Nokia No Better/Worse Than Other OEMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
they are allt he same phones.

MS invested more $$ in Nokia Because Nokia Had patents that would help MS protect it self.

now Nokia took that MS cash and made deals with EA and AT&T and then every one thinks NOKIA is the game saver.... Nokia did this to save their own behinds after losing so much shares and mobile power.

Sure Nokia phones are NICE but I dont think they are the best or worst then any other model.

I`m a Samsung guy my self but if the next WP from Nokia is sexy who knows I might jump ship but not cause of exclusive apps and AT&T reps wearing NOKIA WP T-shirts.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Effort by percentages (that I just made up :D)

Nokia = 100%
HTC = 70%
Samsung = 40%
LG = Can't find a parking spot

When all is said, Nokia still CHOOSE to go with Windows Phone exclusively. Nobody forced them to. Nobody said they couldn't make Android and WPs. They banked their entire financial stability on Microsoft and (despite being a year late) they've already eclipsed other OEMs in both market and mind share. Their ecosystem has blown past other manufacturers, they're bringing new innovation (PureView), and they've added far more value to Windows Phone OS than the other OEMs combined.

That's fine if your OEM of choice is HTC or Samsung, but saying they're equal to Nokia is just plain wrong.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Me: Hello my name is Snowmutt, and I am a Windows fan Boy

Group (in unison): HELLO, SNOWMUTT.

Me: Well, that was a little loud. Look, it was about early 2011 when I realized I had this problem. I was depressed because my old habit, WebOS, looked bleak, so I was looking for a new thrill. I thought, what what about this Android thing? What if I have to settle for an iPhone? But, low and behold, an LG Quantum sat in a box. I just got some Dealer to turn it on, they gave me a sample, and I got hooked.

Group: *giggles*

Me: That was actually a little creepy, all of you staring at me and giggling.

But, anyways, I started sneaking around, getting a little WP fix here, a WP fix there... While no one as looking, I would check anywhere I could for stories about it. Even at work, I would sneak on the computer to get a little taste. But then... it happened...

Group: WHAT HAPPENED??

Me: Why are you all staring at me? With everyone sitting in a circle it is really, really disturbing.

Anyways, some dealer offered me some stuff for a penny - A PENNY- and I got me and the wife (I forced her along on my addition... I feel horrible about that..) some WP goodies. Mine was a Samsung, a type of drug imported and cut from Korea. My only problem was it seem like they just gave me a taste of second hand stuff, nothing made for an addict like me. It was great, don't get me wrong, I looked for reasons to use some, turning it off and on again just to see the "Windows Phone" logo come up...

Group: *hoots and hollers*

Me: Okay, now I feel violated. Don't do that again.

But, my Wife got some bad stuff from this dealer in China. They packaged it up as special stuff for WP, I found out later they lied, and it turns out it was a bad trip. Lots of poor noise in her ear, made her irritated and edgy all the time. She kept having freezes and problems and it was just BAD STUFF, and I had to keep getting her another, and another, and another....

Group: WOOHOO!!

Me: No, you stupid Jackrabbits!! That is bad!!

Group: OHHHHH....

Me (whispering): Anyways, ... there are these new pushers... really taking over this trade, pushing in on this territory... their name is Nokia. I hear they have REALLY REALLY good stuff, unique and new. A designer drug JUST FOR ME... and they actually stand behind addicts, just to keep them strung out... I don't want to kick my habit, I want to be enabled!! SOMEONE ENABLE ME!!! GET ME STRUNG OUT!!! FEED MY HABIT!!

COME ON NOKIA!!! MAKE ME A USER!! Force everyone else that sells this candy we call WP to be pushing the good stuff!! We all win!!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Each OEM brings their own unique contributions to WP:

Nokia- design and apps apps apps apps apps
HTC- audio (SRS,Dolby mobile), camera (Titan II and above), attentive phone.
Samsung- Screen technology

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

Nokia = 100%
HTC = 70%
Samsung = 40%

When all is said, Nokia still CHOOSE to go with Windows Phone exclusively. Nobody forced them to. Nobody said they couldn't make Android and WPs. They banked their entire financial stability on Microsoft and (despite being a year late) they've already eclipsed other OEMs in both market and mind share. Their ecosystem has blown past other manufacturers, they're bringing new innovation (PureView), and they've added far more value to Windows Phone OS than the other OEMs combined.

That's fine if your OEM of choice is HTC or Samsung, but saying they're equal to Nokia is just plain wrong.

well ill give you the fact that they pretty much make exclusively WP but this only helps WP/MS in the market ,doesnt mean the phone is better.

I dont think a camera makes a phone better then the other ... Samy has better screens but doesn't make them better and HTC has better *sound* but doesn't make it better.

they all have their OWN unique strong points that makes them good or bad depending on what YOU need. ( camera, sound , picture , body , feel , weight , speeds , Memory etc...)

Nokia does have more access to the CORE coding of the OS witch would allow them to make allot more for WP but they wont cause it would frag up WP ( android style)

on paper not one is better then the other.

all in all its VERY VERY hard to say one phone is better then the other.

I do STRONGLY believe that it comes down to user preference.

EDIT:
@eric just saw your post pretty much same thing as me haha

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing. Yes, Samsung came on board, they made a few phones and forgot about them. I remember when WP7 first came out it was all HTC. Kudos to HTC for that. Yes, Samsung became king of Android, but how much are they gonna push WP8? I highly doubt they'll go all-guns-blazing like they did with the GS3. They're not putting in that much effort into WP8. It's a second thought.

HTC are being pushed into the same boat as Nokia were though, as their Android offerings are failing them to Samsung. Maybe they'll start devoting 100% to WP8 too? Like they gave 100% to Windows Mobile in the past?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
HTC are being pushed into the same boat as Nokia were though, as their Android offerings are failing them to Samsung. Maybe they'll start devoting 100% to WP8 too? Like they gave 100% to Windows Mobile in the past?

If I see signs of HTC doing that, I would consider them again. As it is, they are a distance third in a three dog race.

And that makes me sad, I really like the feel of the HTC devices. They have been so disappointing though....

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Here's the thing. Yes, Samsung came on board, they made a few phones and forgot about them. I remember when WP7 first came out it was all HTC. Kudos to HTC for that. Yes, Samsung became king of Android, but how much are they gonna push WP8? I highly doubt they'll go all-guns-blazing like they did with the GS3. They're not putting in that much effort into WP8. It's a second thought.

hmmm.

1.Samsung has as many if not more WP then any other OEM..... they are very much so in the game. they where TOP selling WP before Nokia came along. not sure why you think it was ALL HTC but it really wasn't.!!!! (HTC did good as well but in terms of sale they are third.)

2. Samsung is having HUGE problems with Android cause of APPLE right now . so Samsung will probably concentrate more on WP then Android. (had an article on this yesterday)

3. have you seen the new WP8 from Samsung? and they have like 3+ rumour device already.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Ok, time to break down these points and create further discussion. Can I get some Xbox Live Gamerscore for this if I'm good at it? *cracks knuckles*

1.Samsung has as many if not more WP then any other OEM..... they are very much so in the game. they where TOP selling WP before Nokia came along. not sure why you think it was ALL HTC but it really wasn't.!!!! (HTC did good as well but in terms of sale they are third.)

Interesting, but this doesn't seem to paint the picture in the UK. I never once saw a Samsung device at launch, but maybe that's just me. Perhaps it clouded my vision. I'm not sure I've seen any Samsung WP devices in the UK period. I've seen several HTC though. Though mostly Nokia, but that's a completely different kettle of fish.

2. Samsung is having HUGE problems with Android cause of APPLE right now . so Samsung will probably concentrate more on WP then Android. (had an article on this yesterday)

Yes, I've seen this. Not sure it'll change matters though, unless Apple manages to block 90% of the Samsung devices that run Android that have ever been released and force anyone with a Samsung Android device that is affected by this rule having their phone completely bricked.

3. have you seen the new WP8 from Samsung? and they have like 3+ rumour device already.

Yes, I have. I don't think it'll get the advertising like the GS3 though, nowhere near it.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Me: Hello my name is Snowmutt, and I am a Windows fan Boy

Group (in unison): HELLO, SNOWMUTT.

Me: Well, that was a little loud. Look, it was about early 2011 when I realized I had this problem. I was depressed because my old habit, WebOS, looked bleak, so I was looking for a new thrill. I thought, what what about this Android thing? What if I have to settle for an iPhone? But, low and behold, an LG Quantum sat in a box. I just got some Dealer to turn it on, they gave me a sample, and I got hooked.

Group: *giggles*

Me: That was actually a little creepy, all of you staring at me and giggling.

But, anyways, I started sneaking around, getting a little WP fix here, a WP fix there... While no one as looking, I would check anywhere I could for stories about it. Even at work, I would sneak on the computer to get a little taste. But then... it happened...

Group: WHAT HAPPENED??

Me: Why are you all staring at me? With everyone sitting in a circle it is really, really disturbing.

Anyways, some dealer offered me some stuff for a penny - A PENNY- and I got me and the wife (I forced her along on my addition... I feel horrible about that..) some WP goodies. Mine was a Samsung, a type of drug imported and cut from Korea. My only problem was it seem like they just gave me a taste of second hand stuff, nothing made for an addict like me. It was great, don't get me wrong, I looked for reasons to use some, turning it off and on again just to see the "Windows Phone" logo come up...

Group: *hoots and hollers*

Me: Okay, now I feel violated. Don't do that again.

But, my Wife got some bad stuff from this dealer in China. They packaged it up as special stuff for WP, I found out later they lied, and it turns out it was a bad trip. Lots of poor noise in her ear, made her irritated and edgy all the time. She kept having freezes and problems and it was just BAD STUFF, and I had to keep getting her another, and another, and another....

Group: WOOHOO!!

Me: No, you stupid Jackrabbits!! That is bad!!

Group: OHHHHH....

Me (whispering): Anyways, ... there are these new pushers... really taking over this trade, pushing in on this territory... their name is Nokia. I hear they have REALLY REALLY good stuff, unique and new. A designer drug JUST FOR ME... and they actually stand behind addicts, just to keep them strung out... I don't want to kick my habit, I want to be enabled!! SOMEONE ENABLE ME!!! GET ME STRUNG OUT!!! FEED MY HABIT!!

COME ON NOKIA!!! MAKE ME A USER!! Force everyone else that sells this candy we call WP to be pushing the good stuff!! We all win!!

Hahahahahha...I loved this post Snowmutt.
:kinda made my day!

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
well ill give you the fact that they pretty much make exclusively WP but this only helps WP/MS in the market ,doesnt mean the phone is better.

I dont think a camera makes a phone better then the other ... Samy has better screens but doesn't make them better and HTC has better *sound* but doesn't make it better.

they all have their OWN unique strong points that makes them good or bad depending on what YOU need. ( camera, sound , picture , body , feel , weight , speeds , Memory etc...)

Nokia does have more access to the CORE coding of the OS witch would allow them to make allot more for WP but they wont cause it would frag up WP ( android style)

EDIT:

I'm not talking about which phone is better. In terms of hardware there's little doubt the Titan II is the best. I'm talking about Nokia's importance to Windows Phone. Microsoft losing Nokia would be a much bigger blow than losing HTC or Samsung.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Nokia = 100%
HTC = 70%
Samsung = 40%

They're equal (or close) when looking at mobile devices in general.

In WP, Nokia is has given more, and is getting more in return. They are the premier WP OEM right now.

If someone else wants that spot, they need to step up their game. There's no guarantee that Nokia will hold that position. But I can almost guarantee that if other OEMs don't put a STRONG effort in design, customer service, and marketing WP, then Nokia will likely keep the crown.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
they are allt he same phones.

MS invested more $$ in Nokia Because Nokia Had patents that would help MS protect it self.

now Nokia took that MS cash and made deals with EA and AT&T and then every one thinks NOKIA is the game saver.... Nokia did this to save their own behinds after losing so much shares and mobile power.

Sure Nokia phones are NICE but I dont think they are the best or worst then any other model.

I`m a Samsung guy my self but if the next WP from Nokia is sexy who knows I might jump ship but not cause of exclusive apps and AT&T reps wearing NOKIA WP T-shirts.

one of these days i will pull that ninja grip from samsung you have...
nokia>samung>htc

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Each OEM brings their own unique contributions to WP:

Nokia- design and apps apps apps apps apps
HTC- audio (SRS,Dolby mobile), camera (Titan II and above), attentive phone.
Samsung- Screen technology

For WP7

Nokia
  • Design
  • Exclusive 3rd party apps
  • real useful Nokia apps
  • Screen tech (best in sunlight)
  • quality parts
  • durability
  • exceptional customer service
HTC
  • camera
  • audio tech
  • attentive phone
  • biggest screen size
Samsung
  • screen tech
  • quality parts
  • light weight
Samsung and HTC are capable of bringing a lot more to the table than they have. They just have chosen not to do it yet with WP.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

EDIT:

Of course it comes down to user preference.

"Better" is subjective.

But the OP apparently has a problem with A LOT of people have the personal preference that Nokia is better.

Like it's somehow our responsibility to think more highly of other OEMs.

It's up to OEMs to win us over.

Samsung can still do that for me. HTC would have to try 10x as hard because I've had really bad experiences with the last 2 HTC WP devices in my household.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in Nokia because of their exclusive apps, their great case design, their history of good customer support (the quick fix and money back to customers over the Lumia 900 data issue), and the possibility of a Pureview flagship.

I'm interested in Samsung because of their involvement with many carriers, including US Cellular (everyone and their cousin carries the Galaxy S3, whereas the Lumia 900 was an AT&T exclusive), because the camera on the Galaxy S3 has better real-world results than the Lumia 900's camera, and because of the unbeatable screen-size-to-weight ratio that the Ativ S promises.

HTC is a step behind for me because of its godawful exclusive apps, its unimpressive screen quality compared to Samsung and Nokia flagships (didn't like the Titan in person), and its sluggish response to consumer complaints (Titan voice quality issue). I'd consider them, but I'm not super-excited.

I would love to see Sony jump ship from Android (where they're simply not competing successfully) and build a WP8 Xperia. Love their case design and I've been happy with the Bravia and Vaio I own.

I am interested in Nokia but they're not the only one I'm interested in.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
These are the people that will say they hate the cheap plastic sammy phones, but then will go buy a plastic Nokia. Or they'll look at the new brushed aluminum on the new Ativ S, while not making any comments to the plastic Nokia.
1) "Plastic" isn't a single thing. It's not anything really, just a name to stick in front of more complex ones. Nokia and Samsung use different "plastics" created through different processes. Not all plastics are created equal.
2) The Ativ S's backplate is bendy, so it's brushed plastic. Hilarious.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
i do think sammy made sexy hardware for the ativ S. But the problem is that they don't advertise it for some reason. Hope they do the s3 size advertising. Also samzer. What do you think of the ativ S? Also do you think they are serious about wp now? Just a question. My friend wants it. ;-)

They just announced it yesterday. Give them a minute to put a few ads together...

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

Samsung's Ativ S is proof that they ARE putting effort into WP8. Since it's basically the same hardware as the GS3 with a different (and more attractive) case, I'm not sure why you're suggesting they're putting in less effort than they did with the GS3.

Samsung's WP7 efforts were half-hearted, but given how the Apple v. Samsung case went (and Google leaving them floating in the breeze to defend Android cases on their own), I wouldn't be surprised if they shift more efforts to WP8 like they never did with WP7. The fact that they've now got a single name brand (Ativ) that they're using for smartphones, Windows RT tablets, and Windows 8 convertible tablets is promising.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's Ativ S is proof that they ARE putting effort into WP8. Since it's basically the same hardware as the GS3 with a different (and more attractive) case, I'm not sure why you're suggesting they're putting in less effort than they did with the GS3.

Samsung's WP7 efforts were half-hearted, but given how the Apple v. Samsung case went (and Google leaving them floating in the breeze to defend Android cases on their own), I wouldn't be surprised if they shift more efforts to WP8 like they never did with WP7. The fact that they've now got a single name brand (Ativ) that they're using for smartphones, Windows RT tablets, and Windows 8 convertible tablets is promising.

Ok, I'm glad we agree that Samsung's WP7 attempts were half-assed. And if it's true that WP8 is getting the ATIV brand for smartphones, RT-Tabs, and Convertible-Tabs is a good sign. They need to blitz the advertisements like they did with the GS3. If they do that, then they've definitely redeemed themselves in my opinion. I'll still leave it myself though due to bad experiences with Samsung in the past, but if they really start putting in the effort then kudos to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss