vs
playbooknavigator.jpg

Blackberry-OS-10-467x600.jpg

who do you think will win and give reasons please

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
MS... Simply put, right or wrong, people will be buying new PCs with Win8 and the Win8 style will be in everyone's face. While I can understand resistance to change, I think people will start to like the new UI and if so, that should translate to WP8 purchases.

However, if Win8 flops on the PC, then it's anyone's ballgame and BB has a chance to succeed in mobile.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
MS... Simply put, right or wrong, people will be buying new PCs with Win8 and the Win8 style will be in everyone's face. While I can understand resistance to change, I think people will start to like the new UI and if so, that should translate to WP8 purchases.

However, if Win8 flops on the PC, then it's anyone's ballgame and BB has a chance to succeed in mobile.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
Which is unlikely that Windows 8 will flop because most windows 8 sales will be tablets. every always wanted a all in one computer. with using x86 apps, with also using a touch friendly OS while on the go. I bet people will get windows 8 devices and people in enterprise will rush to get these type of devices

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Windows will win not because it is better but simply because RIM isn't largely enough to compete in the mobile space in 2012/2013. Their whole market cap is less than what samsung and Apple are using to gain economics of scale in the supply chain, let along the massive marketing budgets they have.

MS has the scale and profitable products to support their activities, RIM does not.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Windows will win not because it is better but simply because RIM isn't largely enough to compete in the mobile space in 2012/2013. Their whole market cap is less than what samsung and Apple are using to gain economics of scale in the supply chain, let along the massive marketing budgets they have.

MS has the scale and profitable products to support their activities, RIM does not.

I see that today someone liked this post - forward on six months and I'm not so sure - Microsoft (and OEMs) have made a number of mis-steps with WP8, the Lumia launch in the UK was a bit of a shambles and while I'm still not sure that Blackberry can make it beyond number three or indeed if the last few positive days for them signal a spring (not enough data yet) - I'm not seeing anything that suggests that WP will be more than a very distant third even if it fights off the Blackberry challenge - it's still an uphill struggle for both (relatively to the big two) but Microsoft's lack of focus and inability to attract more big name developers* is not a good sign.

Short version: I'm more downbeat about the future of WP and more positive about BB10.

* Because even if you don't want apps yourself, being able to attract top-flight app developers is a positive sign.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Does BB offer anything unique anymore? They grew from gaining a great corporate email foothold. They were the best at using the smartphone as a productivity and quick messaging tool. At their peak, the iPhone was seen as an entertainment-first device by corp IT departments.

Now, since we can all get our exchange access with any smartphone....so BB is no longer 'standard' for that. Also, BB used to be the clear productivity leader in terms of who can bang out an email more easily on the go. Used to be that the advantage in quickly checking and responding to big boy communications was much greater. Now with how great type-ahead is on soft keyboards (also voice input) that advantage is gone. Sure BB may still best for that, but it's certainly debatable at this point instead of a universal nod in their favor.

So between the 4 existing ecosystems. Which one has a truly unique advantage? They are all pretty much different flavors of doing the same thing. All of them are now easy to use and move around in. All do great email, maps, apps, etc. We can debate the details but its no longer about productivity vs entertainment. They are all good at both now. But apple, MS, and google are huge ecosystems that aren't going away. BB isn't an ecosystem, its just a device that can access your Gmail, ms corp exchange, etc. That's fine, I connect to Gmail with my winphone. Last thing we want is 3 big walled gardens. But for new users, people are able to associate winphone and windows, google with android, etc.

I can see BB winning back die hards, but for a new smartphone user....what is the draw? At least MS created a unique interface, BB just made another app-grid-widget solution like android.

I hope BB succeeds as well as winphone and everyone has at least 10% of the market. But MS can absorb a lot of mobile loss for years as they push their new skydrive/win8 ecosystem. Kind of sucks that BB's very existence is riding on them carving out a niche by trying to become a 'good enough' alternative that does the same stuff as the others.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The only reason RIM was ever big was because it was THE smartphone. Blackberry was the first secure smartphone that business could trust and consumers could understand. Old BlackBerry users have moved on, I not know anybody who has purchased a BlackBerry device within the last 2 years. I don't even know anybody who is still holding on to a Blackberry device! (except my dad, but he's about to buy a windows phone) They waited too long and the market has moved on.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
BlackBerry 10 excels where WP is weak: Notification center, multi-tasking, universal search and a gesture based UI. Microsoft has to include these features, has to develop WP faster.

Microsoft has to leverage its current assets to gain an advantage. I hope to see the next year the platforms unified: Phone, Tablet, Xbox and Desktop running the same OS and services, giving a continuous and seamless experience for users and developers.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has to leverage its current assets to gain an advantage. I hope to see the next year the platforms unified: Phone, Tablet, Xbox and Desktop running the same OS and services, giving a continuous and seamless experience for users and developers.

This. This is why my family recently went from android to winphone, bought Xbox, upgraded win7 to win8, and will likely buy a surface or equivalent tablet this year. For a seamless "3 screens" solution. Been a mixed bag so far but it's coming along nicely. Really curious as to what their next wave will look like. We know the new Xbox will help continue the momentum. We are seeing a lull after the unveiling in October. I hope that is more a reflection of getting the new Xbox right than lack of commitment to a unified ecosystem.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
This. This is why my family recently went from android to winphone, bought Xbox, upgraded win7 to win8, and will likely buy a surface or equivalent tablet this year. For a seamless "3 screens" solution. Been a mixed bag so far but it's coming along nicely. Really curious as to what their next wave will look like. We know the new Xbox will help continue the momentum. We are seeing a lull after the unveiling in October. I hope that is more a reflection of getting the new Xbox right than lack of commitment to a unified ecosystem.

My opinion on the 3 screens thing (I too am heavily invested in all things Microsoft) is that it works, better than any other ecosystem, but isn't as good as it should be! I say this is the year for the 3 screens to really come to life! They've got themselves on phone, tablet, tv, and pc... now they gotta put it all together!

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
...and I wonder why WP8 is winning. Windows Phone forum ftw! :p The more options the better. We've had Apple and Android as the major players the last years, be happy that two more players will be on the scene now!

saulgould13

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Its really hilarious and yet unfortunate that we need to decide as consumers an "ecosystem" devide and.... Blablabla... If the system works for your needs regardless of the "it" app or that notification swipe than be it,.. Were all educated customers or so we like to project, saying that we can justify our needs accordingly. Funny observation wp8 users wish to be the underdog champs yet whine that instagram app or gameloft doesn't cater to their mass needs. Kinda odd if u wanna be apart from the heard yet seemingly desire assimilation. I want this platform to succeed, its unique, I'm no fanwhore, and as we all know completion breeds?..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills