We know this, but Microsoft has some catching up to do

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Every OS has it's extremist fanatics lol. That shouldn't turn people off from getting what they want. You should get what you want because you want it and it does what you'd like it to do. If android is your current flow and favorite, then people should respect that. It's not like you or any other person that isn't on the same OS is a Nazi.

I actually played with the S3 at the store the other day. slick phone. Samsung is pulling all the stops out. Android gives them room to explore new territory that they can't reach with WP devices. But everyone's experience wont be as good as yours. people will buy the S3 simply off of the name and reputation and because their friends have it. It's new, it's shiny, and it's red/blue and stuff lol. so the numbers are in Samsung's favor. With WP, they have alot of catching up to do and it wont easy. The came out of the game wrong and now they have tarnshed views because of previous iterations of WP devices. I just hope this time around they think it through FULLY before they release another upgrade come October.

Nah man, WP fanboys have a version of WebOS syndrome--a bizarre admixture minor-OS martyrdom and the utter conviction that their OS is the best and everyone else is sheeple.
iOS and Android fanboys are annoying in their own right, but that martyr complex is awful. WebOS fanboys were unbearable.

Yeah, I hope MS knows what it's doing. It's forcing the Metro interface on W8, and that could end up being a colossal disaster, especially given how good Windows 7 is. My dad, for example, has already made it totally clear he's not buying W8.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Wait....what are you guys saying will be so wrong with WP8 that you won't get it? I thought this upgrade was a good thing. What is it that you feel we are missing?

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Wait....what are you guys saying will be so wrong with WP8 that you won't get it? I thought this upgrade was a good thing. What is it that you feel we are missing?

I too would like to know!
What's funny (maybe I'm easy to please) but I was satisfied with No-Do and ecstatic about Mango!
Apollo is almost like info overkill. It's like you guys want a breathing living Optimus prime Transformer in your own garage. I dont know what it takes to make some people happy

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nah man, WP fanboys have a version of WebOS syndrome--a bizarre admixture minor-OS martyrdom and the utter conviction that their OS is the best and everyone else is sheeple.
iOS and Android fanboys are annoying in their own right, but that martyr complex is awful. WebOS fanboys were unbearable.

Yeah, I hope MS knows what it's doing. It's forcing the Metro interface on W8, and that could end up being a colossal disaster, especially given how good Windows 7 is. My dad, for example, has already made it totally clear he's not buying W8.

No no no, it's not that. It's just sad when there's a good product (zune!) that gets ignored simply because its competitor knows how to sell salt to a slug (Apple). Or let me not put it on Apple's ingenuity, they didn't have to do much. Microsoft should have marketed the zune better. But the windows phone is an amazing product and the reasons people say it isn't for them is as simple as one word - ignorance.
I've had debates with diehard android fans who know what they're talking about and have legit reasons for not switching. I leave them alone. They love their phone and have good reasons for it. But for the average consumer, it simply almost doesn't make sense to choose other phones over windows phone. It just does the job RIGHT!

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
No no no, it's not that. It's just sad when there's a good product (zune!) that gets ignored simply because its competitor knows how to sell salt to a slug (Apple). Or let me not put it on Apple's ingenuity, they didn't have to do much. Microsoft should have marketed the zune better. But the windows phone is an amazing product and the reasons people say it isn't for them is as simple as one word - ignorance.
I've had debates with diehard android fans who know what they're talking about and have legit reasons for not switching. I leave them alone. They love their phone and have good reasons for it. But for the average consumer, it simply almost doesn't make sense to choose other phones over windows phone. It just does the job RIGHT!

Cool story bro. Seriously, the Zune was excellent, but it was 5 years too late to the market and should have been marketed better. And at this point in the game, ignorance is Microsoft's fault, not consumers. WP has been on the market for years, and Microsoft has done essentially nothing to push it. Last NPD survey I saw showed that 45% of smartphone buyers didn't know WP existed. Why should consumers care about a product Microsoft doesn't seem to care enough about to market?

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My Galaxy S3 is 100% stable. I've never seen a force close, reboot or dropped data connection, ever. And stock JB is pretty damn easy to install. Takes 5 minutes.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make with respect to the relevant topic/discussion that occurred before you chimed in. Please explain. :confused:

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the point you're trying to make with respect to the relevant topic/discussion that occurred before you chimed in. Please explain. :confused:

If you bothered to read the thread, the Galaxy S3 came up in the first sentence of the original post. And much of the discussion was about the desirability of the GS3 and the foibles of Android.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If you bothered to read the thread, the Galaxy S3 came up in the first sentence of the original post. And much of the discussion was about the desirability of the GS3 and the foibles of Android.

Really? Because looking at the title of the thread and the original post in its entirety it sounds the discussion is about how Windows Phone needs to haul *** in being on par or having some crazy functionality as the video linked to.

Looking at the rest of the thread, prior to your initial interjection, it still looked like the bulk of the discussion save for a few posts were about the merits of Windows Phone needing to improve.

But I suppose we're just reading different threads. :confused:

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Tekhna had some points he addressed towards my comment about the S3. My comments about the S3 weren't the main points of the original post, but they still were there so his response wasn't totally irrelevant.

I'm still wanting to know what he finds wrong with Apollo. WP7 is nice, but it isn't complete. Apollo is said to fill in the gaps plus give us some extra umph. I'm pretty sure there are some things that they haven't mentioned that will make Android users say hmmmm. This is speculation right now. I'm sure Microsoft didn't mention it because android devs a d rom devs will jump on the idea and incorporate it quick as a possible.

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not disagreeing with you, but what makes the UI junk? I played with the S3 at the store the other day and I thought it was actually pretty good BUT:

- I'm tired of icons, I'm in love with tiles
- android in my experience aren't as reliable as iphones or WP devices. 5 different android devices and they all rebooted on me more often than they should
- I like WP social integration

I'm not going to call the UI junk, but I don't think it's as good as WP. If the android device can stay powered on then it gets the job done. Maybe not as fluid and seamless as WP, but it gets the job done.

Also, I DID NOT like the build of the S3. I like more substantial feeling phones. That phone was so light it felt like a fisher price phone. That's a selling point for some people I guess. Like you really need to go to a gym to hold up any phone these days lol.

Maybe im coming on too strong with "Junk", but it annoys me that OEMs on android feel the need to differentiate their device by changing stuff that is already pretty and works well. However, the icons that you mention is the main dislike. If I wanted a sea of icons that look like an iPhone, id buy an iPhone.

But again, device quality (not look per-se, I don't think its an attractive device really) and the camera are impressive.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Maybe im coming on too strong with "Junk", but it annoys me that OEMs on android feel the need to differentiate their device by changing stuff that is already pretty and works well. However, the icons that you mention is the main dislike. If I wanted a sea of icons that look like an iPhone, id buy an iPhone.

But again, device quality (not look per-se, I don't think its an attractive device really) and the camera are impressive.

I'm not sure what goes on behind the inter-workings of their UI, but it's probably faulty at the core (kernel) and has been for a while. I feel they would need to rewrite the code fresh and then maybe they have something more stable. Still, like you, I don't care for icons anymore. I like the functionality that tiles gives us. Now if only MS would incorporate a Tile-Folder structure.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Tekhna had some points he addressed towards my comment about the S3. My comments about the S3 weren't the main points of the original post, but they still were there so his response wasn't totally irrelevant.

I'm still wanting to know what he finds wrong with Apollo. WP7 is nice, but it isn't complete. Apollo is said to fill in the gaps plus give us some extra umph. I'm pretty sure there are some things that they haven't mentioned that will make Android users say hmmmm. This is speculation right now. I'm sure Microsoft didn't mention it because android devs a d rom devs will jump on the idea and incorporate it quick as a possible.

It's not about Apollo, it's the simple fact that WP on Verizon is a non-starter and I'm not leaving Verizon. And truthfully the only reason I have for switching to WP is cosmetic. I think Metro is gorgeous, but other than that, there's no reason to use WP over Android.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
It's not about Apollo, it's the simple fact that WP on Verizon is a non-starter and I'm not leaving Verizon. And truthfully the only reason I have for switching to WP is cosmetic. I think Metro is gorgeous, but other than that, there's no reason to use WP over Android.

For some there is no reason to switch over YET. Super users and wannabe geeks tend to like Android because they can make it a system of their own with the help of a few youtube videos. The same people could barely fix a home computer. And I'm not talking about ALL android people, just some. There isn't MUCH that WP7 can't do that Android does. Of course there are a few things, but most of those things are mainly for those Android users that like to go above and beyond. For the average Joe, WP7 gets most of the job done. I would like to see WP go to a system where I can open it up to simply dragging and dropping music to a music folder rather than the dumb syncing in Zune. The on the go playlist thing sucks too with WP. And a few other minor things. But when WP8 gets most things straightened out, we'll see you back here again my friend. ;) You are still here, so you are curious. I haven't popped back in the droid forums in a while to talk about their phones or OS because it doesn't tug at my curiosity much.

That smoked by a windows phone thing is an ok idea, but in general there needs to be a list of things that Android does that WP can do as well, but differently. People see a different ecosystem as a bad or not as efficient one. Not true. The verge gives WP bad ecosystem ratings which is bogus. But like I was saying before, switching to WP from Android doesn't make me miss much. Maybe a few cool features, but not much.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone 8 major problem is that the mobile phone landscape has changed since Windows Mobile was axed. iOS and Android are very established OSes and while WP8 is different and does the basics well people need COMPELLING REASONS to switch - not the fuzzy the OS is better. WP8 fans tend to overstate the problems with Android (I have had my GS3 for 6 weeks, works great, the upgrade from a previous Android phone was painless and right now it would be very difficult for me to switch - in addition to the fact that I expect to keep my high end, expensive GS3 for at least 2 years). As for why I hang out (some people would say troll) on the WPCentral is I am a tech enthusiast (I also check out iMore) and just love to see what's going in the tech world. I am also on Verizon for many reasons and unless they get a BIG push on Verizon (and Sprint's already made their commitment to the iPhone) it's hard to see how they make much of a market share push in the US (and their delay until November has put a lot of people in the GS3 camp in the US and worldwide). I really believe Ice Cream Sandwich on Android is a lot like Win95 vs. iOS in that it is a huge step forward in usability and stability (Mathias Duarte - the father of design for WebOS) for Android and going to make it very hard for WP8 to gain user share. I know most people on here LOVE WP7 but it is not just a case of sticking it out like XBox until MS eventually gains enough market share - there is not necessarily a market need for 3 OSes.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I guess the key would be show how the apps people use already on their existing smartphones are better on a Windows Phone vs an iPhone or Android device. If they did that people may feel compelled to switch if they are going to get a better experience in the apps they already use.

At the end of the day that is what the end user cares about: Apps.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know where you are getting your logic from but it's proven that WP devices are getting some ok market share increases. Of course it's not as huge as android, but people are switching from Android more and more. The android system has great features, but it's flawed from the core. I mean, WP has more fluidity and we are only working with one core. imagine the work WP8 can do with 2 or 4 cores. Even on 4 cores, android still manage to get some lag. And I don't know if your argument is that Android is better or that it's been there long enough that it's too late for WP to gain a decent amount of the share.

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Let us have true third party browsers not based on IE. Make Bing suck less. Make TellMe work for emails and system wide. Focus on getting those core features the other OS's have down done right before you add any crazy stuff.
Preach it.

Microsoft, those of us who want to switch to another browser, or search engine? You're doing yourself no favours by locking us in to an experience we don't want. If I want to switch, I'm not interested in your offering to begin with. Allow users to change defaults, and heck, if you want, reset the browser & search defaults after every OS update. Just let me choose Google, let developers create real alternative browsers since you're incredibly restrictive over the layout and feature-set of IE.

I sure hope the new tab page isn't blank in WP8, because it's the most ridiculous waste of space. Don't see why everyone complained about the gutter, when IE wastes the whole screen on launch.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism