Is it me, or is there a lack of excitement for WP8?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi again folks. Many of us are either doubting or really getting psyched about the new WP8 phones coming out. In my opinion, I'm not sure if there is enough excitement building for it. I don't know if it is because of the naysayer tech bloggers or what, but outside of WPCentral and WMPoweruser, I'm not feeling the excitement that normally surrounds a new mobile OS and a new set of devices to come with it. Sites are dissing it even before they know of it's full features. I know it's only human to have doubts, but voicing doubts without full knowledge of things to come only points some people AWAY from this new thing. The new customers we could grab could be shying away from WP8 because of these techbloggers and whatnot. At the same time, Microsoft isn't giving us much to go off of. It's actually the OEMs rumor mill that is gaining a bit of steam. What do you guys think?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft he's never been pushy when it comes to advertising products. I would hope we get a positive media push before launch. We will see soon how it is handled. We still have time. With the update of Windows and the addition of the three screens I believe Microsoft will create a buzz at some point. It might be after launch. I think at this point they just want to keep the feature set under raps as long as possible to slow the competition.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, with other OS and other OEMs it seems their hype train is pumped up at this point before releasing their phones. At the same time, WP isn't as well established as the other two major OS either, so that could be part of the reason. I feel MS still needs to build themselves some more hype and try to get the opening week sales up a bit. You know, try to grab that traction a bit earlier before the holiday seasons begin. Apple is grabbing all the hype at this point with stores lowering prices on iphone 4s devices. But we all know that apple doesn't even need to hype themselves up. The world hypes themselves up for Apple and Apple just grins while Steve is in his grave grinning as well. I'm not saying MS has to openly compete like they did with the "smoke by a windows phone" campaign. They just need to build some hype around a specific set of features whether it be business savvy or just some good old tech geek juice.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Right now it doesn't seem like there is as much buzz regarding WP8 as you would think there would be. I think it will pick up closer to launch though. When mango was fixing to be released these forums were quite lively, so I think it will be the same for WP8.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I think this silence is extremely essential and in turn will benefit us. I remember the Mango days when those 200+ features even though hyped and talked about a lot, were nothing in the world's eyes. Of course we found that a substantial update but because iOS had most of that bundled up in no time and got them on iOS, it killed the Mango buzz in no time. If MSFT can keep these features quiet, the buzz quiet for a while, I am sure as much as we are wondering here, guys at Apple and Google are impatient to find out too. The less we know, the better.

MSFT did create small ripples of buzz last couple of months with Surface, then W8 previews, then new MSFT accounts, then new SkyDrive layout, then new anti-piracy encryption, leaked SDK etc. So I think MSFT does want to be in lime light for a while but not so much that it easily gives out. The less we know, more we will hope there is to come. And that will hopefully get us all buzzing, including techblogs who are bashing MSFT for various reasons right now. So the hype you are looking at should build up around 1st Sept and last till mid-Sept and then another wave starts at mid-Oct until we all grab WP8 ;) If Sept 5th is good enough, the buzz it will generate will stay on till Oct 26th! (Amen to that!)

jusdis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
No major breakthroughs. Nothing spectacular or new in ANY devices (HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED AS OF YET). Everything new coming is just little upgrades and changes (HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED AS OF YET) . IMO, There isn't really anything mind-blowing being released (HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED AS OF YET) in the coming months to be THAT excited about. And Not just windows phone..... even the new iphone Isn't really anything to be excited about. It seems spec wise and feature wise every phone is reaching a "same" point.(HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED AS OF YET)

Last edited:

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if you have average customers really being influenced by any tech bloggers. Most people I know with any kind of smartphone couldn't even begin to tell you what a tech blogger is. I find most people either don't know WP exist or don't know enough about it to care.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe when we know what all the features are in the new OS and what the new devices will look like, until then only sites like this will have people talking about it and be excited.

No major breakthroughs. Nothing spectacular or new in ANY devices. Everything new coming is just little upgrades and changes. IMO, There isn't really anything mind-blowing being released in the coming months to be THAT excited about. And Not just windows phone..... even the new iphone Isn't really anything to be excited about. It seems spec wise and feature wise every phone is reaching a "same" point.

And how do you know all this about WP8 any of the new devices coming? Any suggestions for something more spectacular?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think some of us here on the forums aren't getting too excited since we like the current WP7.5 devices we have now.

I am happy with my current device and do not see any compelling reason to be an early adopter of a WP8 device.

I'll probably be happy with the 7.8 update and wait until next year or 2014 until I get a new device.

jusdis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Maybe when we know what all the features are in the new OS and what the new devices will look like, until then only sites like this will have people talking about it and be excited.

And how do you know all this about WP8 any of the new devices coming? Any suggestions for something more spectacular?

There you go bud, I edited my post. That should clarify to you that it is "IMO" and that I'm refering to what HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED AS OF YET

Sorry about the confusion. That being said, Can you tell me, have ANY of the rumors left you excited for WP8? Have you heard anything that is going to be mind-blowing enough to be physically EXCITED for its release?

jusdis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I think some of us here on the forums aren't getting too excited since we like the current WP7.5 devices we have now.

I am happy with my current device and do not see any compelling reason to be an early adopter of a WP8 device.

I'll probably be happy with the 7.8 update and wait until next year or 2014 until I get a new device.

That's the way I see it as well. 7.8 will allow us to change our tile sizes along with some other cosmetic changes. Other than that I haven't heard anything OS SPECIFIC that's major enough to excite me. I see some specs in the RUMORED WP8 hardware that I like, but still nothing to be overly excited about.

I stuck some underlines and colors and caps in there so CERTAIN users reading this will understand that im not stating FACTS

*cough, theefman cough* ;)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i think its a good thing not having TOO much excitement.

less people get dissapointed! look what happened to mango , rumors GALOR and BAM dissapointing fest!

Not like apple .. HUGE EXITEMENT for duel-core and siri.... lol ... just deppends on fan base. Apple = more Ifans = more excitement

it is just a phone after all , not like we landed a humain on MARS then made a phone call with a WP... :lol:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The average consumer out there does not know these tech blogs exist. They go by what their local or cable news network and what their friends say. They also go by what the carrier reps are saying. That being said,since almost all carriers are excited about WP8 I think we will see them steer more consumers towards WP.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
strait up!

look at *BELL mob* in Canada they are right now number 1 or 2 and have advertising runing 24/7 for all their phone and products

YET! they currently dont have a SINGLE WP for sale... thats millions of clients not getting in on/or knowing about the action!!

all because the OLD CEO of bell told MS to put it where the sun dont shine.

1 guy! 1 guy posibly responsible for lossing a TON of cliens..

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree, but maybe that's just because things are becoming over saturated and plateauing? It's like every month you hear about this leak or that leak or special announcement. Yeah it still gets some buzz, but this isn't like a year or even two years ago. I'd say these things are slowly becoming the norm.

Or perhaps it's really just the WP crowd. MS made their announcements and we've seen what there is already. Hopefully the rest is them being tight lipped.

Other than that, maybe come back on Sept 5th?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
There you go bud, I edited my post. That should clarify to you that it is "IMO" and that I'm refering to what HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED AS OF YET

Sorry about the confusion. That being said, Can you tell me, have ANY of the rumors left you excited for WP8? Have you heard anything that is going to be mind-blowing enough to be physically EXCITED for its release?

We havent heard the full story yet, so really I am not making any calls whether things are exciting or not in general. Personally though, I think the sum of the parts of what has been leaked for WP8 is pretty exciting for someone in the MS ecosystem. WP8 looks like it will be a real extension of Windows 8 and the Xbox and that is exciting to me since I will be using both. Whatever else is announced will just make it better.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm betting that we'll see more of a push once Windows 8 is released. I can see Microsoft pointing out how well the WP8 devices will play with their computers. I'm looking to dive in head first and pick up either a Surface Pro or Windows 8 laptop plus a WP8 phone.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone rumor train has already started. It's too late for that, now. Microsoft are bad at timing their advertising campaigns. Only RIM is worse.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe the silence that is currently going on is just a "prepping" for the coming system. Think, what if we'd know already now what we will have in WP8. There wouldn't be any excited people, as everybody would know what it'll be coming. And when they introduce and unveil the system, everyone will be just like o_O when they'll see what they're providing. You know what I mean, the silence before the storm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers