We know this, but Microsoft has some catching up to do

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So I came across this video today and saw some of the functions that other OEMs are putting on their phones, and I tell ya what, if Androids didn't crash so much I may go the way of the Galaxy S3. Sammy along with the other manufacturers have some cool ideas, but of course they aren't all necessities. WP 7.5 did make alot of progress as far as windows phones and pleasing the current customer base goes. BUT, WP8 really needs to have some more innovations. WP devices already are different, but there are some basic needs that need to be incorporated along with some extra glitz to get more people over to the WP world.

When the WP8 devices come out, then naysayers will have less to gripe about as the specs talk won't be such a big turn off to them. Now, lets hope WP8 smokes these fools again.

By the way. I LOVE MY WP device. I just wish it had a little more. Like the coke commercial...AND???

[YT]watch?v=Eb9P4Xe_YKg&feature=related[/YT]

Last edited:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
They better be, fans and the tech world is far too soft on Windows Phone because they have faith in what it can become but if fails. Then prepare to see an amount of hate bigger than the ones people have against Blackberry.

I'm hopeful WP8 is going to be great however.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not watching 16 minutes of Android commercials. Why don't you just tell us the features that you don't think WP8 will have that appeal to you most, and we can discuss them?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
"Windows Phone 8, the only platform that puts Master Chief in your pocket". Exclusive Halo game and a Halo 4 branded WP8 bundled with a Halo 4 360. Unmatched USP right there.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
That Halo thing won't fly with everyone. Lol. Only gamers.
I can't go down the list of all the features that some of those phones have, but to name a few, taking picture while recording a video simultaneously, watching a video in a smaller pane while replying to a message, and slow motion videos. Those are just on the media side. Now, WP8 will have features that other phones won't have as well, but will they be important ones? Who knows.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
That Halo thing won't fly with everyone. Lol. Only gamers.
I can't go down the list of all the features that some of those phones have, but to name a few, taking picture while recording a video simultaneously, watching a video in a smaller pane while replying to a message, and slow motion videos. Those are just on the media side. Now, WP8 will have features that other phones won't have as well, but will they be important ones? Who knows.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Ah.

Watching a video in a smaller pane while replying to a message would be cool I suppose.

I'm not even really thinking about any of that stuff though, I just want the basics covered like separate volume controls for alarms and ringer, orientation lock, and the tile re-sizing thing.

Actually, if they somehow manage to get separate volume controls and orientation lock included in 7.8, then I'll be happy to wait until the end of my contract before I even look at WP8.

I'm easy. I don't need to take motion-stabilized still shots whilst I'm videoing myself snowboarding down a mountain and simultaneously watching a Netflix movie.

I think this is in part why phones start to run like shyte, have shyte battery life and we wonder why. Because everyone tries to Android everything in this world.

I don't mind extra features, just as long as Microsoft NEVER loses sight of why they've got people like me as a customer. I want: Simple. Clean. Elegant. Stable. Fast. Whizbang features are secondary.

Let us have true third party browsers not based on IE. Make Bing suck less. Make TellMe work for emails and system wide. Focus on getting those core features the other OS's have down done right before you add any crazy stuff.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm with socialcarpet. The core functionality is way more important I think. I understand it'd be great to have "wow" functionality but unless it's well thought out, it'll just be fluff. Watching the video the only stand out functions looks like the multimedia ones you already stated. Everything else seems like some software that can be done on Windows Phone either natively or through an app.

The one feature of other competitors that Windows Phone have that seems appealing to me is that creepy Google Now. If you're talking functionality like that that Windows Phone needs to catch up on then I'm slightly inclined to agree.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The one thing I will say about Windows Phone 8 that may be the saving grace for MS is how its like they are moving to a single eco-system similar to that of how the iPad and iPhone work except I can almost envision the standard desktop Windows 8 included in that which to me is a big deal. Since the Windows 8 tablets are the full blown windows that will be a big boon that would be like the iPad having access to the Mac Store. And for all the touting and stuff Apple does for sales MS still is the dominate OS in the world and that is a major major major deal. If MS does like Apple does with Universal apps that could be a huge advantage.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm with socialcarpet. The core functionality is way more important I think. I understand it'd be great to have "wow" functionality but unless it's well thought out, it'll just be fluff. Watching the video the only stand out functions looks like the multimedia ones you already stated. Everything else seems like some software that can be done on Windows Phone either natively or through an app.

The one feature of other competitors that Windows Phone have that seems appealing to me is that creepy Google Now. If you're talking functionality like that that Windows Phone needs to catch up on then I'm slightly inclined to agree.

"WOW functionality" usually means "innovation" and that's what makes people buy new products. If you just worry about the core functionality people will look at your products with the same eyes they look at other products. WP8 needs better than that right now. It can't be seen as just one more OS out there, it has to be seen as the best OS.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
"WOW functionality" usually means "innovation" and that's what makes people buy new products.

Is it though?

These days, Android phones are given away for free on pathetically cheap contracts. That sells far more than any bells or whistles.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Apple has core functionality. Less about the wow factor other than Siri. They've sold out like crazy. But not a single OEM outsells them. As a whole, android outsells them though. Iphone seems more like it's own buzzword. There are still people who have feature phones looking to go to smartphones and I assume iphone is the buzzword that gets their attention.

Some people like the core basics when it comes to smartphones and some people like a little innovative genius to go along with it. WP8 I feel is nearing that point, but we still don't have a full list of things to expect from them. They just hope for us to expect greatness from them and show it by purchasing the new devices. I'll buy the new WP8 phones, but if I can't do simple tasks that other phones are doing and have been doing, then it will leave me to questions what the **** the devs are doing up there. A few of these simple things would be:

- Saving movie files from a received e-mail to my phone
- Separate media and ringer volume
- mp3 ringtones.....the right and easy way
- Color wheel use so I can have more tile colors
- Call forwarding (which I know we are getting)
- better music player functions. The way we make playlists now really SUCKS.
- More calendar views/better calendar views

Those are the main things that I am more interested in. The Notification center thing for me wasn't a HUGE deal, but I can see how it would make a difference. A better, less hands-on voice navigation would be cool too. And I'm not talking about Nokia Drive. Here in the US it wont say the streets. It says turn in 100 feet or sometimes even less. In heavily roaded areas I found this to be an issue and I've made a few wrong turns.

Oh and we are getting MMS right? Saw a video of a guy who actually got 7.8 on his phone with MMS, but the functionality was all jacked up and he couldn't send a file.

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
the guy sitting next to me has an S3. Its good, don't get me wrong, but aside from the camera it does nothing I can't already do (that I care about).

Its UI is junk, the vanilla android is infinitely better. S-Voice is a joke and most of what Samsung have added has added nothing to the quality of the device. Its a great spec and the camera is amazing, that's all.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
the guy sitting next to me has an S3. Its good, don't get me wrong, but aside from the camera it does nothing I can't already do (that I care about).

Its UI is junk, the vanilla android is infinitely better. S-Voice is a joke and most of what Samsung have added has added nothing to the quality of the device. Its a great spec and the camera is amazing, that's all.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but what makes the UI junk? I played with the S3 at the store the other day and I thought it was actually pretty good BUT:

- I'm tired of icons, I'm in love with tiles
- android in my experience aren't as reliable as iphones or WP devices. 5 different android devices and they all rebooted on me more often than they should
- I like WP social integration

I'm not going to call the UI junk, but I don't think it's as good as WP. If the android device can stay powered on then it gets the job done. Maybe not as fluid and seamless as WP, but it gets the job done.

Also, I DID NOT like the build of the S3. I like more substantial feeling phones. That phone was so light it felt like a fisher price phone. That's a selling point for some people I guess. Like you really need to go to a gym to hold up any phone these days lol.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
"WOW functionality" usually means "innovation" and that's what makes people buy new products. If you just worry about the core functionality people will look at your products with the same eyes they look at other products. WP8 needs better than that right now. It can't be seen as just one more OS out there, it has to be seen as the best OS.

People also by products because they do the same things in a BETTER way, and most people buy products based upon a general perception they have about what the product is and how it will make them feel. Very few people buy phones based on a bullet list of items. I can promise you the vast majority of the people who have Android phones never use the plethora of "features" packed into them, as many of them are quite useless to a normal, non-techie person and many are not packaged well or easy to use.

Windows Phone needs to be clearly presented as an attractive alternative to iPhone and Android, but the way to do that is not necessarily by trying to "out-feature" the Android phones. People who are attracted by hyperbolic ridiculously tacky advertising, dumb names thought up by a 13 year old and over-the-top feature overload and 7" screens are always going to go Android.

What Windows Phone needs to do is clearly differentiate itself from both of them.

This is not an iPhone. It's not trying to be an iPhone.

This is not an Android phone. It's not trying to be.

This is something different and it's better.

Here are 3 quick reasons why.

Bam. Bam. Bam.

Here's what the people who use this phone look like.

Bam. See this happy, clever, ruggedly handsome guy with the fashionable 5 o'clock shadow?

Bam. See this attractive woman late-20s, early 30s with the smart and stylish looking glasses and the sexy librarian look nibbling the pencil eraser?

That's you!

You're clever. You think outside the box. You aren't going to just get the same phone everyone else does just because they do it. You think for yourself.

The iPhone is too pass? for you. You're too smart to fall for the juvenile Android advertising schemes. Other people look to you to see what's next. You're a leader, not a follower.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
- Saving movie files from a received e-mail to my phone
- Separate media and ringer volume
- mp3 ringtones.....the right and easy way

Yes, please!

- Color wheel use so I can have more tile colors

No, can't do this because of the way the tile colors function. If you have an infinite spectrum of color, you wind up with the possibility of colors that would not show white text legibly enough and/or which would not work well as accent colors on black backgrounds. We need more colors for sure though, but we are getting that, even in 7.8 I think.

- Call forwarding (which I know we are getting)
- better music player functions. The way we make playlists now really SUCKS.
- More calendar views/better calendar views

Yes, please!

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
People also by products because they do the same things in a BETTER way, and most people buy products based upon a general perception they have about what the product is and how it will make them feel. Very few people buy phones based on a bullet list of items. I can promise you the vast majority of the people who have Android phones never use the plethora of "features" packed into them, as many of them are quite useless to a normal, non-techie person and many are not packaged well or easy to use.

Windows Phone needs to be clearly presented as an attractive alternative to iPhone and Android, but the way to do that is not necessarily by trying to "out-feature" the Android phones. People who are attracted by hyperbolic ridiculously tacky advertising, dumb names thought up by a 13 year old and over-the-top feature overload and 7" screens are always going to go Android.

What Windows Phone needs to do is clearly differentiate itself from both of them.

This is not an iPhone. It's not trying to be an iPhone.

This is not an Android phone. It's not trying to be.

This is something different and it's better.

Here are 3 quick reasons why.

Bam. Bam. Bam.

Here's what the people who use this phone look like.

Bam. See this happy, clever, ruggedly handsome guy with the fashionable 5 o'clock shadow?

Bam. See this attractive woman late-20s, early 30s with the smart and stylish looking glasses and the sexy librarian look nibbling the pencil eraser?

That's you!

You're clever. You think outside the box. You aren't going to just get the same phone everyone else does just because they do it. You think for yourself.

The iPhone is too pass? for you. You're too smart to fall for the juvenile Android advertising schemes. Other people look to you to see what's next. You're a leader, not a follower.

I don't think Microsoft wants WP to be like the rest. They want to be different and better than the rest, but people will always compare them. That's the way most of us humans are. But if WP can cover a few basic needs, get the camera quality up, and get their spec game up (to please the spec whores) then I believe WP will be flying off the shelves. I'm not sure about you folks, but I make it a habit to bring my phone out and make the tiles be shown, just so people can look over my should and say "hmmmmm"

My wife didn't even like the WP devices. she took a glance and when bleh. But I'm invite all new things at least a look at. I showed her the functions of the phone and then she fell in love. Now she wants nothing to do with an iphone or android. She just wants her Lumia to keep a damn wifi connection and stop rebooting lol.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
My Galaxy S3 is 100% stable. I've never seen a force close, reboot or dropped data connection, ever. And stock JB is pretty damn easy to install. Takes 5 minutes.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
My Galaxy S3 is 100% stable. I've never seen a force close, reboot or dropped data connection, ever. And stock JB is pretty damn easy to install. Takes 5 minutes.

How long have you had it for?

Many phones are good from the start, but once you start putting extra crap on it then thats when you start to see more faults. I'm not saying that yours will definitely do that. I'm just saying that usually they wont do it in the beginning.

Also, I know this is a free country and all, yada yada. But why are you still roaming the WP forums if you are 100 percent happy with your S3? still Curious as to what WP8 will bring? ;) Or is the S3 your main and you have a WP device as an alternate? And i say this jokingly, so dont take me seriously.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
How long have you had it for?

Many phones are good from the start, but once you start putting extra crap on it then thats when you start to see more faults. I'm not saying that yours will definitely do that. I'm just saying that usually they wont do it in the beginning.

Also, I know this is a free country and all, yada yada. But why are you still roaming the WP forums if you are 100 percent happy with your S3? still Curious as to what WP8 will bring? ;) Or is the S3 your main and you have a WP device as an alternate? And i say this jokingly, so dont take me seriously.

Since launch day, so I guess a bit over a month. And the problems you describe are true of any electronic device. My three-year old MacBook is gettin' pretty creaky and in need of a good formatting.

Totally and completely satisfied with the GS3 and Jelly Bean. The new UI is fluid and gorgeous, the notifications are excellent, and Google Now is hands down better than Siri (but probably still a gimmick). Google really stepped up its game with 4.1, and you can see Matias Duarte imparting his genius on the UI.

I came here hoping for a Lumia 900 on Verizon before they nuked unlimited data, saw it wasn't happening, got hideously turned off by the rabid fanboys (seriously, the worst of an OS), but still like WP (and got a GS3 to keep my unlimited data). I love typography and fonts, so the UI has always appealed to me. Still hoping Microsoft picks up its game a bit. I like Android, but I'm not tied to it, I'd buy a WP8 phone.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Since launch day, so I guess a bit over a month. And the problems you describe are true of any electronic device. My three-year old MacBook is gettin' pretty creaky and in need of a good formatting.

Totally and completely satisfied with the GS3 and Jelly Bean. The new UI is fluid and gorgeous, the notifications are excellent, and Google Now is hands down better than Siri (but probably still a gimmick). Google really stepped up its game with 4.1, and you can see Matias Duarte imparting his genius on the UI.

I came here hoping for a Lumia 900 on Verizon before they nuked unlimited data, saw it wasn't happening, got hideously turned off by the rabid fanboys (seriously, the worst of an OS), but still like WP (and got a GS3 to keep my unlimited data). I love typography and fonts, so the UI has always appealed to me. Still hoping Microsoft picks up its game a bit. I like Android, but I'm not tied to it, I'd buy a WP8 phone.

Every OS has it's extremist fanatics lol. That shouldn't turn people off from getting what they want. You should get what you want because you want it and it does what you'd like it to do. If android is your current flow and favorite, then people should respect that. It's not like you or any other person that isn't on the same OS is a Nazi.

I actually played with the S3 at the store the other day. slick phone. Samsung is pulling all the stops out. Android gives them room to explore new territory that they can't reach with WP devices. But everyone's experience wont be as good as yours. people will buy the S3 simply off of the name and reputation and because their friends have it. It's new, it's shiny, and it's red/blue and stuff lol. so the numbers are in Samsung's favor. With WP, they have alot of catching up to do and it wont easy. The came out of the game wrong and now they have tarnshed views because of previous iterations of WP devices. I just hope this time around they think it through FULLY before they release another upgrade come October.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills