Anyone having doubts about the WP8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
The question actually is Do we absolutely need multi-cores? There is of course nothing bad in having a couple of 'em... But its somewhere need vs want debate.

My answer to that is yes, I think we do need them.

Tell how are we going get games like GTAIII, or even better ones, running smoothly on our phones in the long run using just single cores? It's impossible to have the same quality as when you use multi core [to give you another example with GTAIII, see it running on iPhone4 (single core) and iphone4S (dual core). The difference is clear].

Now, I know that many of you don't care about gaming on smartphones, but games are getting more and more important and many consumers out there have replaced their portable consoles by smartphones.

Also, it's not just about games, there are apps that need more horse power. If we don't have that power we will not see our phones running better and better apps as the time goes by.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
We don't really "need" dual core or better processors for WP, but at more features are added to the operating system more horsepower will eventually be needed. It's not about smoothness and fluidity either. Opening apps, switching apps, playing games, all of that is helped with more power. I just don't understand why so many are against a more powerful phone. And yes, not all androids with dual core run smooth, but a dual core iPad or iPhone 4S runs pretty nice. If my WP had the hardware of the phone I'm currently typing on it would be easily the baddest phone on the market.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, we really don't know what they have in store for WP8 nor do we truly know how resources will be utilized. If anything it could be more of a selling point and it could help the capabilities of some of the cameras we will be getting on a WP8 device. If anything another core SHOULDNT hurt anything. Not even the price. I mean the HTC devices were pricey enough.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
We don't really "need" dual core or better processors for WP, but at more features are added to the operating system more horsepower will eventually be needed. It's not about smoothness and fluidity either. Opening apps, switching apps, playing games, all of that is helped with more power. I just don't understand why so many are against a more powerful phone. And yes, not all androids with dual core run smooth, but a dual core iPad or iPhone 4S runs pretty nice. If my WP had the hardware of the phone I'm currently typing on it would be easily the baddest phone on the market.

Scottcraft, I for one am not against multi cores...I'm currently running a dual core phone, the RaZr. I have had HD7 before this. Ask me which one is faster? HD7. To start an app, close an app, going from one app to another... do all of that super fast and super smooth.

Somewhere, with a lots of tweaks, your phone is pushed to its limits.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

The same reason you don't understand why people are against it is the same reason why I don't understand why people think they aren't coming and are starting doom and gloom threads as a result.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The same reason you don't understand why people are against it is the same reason why I don't understand why people think they aren't coming and are starting doom and gloom threads as a result.

I wouldn't say that..its just his opinion. Just like u have urs...this is no " doom and gloom thread". Its a healthy mix of people where some believe we need multi core and some don't. That's it.

Its nice to have a beast of a phone no doubt, but just that just because other platforms are doing it so should we is wrong IMHO.
Yes, it is the order of the day, need of the hour and all that...but it comes down to necessity. If let's say u reached office on time everyday in, let's say a Beetle. Would you still buy a Ferrari? You ARE reaching on time mind you. Then would you still buy an expensive sports car for the same purpose that can be served by a regular car??
Its personal and subjective TBH.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure that dual cores are coming in the next 3 months to WP8 (at least from HTC and Samsung. Not so sure about Nokia, they might want to wait until next year as they aren't a company known for having beast phones).
But what I'm afraid of is that there aren't coming any quad cores in the beggining and we are going to keep playing the catching game. Seeing other brands being able to receive apps that WP8 can't receive because the available phones don't have enough horse power is not going to be nice. But then again, I really hope that I'm wrong.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Scottcraft, I for one am not against multi cores...I'm currently running a dual core phone, the RaZr. I have had HD7 before this. Ask me which one is faster? HD7. To start an app, close an app, going from one app to another... do all of that super fast and super smooth.

Somewhere, with a lots of tweaks, your phone is pushed to its limits.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

I have an HTC Rezound. In pretty much every real world situation it is faster than my HTC Trophy. That doesn't mean my Trophy isn't enjoyable to use because it is, but the only real advantage the Trophy has is it's very smooth and it has the flip-style transitions that are beautiful. I think the Trophy competes well, but it's just a step slow, but that is understandable considering the vast difference in hardware.

I agree, don't understand why people think better hardware isn't coming when Microsoft has said it is.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure that dual cores are coming in the next 3 months to WP8 (at least from HTC and Samsung. Not so sure about Nokia, they might want to wait until next year as they aren't a company known for having beast phones).
But what I'm afraid of is that there aren't coming any quad cores in the beggining and we are going to keep playing the catching game. Seeing other brands being able to receive apps that WP8 can't receive because the available phones don't have enough horse power is not going to be nice. But then again, I really hope that I'm wrong.

WP8 might not have the exact horsepower as the latest androids, but if they are in the same ballpark they will be ok.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Why quad core? How many Android phones have quad core? None, what about PCs? None. Not saying they aren't needed but it certainly isn't necessary to desire them so early in the stages of the OS especially since we have yet to know how it'll run on a dual core.

First it was dual core, now it's quad core. What's next? Octacore? Will it ever be enough till we're satisfied and these discussions will stop?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Why quad core? How many Android phones have quad core? None, what about PCs? None. Not saying they aren't needed but it certainly isn't necessary to desire them so early in the stages of the OS especially since we have yet to know how it'll run on a dual core.

First it was dual core, now it's quad core. What's next? Octacore? Will it ever be enough till we're satisfied and these discussions will stop?

I think the desire of quad core is coming from the urge to leap forward the competitions. It is only the same thing as app numbers. Sheeps walk towards the platform with 'millions of apps'. Without reading the small print that 400,000 are never even downloaded and rest 200,000 contain replica of boob apps and fart apps.

Same thing with cores, "It has 2 cores so it is faster than others" - sold!
Android and iOS are already on dual cores since a year and WP is just about to enter dual cores. So the general fear that by the time we match dual cores, others "might" move to quad core is raising this concern and pseudo-need. Just so that we are with the competition and an app/game that goes for quad-core doesn't neglect WP and the cycle continues of more apps, more customers, more apps etc.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

Technology advance quickly these days. There will be SOME function that can utilize that quad core spec. Who knows what. Maybe that taking a picture while recording a video thing is quad cores. Who knows.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

what??

htc one x and sgs3 both have quad core (international versions).

Also many pcs have quad core for a couple years now...

You spout a lot of trash but have no clue what you're talking about

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The answer to the original question is no. Windows Phone 8 will NOT get this platform to do what android or IOS can do. It doesn't have to at this stage.

First Android.
That device has tested and failed at more than any device in modern history. Which gives them a development leg up. ICS is the best they have and its not bad.

JellyBean is crapware. Its broken, windows scroll slow and all the noise about butter is just that. Noise. In order to give this butter appearance, they fixed the scroll to be so slow, you don't notice the screen rewrite. I have the Nexus 7 and its nothing to write home about. Seriously nothing. JellyBean a place holder much like Honeycomb is. Nexus 7 was produced to compete with androids BEST SELLING TABLET the Amazon Fire.

IOS for iphone is also a well tested OS. Its added some wonderful notification it lifted from the hoard of open source available on Android and its well implemented. I expect it will continue to innovate and add stuff like social integration but its will remain a force through at least IOS 6.

Windows Phone With all the development Microsoft has done from servers to the desktop, it will remain true to its base. Its solid in design, all about business and its reflected in their phones. Unlike IOS which are well designed but flashy, fun to look at as well as easy to use, Microsoft is a good bit more serious when it comes to their work product. It shows in how they police the SDK and what they will and won't allow on their phones. It very protective of its core and trusts no one. Balmer knows the stakes and he's not about to blow it because of this urgency to best the other platforms. It moves slower but like a glacier, when it moves it moves like a cruise ship. It didn't dominate with MS Office overnight. It didn't with its desktop OS overnight. It didn't with XBOX and it won't with its Windows Phone. But one thing Microsoft is, is big muscles. But it will put android on its be-hind with Windows Phone 8 as the platform grows (and Microsoft Surface). Then by the time Windows phone 9 drops, it'll be Apple Vs Microsoft all over again.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
:excl:Warning I did not read through the whole thread of replies:excl:

In regards to the OP I think WP8 will bring many of the missing features other devices have. I am not to worried that there will be some major shortfall for the most part. What I am worried about is the continued lack of any sort of major acceptance of either the consumers or the developers. I think WP in general is the most aesthetically pleasing OS and I feel it is the best at what a user would want in general which is quick information on the fly. Obviously it has some obvious short comings currently but I think WP8 will fix a large majority of them. Whether or not the public decides to acknowledge we shall see but moving to Native Code may help move some developers anyways especially if they can build from a WP8 app add a few more things and make it a full blown Windows 8 app.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Technology advance quickly these days. There will be SOME function that can utilize that quad core spec. Who knows what. Maybe that taking a picture while recording a video thing is quad cores. Who knows.

The Galaxy S3 and HTC One X can take a picture while recording video on the quad core international versions and the dual core US versions. That's a pretty cool feature too if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb