End of simplicity??

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Medium Tiles

Initially when I first saw the Windows Phone 7.8 screens my first thought screamed, overwhelming and cluttered.

But the I stepped back and realized the images merely show how much you can pack into that one screen. This does not mean you have to indulge in tiles everywhere. All this shows is how much you are in control of your tiles and the clutter you incur. So if anything Microsoft has just given the control over to the user. If it's too much clutter use only medium or larger tiles to keep it simplistic and straight-forward.

For me for example I would still use almost all medium tiles. Except for my emails, which I still pin to the start screen. I have about six email accounts for various reasons and I would love to put all those tiles on my start screen in a small section.

Nothing has really changed if you don't want it to. That's the point. You can pretend your tiles are locked like in Windows 7.5 or you can utilize the flexible tile options of 7.8.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Initially when I first saw the Windows Phone 7.8 screens my first thought screamed, overwhelming and cluttered.

But the I stepped back and realized the images merely show how much you can pack into that one screen. This does not mean you have to indulge in tiles everywhere. All this shows is how much you are in control of your tiles and the clutter you incur. So if anything Microsoft has just given the control over to the user. If it's too much clutter use only medium or larger tiles to keep it simplistic and straight-forward.

For me for example I would still use almost all medium tiles. Except for my emails, which I still pin to the start screen. I have about six email accounts for various reasons and I would love to put all those tiles on my start screen in a small section.

Nothing has really changed if you don't want it to. That's the point. You can pretend your tiles are locked like in Windows 7.5 or you can utilize the flexible tile options of 7.8.

Bingo. That's why MS has created a masterpiece...u can have it ur way..though like I said earlier...I just wanted to know if was it just me who thought so...
:)

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Bingo. That's why MS has created a masterpiece...u can have it ur way..though like I said earlier...I just wanted to know if was it just me who thought so...
:)

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.
I think it has potential but there should be more options to personalize your start menu

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
It looks how you want it to look as far as tiles go. I'm just happy that we have options. Being on a android forum for a while we used to have those "show your homescreen" threads. Now we can have those because there will be plenty of combinations to have. Plus our tiles and their icons have different functionality. We can get info out of our tiles, for icons on android you need widgets for the most part if my memory serves me right.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Personally this is just what I've been waiting for. I love the new start screen. The tiles may be different sizes but each still has clean lines.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
But the I stepped back and realized the images merely show how much you can pack into that one screen. This does not mean you have to indulge in tiles everywhere. All this shows is how much you are in control of your tiles and the clutter you incur.

YES! YES! YES! This is exactly how I feel. I've already been thinking about how I want my screen to look too.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
YES! YES! YES! This is exactly how I feel. I've already been thinking about how I want my screen to look too.
there should be a mockup thread on how each of us you do our screens. I can't wait. I just wish 7.8/8 would come sooner.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think it has potential but there should be more options to personalize your start menu

That, I think, would be inviting trouble. That's where Android is and somewhere that is the reason I'm leaving It.

Customization and personalization is so much that somewhere u get lost in the system. Trying half your time to get "that perfect system".

The fact that MS allows u a limited personalization is good for a change.

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
That, I think, would be inviting trouble. That's where Android is and somewhere that is the reason I'm leaving It.

Customization and personalization is so much that somewhere u get lost in the system. Trying half your time to get "that perfect system".

The fact that MS allows u a limited personalization is good for a change.

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.
I was thinking about custom colours, to choose the colour tile by tile and to be able to pin EVERYTHING not just a few functionalities...

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to pronounce myself on this, there is a WP sheep movement that is taking place here and you can't criticize anything about windows phone and it us WP users who used to call iPhone users iSheep...

I didn't call any group of users any type of name or collective name. That's stupid. And honestly, anybody judging another person based on their device needs to have several seats. At the core, anyone that becomes an active member of a forum are tech enthusiasts. Who cares what platform has over the other. The reason why we are here is because we enjoy windows phone and if you don't, maybe you should ask why you registered

On topic, no I don't think it loses simplicity

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The WP8 start screen has the potential to be cluttered, but as was posted earlier, it can be just as simple as what we have now. I like having more options to make the phone mine. I can't wait to see the start screen thread we will probably end up having.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the WP8 screen turns to clutter. The magic that keeps Metro clean looking is the "white space" in between the tiles. Even if it is not one uniform channel that runs vertically down the entire screen (until it hits pictures or calendar hubs), I think there is enough unused space on the screen that keeps the WP8 interface looking clean.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
What I love about Windows Phone 8...

Click to view quoted image

;)
Why does this still come up? Those tiles are bigger with no additional features, there's no white space because there's no gutter, and fewer tiles fit on the screen. Come on, let's hear a real argument.

Those who like the new start screen - you simply don't care about having white space. That's not a bad thing, but stop trying to pitch your opinion as fact - it's objective that white space is missing on the home screen, and both Android and iOS are now doing a better job of balancing out home screens.

No one is against small tiles or more customization. With the giant screens of the future, I highly doubt the option for the gutter will severely impact on the usability of small tiles.

There was no reason to drop the gutter other than succumbing to the tech press who spend their days flashing custom ROMs onto their non-stock Android devices. Truly does seem like Microsoft lost sight of the plan, and I'm worried that they will go further. Cluttered Metro is quite possibly the worst UI currently.

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Again subjective.

For everyone that loves the gutter, in sure theres another that sees it as wasted space.

Can't say in offended by its removal.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Again subjective.

For everyone that loves the gutter, in sure theres another that sees it as wasted space.

Can't say in offended by its removal.
I don't think there's anything subjective about "absence of white space".

It's great that some love the start screen, but going in every thread where people might be discontent and saying you like it... it can come across as snobbery. "I got what I wanted, haha, why you so mad?" Really, no one should be celebrating when a feature or aspect is removed. What's to say that the next time, it won't be something that you personally value?

You might prefer function over form (I'd argue it's weird you're with Windows Phone if that is the case), but it doesn't hurt you in the slightest if there's an option. I've yet to see a legitimate reason why the complete removal of the gutter is in any way beneficial.

uHdQw.png

EDIT: that said, I'll probably be putting down money on a new Lumia anyway. The 16:9 aspect ratio eases up the horizontal-vs-vertical awkwardness of the full-width home screen and the physical design seems too good to pass up on. Really curious what they are doing with the rest of the home screen though, being balanced on left and right would indicate swiping working in both directions.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss