x86 the next logical step for windows phone?

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Why has almost no one yet mentioned the idea of putting x86 chips on a windows phone? a version of the intel atom (1.6GHz Intel Atom Z2460 CPU) is powering the gingebread android phone named orange sandiego.

here are some benchmark comparisons from the verge
orange-san-diego-intel-medfield-review

"more corez" is not always everything :lol: the 1.6GHz Intel Atom Z2460 CPU would be a perfect choice for wp8 if microsoft took time to optimize it to the fullest so oems can put it in their future phones.

Now for the hardcore gamers out there this might be the future of mobile gaming for windows phone look no further than the next generation of AMD's E series cpu's. The video bellow compares the chip in the orange sandiego (1.6GHz Intel Atom Z2460 CPU) to their new E series line expected later this year.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6XixkwEUhM[/YT]

So do you think x86 is the next big step for windows phone? i would like to hear from you

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, that would be like you would have literally a mini computer in your pocket/hand. Think about the possibilities with that hardware. My thoughts are that multiple cores can be "replaced" by higher frequencies, but in some situations an extra core would be good (HD video shooting/playing, programs, games..)

But there is also the problem about battery life and gaming. Some games could be pretty graphical intense, and that could chew it up quickly.

Btw, the same processor is found in the Lava XOLO X900 Android phone.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Why has almost no one yet mentioned the idea of putting x86 chips on a windows phone? a version of the intel atom (1.6GHz Intel Atom Z2460 CPU) is powering the gingebread android phone named orange sandiego.

here are some benchmark comparisons from the verge
Click to view quoted image

"more corez" is not always everything :lol: the 1.6GHz Intel Atom Z2460 CPU would be a perfect choice for wp8 if microsoft took time to optimize it to the fullest so oems can put it in their future phones.

Now for the hardcore gamers out there this might be the future of mobile gaming for windows phone look no further than the next generation of AMD's E series cpu's. The video bellow compares the chip in the orange sandiego (1.6GHz Intel Atom Z2460 CPU) to their new E series line expected later this year.
Click to view quoted video

So do you think x86 is the next big step for windows phone? i would like to hear from you

They put out too much heat. They are too big. They use too much power. Completely unneeded. These phones already are pocket computers.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
My HTPC, which I use as my DVR is a Giada A50-BA531 with an AMD Fusion E350 1.6G APU Dual Core and an ATI Radeon 6310 video chipset. It's pretty powerful. Even when I am recording a show and watching a recorded show at the same time, it never goes much above about 55% CPU usage.

bruceleer0y

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I want to understand what everyone's talking about, but I can't and my head hurts!

:Nevermind I understand now

I personally prefer gaming on my pc. It feels more comfortable, but if they find a way to make this work it would be exciting.

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Don't see any big step

So do you think x86 is the next big step for windows phone?

Why should a little more power result in a big step? After all, Intel's smartphone CPUs are not twice as fast as their ARM competition, not even 50% faster. For graphic-intensive games sometimes favored by those "hardcore gamers" it's the GPU anyway which defines what's possible.

On the power-consumption front, after a long time and much, much effort on Intel's side those CPUs are finally suitable for smartphones. But hey, a big step would be something with half the power consumption.

I think anyway that for 95% percent of those smartphone users who do not happen to be hardcore gamers a longer battery life with still decent performance would be more interesting than still more raw power.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it will be practical for the phone form factor. Too much heat and it will drain battery. ARM processors can pretty much shut off when not in use. x86 CPUs can't do that.

While there will surely be advances for x86, there will also be advances in ARM as well.

The battlefront will be in larger mobile devices, where we can have huge batteries and the need for full scale productivity and power may be in more demand than battery life.

I'd actually like to see a tri-core x86 processor, where one core is reserved just for running the OS itself, and background functions. Maybe have that particular core just be in the 166Mhz range, with very low power consumption. The other two cores would only be used when needed. They could be the typical 1Ghz.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa