We know this, but Microsoft has some catching up to do

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Note from Microsoft: if you don't like it, get another phone. The governments of the world may force the Google search bar onto my new Microsoft powered PC (which is the first thing I delete) but no such rules apply in the mobile world, which is filled with monopolies and locked in features and services.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I guess the key would be show how the apps people use already on their existing smartphones are better on a Windows Phone vs an iPhone or Android device. If they did that people may feel compelled to switch if they are going to get a better experience in the apps they already use.

At the end of the day that is what the end user cares about: Apps.

I'm not sure it is about apps. I mean, it is to some extent, but I think it'll matter to people who already have smartphones. And truthfully the ones that I truly rely on are Android-specific and will likely never be ported to WP because of how locked down the OS is. SwiftKey, native Dropbox, Tasker, Chrome (although it is on iOS too--the ability to have your home Chrome and home Chrome synced is outstanding), Wireless Tether (I'm not paying 100 bucks a year to unlock my phone, that's absurd). But for new users, apps won't matter much unless they find out there's no Words with Friends or something.

Android matters to me not because it's "better" whatever that means, but because it's open and flexible. Even iOS is more open than WP once you jailbreak and install Cydia/homebrew. So you're going to have a hard time attracting serious users, which is probably fine, but then you need to give consumers a reason to not buy iOS or Android. What's that reason?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I was once an Android user. while the customization was fun, I found myself always needing to fix something because I got reboot issues on various droid phones. The custom ROMs helped, but didn't solve the problem. Then it ate my batteries alive as well. My reason for coming over was need something more stable and a fresh new look. Stability was key for me and WP is just stable in my time of use. Battery life was way better than anything I had on Android stock batteries at that time (that time being Galaxy Nexus/Razr/Rezound timeframe)

There is still a huge number of people who currently don't own a smartphone and MS can easily grab those. And there is also this assumption that all Android users are perfectly happy with their phones which is not the case. So if they aren't happy with Android, we'd be quick to assume that they'll go iphone. But there is still that chance to grab some of those folks as well. WP phones wont ever come in 2nd anytime soon, but I do believe that they could reach at least 10 percent market share in a few years. The word will get around, the system will become more robust, and the people will be more open to using a WP phone.

Also, not all Android users use custom ROMS and are into all of that stuff. I had a neighbor who has used android for a few years because thats basically all they knew. I convinced them to get a Galaxy S2 since they were on T-mo. Keep in mind I had only used an Android for a year. Before that I used iphones for like 3 years. I showed her how much she could customize her phone and a ton of other features. She's happy with it now, but hates the rebooting it does occasionally. Can you imagine how many more older or younger people are in the same non-knowing boat as my friends? Yes, I think MS can grab a few more and start to turn the tides. Not dominating the market, but at least becoming a STRONG 3rd and not a weak 3rd in the rankings.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure it is about apps. I mean, it is to some extent, but I think it'll matter to people who already have smartphones. And truthfully the ones that I truly rely on are Android-specific and will likely never be ported to WP because of how locked down the OS is. SwiftKey, native Dropbox, Tasker, Chrome (although it is on iOS too--the ability to have your home Chrome and home Chrome synced is outstanding), Wireless Tether (I'm not paying 100 bucks a year to unlock my phone, that's absurd). But for new users, apps won't matter much unless they find out there's no Words with Friends or something.

Android matters to me not because it's "better" whatever that means, but because it's open and flexible. Even iOS is more open than WP once you jailbreak and install Cydia/homebrew. So you're going to have a hard time attracting serious users, which is probably fine, but then you need to give consumers a reason to not buy iOS or Android. What's that reason?

That would probably still be apps. People know all about apps now. The size of the app market is like how megapixels are for cameras. it doesn't matter how good your pictures are if you are the average consumer you think more = better. You have to show the average consumer that a) Your platform has a lot of apps and b) Those apps are a lot better on your platform than on the competitors.

All smart phones can check email, do calendar appointments and text message and what not. You want people to flock to WP then show them how Words with Friends is a better experience than on the iPhone. Invest money and time into showing developers how to take advantage of the platform to make their apps more appealing and through that they will gain more users and more users will = more revenue.

Cyruss1989

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The problem is many apps suck on WP7 compared to iOS or Android... The only apps I really like on WP7 are the WPcentral app and Weather/Cocktailflow.

I can't even read magazines on the goddamn Kindle app :(

Dropbox was also mentioned, on iOS and Android I can automatically back my pictures and videos up (full resolution unlike SkyDrive), WP7 only has bad third party apps.

I could continue the list, but I am tired.

The stability argument is also not valid in my eyes. In fact apps crash more often on my Lumia than on my One X. And Android offers a backup for Android, Microsoft has nothing usable.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
They better be, fans and the tech world is far too soft on Windows Phone because they have faith in what it can become but if fails. Then prepare to see an amount of hate bigger than the ones people have against Blackberry.

I'm hopeful WP8 is going to be great however.
Are you kidding me? No one knows Windows Phone even exists. If it fails, it will be a mere blip on the smartphone radar.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
People know it exists. They just don't care for it or care to look into it. They are content with what they have. The commercials leave too much to wonder about. With the right ads they could get people looking in their direction. Beta test commercials aren't the key.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
People know it exists. They just don't care for it or care to look into it. They are content with what they have. The commercials leave too much to wonder about. With the right ads they could get people looking in their direction. Beta test commercials aren't the key.

Think Nokia is giving a good direction by such adverts.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The problem is many apps suck on WP7 compared to iOS or Android :(

Dropbox was also mentioned, on iOS and Android I can automatically back my pictures and videos up (full resolution unlike SkyDrive), WP7 only has bad third party apps.

I could continue the list, but I am tired.

The stability argument is also not valid in my eyes. In fact apps crash more often on my Lumia than on my One X. And Android offers a backup for Android, Microsoft has nothing usable.
Wow.! Thanks for letting me know I have 243 sucky apps and games on both my Surround and L900. And you must be a really lucky guy, cause in nearly two years, and more than 500 app downloads, I can count all the apps that crashed on one hand. And of those, except for one, the developers were quite responsive and thanked me for pointing out the issue which was quickly corrected.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Nah man, WP fanboys have a version of WebOS syndrome--a bizarre admixture minor-OS martyrdom and the utter conviction that their OS is the best and everyone else is sheeple.
iOS and Android fanboys are annoying in their own right, but that martyr complex is awful. WebOS fanboys were unbearable.

Yeah, I hope MS knows what it's doing. It's forcing the Metro interface on W8, and that could end up being a colossal disaster, especially given how good Windows 7 is. My dad, for example, has already made it totally clear he's not buying W8.

Oh please.

And if its that bad, then by all means continue to not post. But it's just as insulting to lump everyone into this small minded opinion of yours

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Why is it every thread on WP 8 ends up being about WP 7's shortcomings???

Can we all agree WP 7.XX was a good OS that did it's job over the two years of it's exisitence replacing Windows Mobile but wasn't really as mature as other OS's and move on? WP 8 will be out to some degree before the end of November and in full force by 2013 and that is the concern and the hope for our preferred OS.

I respect a ton of opinion's on WP Central, and I am interested in how those opinions feel about the FUTURE of WP on the threads where that is the question. Not why WP 7.5 didn't explode.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
:p
Why is it every thread on WP 8 ends up being about WP 7's shortcomings???

Can we all agree WP 7.XX was a good OS that did it's job over the two years of it's exisitence replacing Windows Mobile but wasn't really as mature as other OS's and move on? WP 8 will be out to some degree before the end of November and in full force by 2013 and that is the concern and the hope for our preferred OS.

I respect a ton of opinion's on WP Central, and I am interested in how those opinions feel about the FUTURE of WP on the threads where that is the question. Not why WP 7.5 didn't explode.

I say the same thing all the time. Why complain all the time about the short comings if the WP 7, did what it was suppose to do. The didn't promise that it would be the end all of Phone OS'es. It did it's job for what it was made for and my phone did all that I asked of it.

WP 8 is MS evolution into stream lining and making a complete ecosystem where from the desktop to tablet to phone is one continuous platform with little to no differences. If you hate that WP 7 platform is being abandon then sorry, WP 7 was a good platform but if MS wants to stay alive they have to think big. With Win 8 they have finally decided to take a big chance and do something out the box and they want the WP 8 to match to give one experience across their portfolios.

I'm tired like everyone else of hearing short comings about this and that. If it's that bad then why are you here and why do you even have an WP? MS makes products that suit what I need so that's why I'm here and that's why I own a windows phone. I don't need the latest specs and apps as I use my phone as a phone first and foremost and don't spend my life on it. I come to WPcentral to learn about the new things about how WP is evolving not to cry about why I don't have the features of the other platforms.

If you need those features so much why did you buy a WP? The excuse of I wanted to try something different is a lie and means nothing. I equate that response to what I'll get from a drug addict. The feeling the drugs give dictates which ones they do. You needed something different equates to the same emotional high or lift. Something to make you feel better, give excitement.

Did anyone ever think of that when you seen all those people when the iPhone was launched. It was like watching addicts get there fix. When did electronic tools become like a drug to some where is gives them a high, instead of the device being what it is a tool to enhance life's task. Is life so bad that these electronic tools is all people have to look forward to.

I guess I'll deliver the ihammer or Droid X drill and see if I can get people lined up at home depot. :p

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Cool story bro. Seriously, the Zune was excellent, but it was 5 years too late to the market and should have been marketed better. And at this point in the game, ignorance is Microsoft's fault, not consumers. WP has been on the market for years, and Microsoft has done essentially nothing to push it. Last NPD survey I saw showed that 45% of smartphone buyers didn't know WP existed. Why should consumers care about a product Microsoft doesn't seem to care enough about to market?

I generally want to evacuate my bowels on 90% of the posts you make because they are almost always consist of you performing fellatio on the green robot, but I have to agree with what you've said here 100%.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I can't help but have some type of envy when I'm flooded with HTC one and GS3 commercials. Although it's simply a trade off game. WP will have those features that Androids and iPhones won't have. But why aren't they advertising it!

Morris McCain

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Titan2 not so happy owner

I can easily create a youtube playlist, but I have tried everything I know to get it to autoplay. I don't see an option. Where am I going wrong.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Tekhna, you've totally convinced me! My dedication to Windows was foolish and ill-advised. I have embraced the reality that is Android, and will be upgrading to Chromebooks and Android tablets and a sweet LG Optimus V!

That's great news, so you can stop posting here now. I have seen the light!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Tekhna, you've totally convinced me! My dedication to Windows was foolish and ill-advised. I have embraced the reality that is Android, and will be upgrading to Chromebooks and Android tablets and a sweet LG Optimus V!

That's great news, so you can stop posting here now. I have seen the light!

143atj.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism