it is exactly the same thing, not even apple has true multitasking and it's not bothering people. WP has plenty of quality apps,lots of which look better than they do on iOS/Android. Apps are really supposed to do what the OS already couldn't and WP eliminates the need for half of what people install apps for on iOS/Android. When WP8 hits it'll probably be around 90%.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Blackberry is certified garbage. It's a toy there is no ecosystem behind it. What else does RIM have to offer other than messaging which is totally overrated.

What a secure enterprise features? Really I need another server just to run their stupid BES platform to receive e-mail on a phone?

You know what hold up. I rather not spend 2 G's on a server and build a Microsoft Exchange server and use Windows Phone saves me $$$ and the handsets are cheaper.

Going with Windows is the right thing if you love Blackberrys stick to it no problem with that but IMO their garbage *** toys straight to the garbage bin.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

How is it NOT the same when ios 4 came out, the first gen iPhone couldn't support some of the newly toted features.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The 7.8 debacle is no different than what apple does, they just changed the version number up a bit, Android devices have their task switchers in similar places as well in fact it actually varies by phone making it even less than ideal.
It's slightly different in that developers have a much larger incentive to code for the new platform - by writing a WP8 app, they can easily port to W8. It seems weird to worry about this, but what happens if we see 20 million WP8s a quarter next year? I can see WP7 completely left in the dust if that kind of thing happens. iOS has the sizable existing user base, but it's possible for WP8 to outnumber WP7 within a quarter.

I haven't really bothered to look at the button placement on Android devices, but Galaxy Nexus does have a multitasking button, albeit a virtual one (which annoys me). There are a few advantages with Android 4.x: no five-app limit, more apps fit on screen at once, and apps can be closed by swiping. I'd personally be happy if Microsoft lifted the limit (not because of the switcher, but because I want apps to stay in memory) and set WP8 to resume instances rather than restart them.

And bb has some of their own kinks to work out as well though. Rebranding their new os, phone restarts after installing a new app, battery life that old blackberry users are accustomed to, getting recognizable apps on board at launch, etc.
For the record, I personally see no future in BlackBerry. :]

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Playbook on day one and I must say that for a first stab at a new OS, it was a pretty good start especially when you compared it to their phone OS. Also, from what I've seen of BB10 it appears as though they've made a truly innovative product, so long as you don't have to depend on their BES/BIS servers to get your e-mail. I think their biggest problem will be in overcoming public perception based on BB7 and below, which is similar to what Microsoft had to do with WP7. If people actually give it a chance, I definitely think RIM has a chance to survive.

As to WP8, I think that being much more closely related to Windows 8 will be a huge plus. Having a phone that works seamlessly with your computer is a huge selling point. OTA updates will also be a big improvement as both Android and iOS now feature it. Personally, I'd love to see them run a promo where you get a free WP8 phone if you purchase a new W8 computer or Surface tablet as I just sold my MacBook Pro due to my disdain for Apple as a company.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3