End of simplicity??

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok...My apologies in advance to everyone here at WPC.

Please Please Please don't get me wrong...I LOVE WP8!!

But...does it strike anyone else that the simple and clean look is now slowly on its way out.

And sorry to say, but is it slowly going the Android way. Does anyone else feel that the WP8 screen looks cluttered.

Clutter2.jpg

Again..it is just a question and I am NOT SAYING it looks so...

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to pronounce myself on this, there is a WP sheep movement that is taking place here and you can't criticize anything about windows phone and it us WP users who used to call iPhone users iSheep...

speedfreak228

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
No i dont think it's cluttered at all. I love the new start screen. If you dont like the little tiles you can always just use medium tiles everywhere.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
No i dont think it's cluttered at all. I love the new start screen. If you dont like the little tiles you can always just use medium tiles everywhere.

Absolutely. I know of that. If I don't like the smaller ones, I can change it. But doesn't the knew one look slightly cluttered...? Just a question..

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to pronounce myself on this, there is a WP sheep movement that is taking place here and you can't criticize anything about windows phone and it us WP users who used to call iPhone users iSheep...

I know where ur coming from man...it's not how u think it is...this place is really better than some others believe me. And yes, u CAN criticise, but as far as ur argument is valid ur good.

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
With someone who has 50 tiles (which includes a few Homebrew Folders) on their Start Screen, sizable tiles will be a welcome addition. Some layouts may appear cluttered, but to the user or will probably all male sense I think it was a good way for Microsoft to offer customization, without compromising the basic look and feel of WP.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
People have been asking for variable tiles since the moment Microsoft brought out wp7.

As long as its optional, I don't see how extra options can be bad for anyone.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it still looks pretty simple and straight forward. Tiles are of consistent shape and style.

Is there potential of a cluttered look? Sure. But not through the design. A bunch of custom tiles or webpage pins could end up looking cluttered. Then again, the uniformity of the tile shape still keeps a sense of order. The border widths are consistent throughout.

It's far from the look of clutter that will definitely arise from a series of inconsistent shapes, colors, shadows, reflections, etc..

When it comes to clutter, you have to make a real effort if you want to make iOS or Android look clean and uncluttered. And even with a monumental effort, you're likely to fail.

But many users don't put a clean design as priority. And in the end, as long as it doesn't hinder navigation, many users would be okay with clutter.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I understand exactly where you are coming from. :)

I am thinking though that the "clutter" would be up to the user. All my Androids had very simple home screens and never more than three.

Right now I have 3 rows visible and two that I need to scroll up for, so if I can get these tiles so that no scrolling will be needed I will be happy and not complain about the lack of the gutter. :D

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Make that two...I know we can keep it to the size we want. But do u think it looks slightly more cluttered as compared to the first Gen phones??

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

Erhm, I think it could look cluttered; if you haven't organised it yourself. I look forward to grouping tools in one section, and in another - media apps, and so on.

:)

speedfreak228

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. I know of that. If I don't like the smaller ones, I can change it. But doesn't the knew one look slightly cluttered...? Just a question..

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

No I don't think it looked cluttered. The so called social butterfly phone they showed at the summit did.... so I guess all small tiles that cover the entire screen might be cluttered, but windows is just so original and beautiful thats it's hard to get it to look bad. And all the tiles match in a way. Unlike my android that has different looking icons

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I would have like to be able to pin EVERYTHING to the start screen, not only a few like Wi-Fi, airplane mode... etc... and also be able to personalize every tile's colour or background, that would have been awesome...

Neo Nuke

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
i see your point...

but like most people are saying it is up to you on how much clutter you want. if you can group small tiles to kind of use as a folder, it is a great idea. if you had a folder live tiles wouldn't be active anyways, with this arrangement, I'm sure you at least get a notification count. The one sore thing I will miss is the asymmetrical modern look of the gutter. I loved to see that little arrow in a circle flip smoothly when you went from start screen to app list. As an interior design major that leans toward contemporary modern designs, I love those little ZEN WP moments. It truly is beautiful.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
but like most people are saying it is up to you on how much clutter you want. if you can group small tiles to kind of use as a folder, it is a great idea. if you had a folder live tiles wouldn't be active anyways, with this arrangement, I'm sure you at least get a notification count. The one sore thing I will miss is the asymmetrical modern look of the gutter. I loved to see that little arrow in a circle flip smoothly when you went from start screen to app list. As an interior design major that leans toward contemporary modern designs, I love those little ZEN WP moments. It truly is beautiful.

Yes..I miss that too..but apparently lot of people complained about it...and that's why MS decided to get rid of it..

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yes..I miss that too..but apparently lot of people complained about it...and that's why MS decided to get rid of it..

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.
I think a lot of people saw it as wasted space. Like others have said, the asymmetrical look was very appealing and I will miss it for sure.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of people saw it as wasted space. Like others have said, the asymmetrical look was very appealing and I will miss it for sure.

I love it too, they should have add it to the app list, (the arrow would do a 180? to point back to the start menu) Anyway it's gone so let's forget about it haha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb