Anyone having doubts about the WP8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
We all expect a little or alot of changes to come with WP8, but do you think WP8 will finally get us to the point where we can do nearly everything that Androids and iPhones can do? Take a look at the track record that Microsoft has had in the mobile realm. Although that have never really been on top, they have been in the mobile game a while. Here we are at WP 7.5....and we still don't have fully functional devices. When I say fully functional, I mean by comparison to iPhones, Android, and even Blackberry and Symbian. There are still a number of things those other phone can do what we can't. It's not a matter of how it's done, but what can be done.

So do you think WP8 will finally be that OS release that pushes us closer to more comparable uses?

TooiNawfyOffical

May 24, 2012
Visit site
We all expect a little or alot of changes to come with WP8, but do you think WP8 will finally get us to the point where we can do nearly everything that Androids and iPhones can do? Take a look at the track record that Microsoft has had in the mobile realm. Although that have never really been on top, they have been in the mobile game a while. Here we are at WP 7.5....and we still don't have fully functional devices. When I say fully functional, I mean by comparison to iPhones, Android, and even Blackberry and Symbian. There are still a number of things those other phone can do what we can't. It's not a matter of how it's done, but what can be done.

So do you think WP8 will finally be that OS release that pushes us closer to more comparable uses?

if u think about it everything in iOS6 Windows phone already have or is getting. Except for Siri. Facetime over cellular network we can do dat, 3D maps that's coming soon to Nokia map,Facebook and Twitter integration is already on widows phone and iOS6 Is barely getting Facebook integration, and iCloud we have SkyDrive but with 25GB Free Unlike 5GB With iOS6, But Android is the one with the big lead.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that feature-wise, WP8 will be about on par with iOS. It won't be as flexible as Android though, and it never will be. Whether that's a good thing or not really depends on your priorities.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hope you are not holding your breath.

If you are a tech geek think it this way - Windows Phone 8, iPhone 5 and Jelly Bean goodness - all these in less than 3-4 months time span! It is like being in a candy shop!

If Windows Phone 8 launches with promises to do things in 'upcoming updates' or 'future releases' - I wouldn't be the one standing like a fool in a queue to buy another Lumia.

As much as it kills me to say this, I will bite the bullet and let myself free of this psychological warfare of fanboyism. I will live life as a technology ******. Whoever will let me live free and happy right from the point when they charge my credit card about ?600, I will buy their product. Burnt once and I will only be a fool to sleep next to the fire again.

Hoping for a WP8 that won't be playing a catch up game but instead go a step ahead, only ONE feature ahead of others. Not asking for moon am I? :)

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Hope you are not holding your breath.

If you are a tech geek think it this way - Windows Phone 8, iPhone 5 and Jelly Bean goodness - all these in less than 3-4 months time span! It is like being in a candy shop!

If Windows Phone 8 launches with promises to do things in 'upcoming updates' or 'future releases' - I wouldn't be the one standing like a fool in a queue to buy another Lumia.

As much as it kills me to say this, I will bite the bullet and let myself free of this psychological warfare of fanboyism. I will live life as a technology ******. Whoever will let me live free and happy right from the point when they charge my credit card about ?600, I will buy their product. Burnt once and I will only be a fool to sleep next to the fire again.

Hoping for a WP8 that won't be playing a catch up game but instead go a step ahead, only ONE feature ahead of others. Not asking for moon am I? :)

Of course asking for some other features is not asking for the moon, but it's one of those things where if Microsoft doesn't implement X,Y,and Z then one of two things is going on. either they aren't in touch with what's really going in in the techsphere, or they simply don't care. There are features in 7.5 that are missing that have me scratching my head like "Really?" I mean, 7.5 was a giant step up from the previous version, but there are still something that I would call simple that aren't in it and then MS has waiting for a long time to probably and finally add them in. This is where sometimes I lose faith in them. I am totally hoping they make some cool, necessary, and innovative additions. But thats yet to be seen. They teased folks with the whole keynote thing, but there still isn't a firm list of things to expect. I know we are still a few months out, but there are people ditching WP and going back to Android because they don't really know what to expect this Fall/winter. People already put their bids in on 18 month contracts with their GS3 and One X. Even I feel like a bit of a fool waiting on the unknown. But, I'm here having some blind faith. I'm sure MS wont totally let us down....right?

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling Windows Phone will be mostly on par with iOS and Android in at least the "basic" things. Anything after that will be tailored strictly for their ecosystem. I feel they know this and more than anything rather capitalize on that then push for innovations to out do iOS and Android. Not saying it'll be completely absent in that area though.

In my mind, that's kind of a fool's errand. Rather it's better to build on the strengths and advantages you already have. Hence the interoperability of their products. Windows and Office, as usual with them, I see as the lynchpins, with 360 maybe a third. Really it's all about execution right now.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Of course asking for some other features is not asking for the moon, but it's one of those things where if Microsoft doesn't implement X,Y,and Z then one of two things is going on. either they aren't in touch with what's really going in in the techsphere, or they simply don't care. There are features in 7.5 that are missing that have me scratching my head like "Really?" I mean, 7.5 was a giant step up from the previous version, but there are still something that I would call simple that aren't in it and then MS has waiting for a long time to probably and finally add them in. This is where sometimes I lose faith in them. I am totally hoping they make some cool, necessary, and innovative additions. But thats yet to be seen. They teased folks with the whole keynote thing, but there still isn't a firm list of things to expect. I know we are still a few months out, but there are people ditching WP and going back to Android because they don't really know what to expect this Fall/winter. People already put their bids in on 18 month contracts with their GS3 and One X. Even I feel like a bit of a fool waiting on the unknown. But, I'm here having some blind faith. I'm sure MS wont totally let us down....right?

I totally see your point about waiting like a fool. I love my Windows Phone to bits. But one fine evening reading through all these tech blogs I realized that more than half the smartphone world has been using dual cores, high definition recording, superior cameras, super cool games while I have been playing waiting game. I am not a fan of super cool games like temple run and 1000 versions of angry birds because I love Xbox. But like you said, things make you scratch your head and you ask "Really?". I am getting eventually tired of responding "Yeah, it will soon be added" or "That feature wasn't initially on my phone but with xyz update, it will become super cool". The updates come and go, things get added but so many basic stuff get missed out. To name a few - sending pdf files, editing emails before forwarding, linking contacts forever etc. These things shouldn't me missed out again and again and again. But they do. We all sit here hoping there will be a next big thing that will make us happier than what we are. Then I realized, I've spent 20% of a technologically advanced and awesome decade waiting for using that technology. Life is too short.

These technologies change so fast, if we don't enjoy it now, when will we?
Windows Phone is super cool phone because it is simple, elegant, peaceful to look at and so alive. Lets not hope for a Windows Phone that will produce toilet tissues if we run out in a difficult situation, but surely a Windows Phone that will prevent me from responding "Yeah, next update will have that."

I now really want to say "Yes, Windows Phone does that too, but better!"
Amen!

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not to sure if MS has done much in the way of earning the trust of their WP customers given a few of the facts out there. I don't know why this thought struck me today but it did and its bugging me. I'm not going to act of impulse and just dive into an HTC one x or GS3. Trying here to have the patience of a monk. Lol.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I totally see your point about waiting like a fool. I love my Windows Phone to bits. But one fine evening reading through all these tech blogs I realized that more than half the smartphone world has been using dual cores, high definition recording, superior cameras, super cool games while I have been playing waiting game. I am not a fan of super cool games like temple run and 1000 versions of angry birds because I love Xbox. But like you said, things make you scratch your head and you ask "Really?". I am getting eventually tired of responding "Yeah, it will soon be added" or "That feature wasn't initially on my phone but with xyz update, it will become super cool". The updates come and go, things get added but so many basic stuff get missed out. To name a few - sending pdf files, editing emails before forwarding, linking contacts forever etc. These things shouldn't me missed out again and again and again. But they do. We all sit here hoping there will be a next big thing that will make us happier than what we are. Then I realized, I've spent 20% of a technologically advanced and awesome decade waiting for using that technology. Life is too short.

These technologies change so fast, if we don't enjoy it now, when will we?
Windows Phone is super cool phone because it is simple, elegant, peaceful to look at and so alive. Lets not hope for a Windows Phone that will produce toilet tissues if we run out in a difficult situation, but surely a Windows Phone that will prevent me from responding "Yeah, next update will have that."

I now really want to say "Yes, Windows Phone does that too, but better!"
Amen!

I agree! I'm tired of waiting too!
I want a Nokia or a HTC WP8 smartphone by the end of this year. And I want it with very good specs (quadcore), at least 4.3' screen, very good camera (if it is a Nokia, then I want PureView), many apps and games (exclusives or released at the same time as the iOS and Android versions), nice design, etc...

If the first Nokias and HTCs don't deliver this, I'll not wait for their second WP8 phones because I'm sick of this waiting game.

I've been literally waiting for more than 2 years for Nokia to release the best smartphone available in the market... the iPhone and Galaxy S killer... it didn't happen, why should I believe that it will happen this time (in the next 6 months)?

If they don't deliver I'll just quit this loyalty nonsense, because RIGHT NOW there are already phones that deliver this stuff that I want, I just don't buy them because they aren't the brand that I want.

But if I think about this with na opened mind, the brands that I want aren't giving me what I want and the brands that I don't want already have what I want. It sounds complicated, but maybe, just maybe, I want the brands that I think that I don't want!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree! I'm tired of waiting too!
I want a Nokia or a HTC WP8 smartphone by the end of this year. And I want it with very good specs (quadcore), at least 4.3' screen, very good camera (if it is a Nokia, then I want PureView), many apps and games (exclusives or released at the same time as the iOS and Android versions), nice design, etc...

If the first Nokias and HTCs don't deliver this, I'll not wait for their second WP8 phones because I'm sick of this waiting game.

I've been literally waiting for more than 2 years for Nokia to release the best smartphone available in the market... the iPhone and Galaxy S killer... it didn't happen, why should I believe that it will happen this time (in the next 6 months)?

If they don't deliver I'll just quit this loyalty nonsense, because RIGHT NOW there are already phones that deliver this stuff that I want, I just don't buy them because they aren't the brand that I want.

But if I think about this with na opened mind, the brands that I want aren't giving me what I want and the brands that I don't want already have what I want. It sounds complicated, but maybe, just maybe, I want the brands that I think that I don't want!

I think with MSFT brand loyalty does not fit the exact definition. Yes, I am with WP only because of my crazy love for the brand. I believe computing is what it is today because of MSFT and no one can drive innovations like MSFT did. I've even gone to an extent of calling this transition of MSFT and Windows branding as mega marathon as Windows PCs were. I believe that they will take over 90% of the market like they did with Windows PCs in 3 decades. But you know what? I want to live those 3 decades with the best technology on my palm. My loyalty towards WP has burnt me twice. Once with Mango/Tango and now with WP7.8/WP8.

At the end of the day, I am a customer first, a loyal customer next. If MSFT is out there to do its business and get money eventually from 90% of smartphone users in 30 years time, I will anyways end up using WP after 10 yrs from now. But at least I won't regret the fact that for these 10 year RIGHT NOW, I spent time being loyal and got nothing but false promises of a future that will change everything. I now want to believe, "Join us, we've changed everything RIGHT NOW". If MSFT can't say that, I am sure it doesn't expect you, me or anyone else to stick around living with 5 years behind the tech world.

But as said by others on this forum earlier, we are loyal, we love MSFT and WP and I can't deny that. I will be patient as a monk, only till WP8 hits the shelves and will keep my fingers crossed hoping that they've got everything right this time and that it will prove that no one drives innovation and tech like MSFT does. :)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Here we go with another, "mine is bigger than yours" thread. Let me ask you this. Is there anything that WP7.5 (or WP8) can do, that you can't do on other platforms? There is a guy named Ben who can help with that. It's all about balance.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Why do we always have to think that the grass is greener on the other side? WP8 will be based off the NT kernel the possibilities are light years beyond iOS and beyond Android. Wish more of us understood that but that seems to not be the case.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Here we go with another, "mine is bigger than yours" thread. Let me ask you this. Is there anything that WP7.5 (or WP8) can do, that you can't do on other platforms? There is a guy named Ben who can help with that. It's all about balance.

I agree that it's all about balance. Each platform has it's strengths and weaknesses, you just have to pick which ones are more important for you. I am excited about WP8, but I'm not going to blindly run out and buy it. I'm going to compare what it does with the new features on the iphone and the new android phones that are available. I do think that those of us who like WP have to accept that android will always be on the cutting edge with features because of the competition between manufacturers and the openness of the operating system.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it's all about balance. Each platform has it's strengths and weaknesses, you just have to pick which ones are more important for you. I am excited about WP8, but I'm not going to blindly run out and buy it. I'm going to compare what it does with the new features on the iphone and the new android phones that are available. I do think that those of us who like WP have to accept that android will always be on the cutting edge with features because of the competition between manufacturers and the openness of the operating system.

I agree with you.

In terms of cutting edge and tinkering, I would rather play on my desktop than on my phone. Linux on my desktop lets me do all the fun stuff with desktop customization and using the CLI. Being root in Linux is fun, but I don't care to root an Android.

I'd rather not mess around with my phone. I used BlackBerries for 3 years, and shrinking the OS/installing leaked and hybrid OSes got to be tiresome.

I enjoy tweaking my desktop computer, but I prefer that my smartphone just works without any special tweaks.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't waste time being concerned with something that doesn't affect my experience. If it works out for me then that's what matters

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't waste time being concerned with something that doesn't affect my experience. If it works out for me then that's what matters

I'm glad you can say that at the moment. Unfortunatly some of us need our Windows Phones with better cameras, more horse power for apps and games comparable to the best ones in the competition, and more apps in general. Of course we can say that WP8 is going to have all that. Well, in fact it supports all that but as off now we don't really know if the first phones will actually have those things. I'll wait for those first WP8 devices, but they better deliver because I'm not going to wait for the second round...

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunatly some of us need our Windows Phones with better cameras, more horse power for apps and games comparable to the best ones in the competition, and more apps in general.

Heh, need or want?

Anyways, similar to what I said in another thread and what others have said above, unless you know what you want you're probably always gonna be looking at the other side of the fence. Look at both jimski and cckgz4. I doubt they really care about what the competition has or any bragging rights one might derive.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Why do we always have to think that the grass is greener on the other side? WP8 will be based off the NT kernel the possibilities are light years beyond iOS and beyond Android. Wish more of us understood that but that seems to not be the case.

I agree with you.

In terms of cutting edge and tinkering, I would rather play on my desktop than on my phone. Linux on my desktop lets me do all the fun stuff with desktop customization and using the CLI. Being root in Linux is fun, but I don't care to root an Android.

I'd rather not mess around with my phone. I used BlackBerries for 3 years, and shrinking the OS/installing leaked and hybrid OSes got to be tiresome.

I enjoy tweaking my desktop computer, but I prefer that my smartphone just works without any special tweaks.

Heh, need or want?

Anyways, similar to what I said in another thread and what others have said above, unless you know what you want you're probably always gonna be looking at the other side of the fence. Look at both jimski and cckgz4. I doubt they really care about what the competition has or any bragging rights one might derive.

Guys just because this thread talks about what we think of WP8 does not mean we are not all in the same team. Of course input from two different spectra always helps but then this thread wasn't about and isn't about what isn't present in WP7. It is more or less about 'having doubts' of what WP8 can and will do.

Of course more than 95% of us guys using WP7.5 are happy with what the phones are and what they do. But the point was, x will come with an update, y will be solved with an update, z was featured to be in an update and then all of a sudden the cat dies.

Hence the OPs post stands relevant as in, do we have doubts for WP8? Yes, because it will have to stop playing catch up. No, I don't doubt that WP will be a success. It will be. But not with WP8. It might become better than WP7 but not better than others out there. It might genuinely threaten others with WP9 and might be a strong competitor with WP10. It is a speculation based on MSFT's history with WM6.5 and WP7. Nothing wrong if people have reservations with WP8 initially.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Guys just because this thread talks about what we think of WP8 does not mean we are not all in the same team. Of course input from two different spectra always helps but then this thread wasn't about and isn't about what isn't present in WP7. It is more or less about 'having doubts' of what WP8 can and will do.

Of course more than 95% of us guys using WP7.5 are happy with what the phones are and what they do. But the point was, x will come with an update, y will be solved with an update, z was featured to be in an update and then all of a sudden the cat dies.

Hence the OPs post stands relevant as in, do we have doubts for WP8? Yes, because it will have to stop playing catch up. No, I don't doubt that WP will be a success. It will be. But not with WP8. It might become better than WP7 but not better than others out there. It might genuinely threaten others with WP9 and might be a strong competitor with WP10. It is a speculation based on MSFT's history with WM6.5 and WP7. Nothing wrong if people have reservations with WP8 initially.

Exactly. You get it. As do other folks. Which has me wondering what MS is thinking about in the lab. I wonder if they will ever throw out a few tidbits of info concerning some new features in WP8 sometime sooner rather than later. You know, to keep more of their customers on their side and keep them from possibly jumping ship.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077