notifications

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
This is one of my hates, we were looking forward to seeing a unified location for recent notifications to be stored.
Please do explain your thought process on having a notification centre. I've thought and thought, and the conclusion I've come to is that they simply can't do it without severely compromising the usefulness of Live Tiles. I was hoping at best for an overhaul of the notifications pivot in the Me app, to allow third-party communication & social apps to push updates there.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't really think an LED notification is necessary,especially with the notifications showing up on the lock screen.

With the LED you don't have to wake the phone up to see what notifications you might have. I like the LED, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Please do explain your thought process on having a notification centre. I've thought and thought, and the conclusion I've come to is that they simply can't do it without severely compromising the usefulness of Live Tiles. I was hoping at best for an overhaul of the notifications pivot in the Me app, to allow third-party communication & social apps to push updates there.

Why would it compromise the usefulness of the Live Tiles? I think those two can perfectly coexist. I think there are two natural ways how to include the Notification center. Either, as you mentioned, in the Me tile or, as has been proposed by many people, swipe to the left from the start screen. I think the Live Tiles are merely an extension of the notification center, that is ironically missing in WP. But I do believe you can have both. Actually, you NEED to have both, as the missing notification center is one of the weakest points of WP.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just don't get the fanboys who say we can't have a Notification Center because somehow live tiles we can't see solve that problem. Fortunately these fanboys are not UX experts and do not work for Microsoft.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I just don't get the fanboys who say we can't have a Notification Center because somehow live tiles we can't see solve that problem. Fortunately these fanboys are not UX experts and do not work for Microsoft.

And I don't get those that say we need one and most of the other things mentioned in the poll on the front page. Just doesn't seem necessary to me.

TooiNawfyOffical

May 24, 2012
Visit site

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS http://www.1800pocketpc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/590.jpg

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
A list of recent notifications categorized like iOS/Android do is simply not the same thing as the start screen. To me the start screen is more of a browsing experience of apps/hubs I care about the most. Remember you can end up pinning thousands of items to the start screen, are you going to scroll down for 15 minutes?

I swear you fanboys are not UX experts and you have no business even commenting on this stuff.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
A list of recent notifications categorized like iOS/Android do is simply not the same thing as the start screen. To me the start screen is more of a browsing experience of apps/hubs I care about the most. Remember you can end up pinning thousands of items to the start screen, are you going to scroll down for 15 minutes?

I swear you fanboys are not UX experts and you have no business even commenting on this stuff.

You are no UX expert either and you also have fewer posts than most of us on here, this doesn't give you the right to say who should and shouldn't post, only the mods have that right. As for the topic I think the lock screen is going to double up as the notification center in WP8 and in W8 as well. To me that's faster and more to the point than the notification centers in iOS and android.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
You are no UX expert either and you also have fewer posts than most of us on here, this doesn't give you the right to say who should and shouldn't post, only the mods have that right. As for the topic I think the lock screen is going to double up as the notification center in WP8 and in W8 as well. To me that's faster and more to the point than the notification centers in iOS and android.

I don't see a difference between WP lock screen notifications and android lock screen notifications. When I wake up an android phone I see in the notification bar at the top every notification that I have, similar to WP. When the android phone is unlocked swipe down on the window shade and you can go straight to each notification. Other than preference I don't see how the way WP does it is more efficient, but to each his own.

WP does do calender notifications better on the lockscreen. I haven't found an android app that does it as cleanly as WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster