Does WP8 have a drop down notification center like iOS & Android?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Make the me tile accessible system wide. But a overhaul of notifications system is needed. It can be hours before the me tile or app even displays any notification.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
WP does notify you, just not in the way you may be used to from android. That is all I was saying. WP may not get a "notification center" but still has the same functionality.

That may be what you intended to say, but it's not how you're expressing it.

Nobody here has said or even suggested that Live Tiles are bad or ineffective. They never said toasts weren't good either. I'm a HUGE fan of using Live Tiles. That doesn't change the fact that I WANT something more central for all the notifications I might miss.

I'm a Windows Phone user, and I love the platform. So again I'll ask... who the heck are you or anyone else to suggest I or any other WP customer use a different platform just because I want Microsoft to improve or add something that will benefit us? Is it a must have? No. Desirable? Absolutely.

I tell you what... why don't you name a feature YOU want, and I'll tell you why it's not necessary, and how you should go get a different phone or OS if it's important to you.

Sorry to go on the offensive about this, and I get what you're trying to say, but I hope you get MY point now too. There is NOTHING wrong with asking a company to improve something... even if it's already a good thing.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok, keep asking for something that may never come. Not sure why suggesting another option is so unthinkable but I will no longer offer a differing opinion to yours in this thread.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
So you feel that this notification system will make windows phone "better"?
Yes. The leading two platforms both sport notifications centres, Microsoft currently has an inferior notification system in terms of general feature set. Numerous tech writers are now noting the problems with the notification system, even in Windows 8. It doesn't make sense that you get a text alert (toast) for a notification, and if you miss it there's no central place you can go to find it (or, if you don't have the app pinned, anywhere to even notice it).

If you think otherwise, I'd be extremely interested to hear your reasoning. "Because Microsoft" or "because different" doesn't quite cut it, unfortunately - being different for the sake of being different is pointless.

Last edited:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I stand by my assertion, but will not keep pushing it when its obvious I disagree with the other person and neither of us is willing to budge.

Tech writers are paid to stir stuff up and make something an issue. How do you think the enormous rumor mill keeps turning on apple products?

If you need to be notified immediately for one of your apps, it should have a live tile on the start screen. If its not there, I don't see how it can be considered a priority. Just wait till that app sends you an email. I don't think you should blame MS for you not having an app pinned, to correctly get notifications.

I do hope that live tiles update a bit quicker. I have to unlock and do a one count before scrolling or I may miss my live tile updating with a number.

Being different is just for the sake of being different, and legally required. If not, MS would have made the OS just like the best selling OS. That would have been a slamdunk for sales. Make all the best selling OS apps somehow work on their kernel and it would have been an instant success. But that is illegal so they HAVE to be different, or end up where Samsung is.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes. The leading two platforms both sport notifications centres, Microsoft currently has an inferior notification system in terms of general feature set. Numerous tech writers are now noting the problems with the notification system, even in Windows 8. It doesn't make sense that you get a text alert (toast) for a notification, and if you miss it there's no central place you can go to find it (or, if you don't have the app pinned, anywhere to even notice it).

If you think otherwise, I'd be extremely interested to hear your reasoning. "Because Microsoft" or "because different" doesn't quite cut it, unfortunately - being different for the sake of being different is pointless.

The general public uses twitter and Facebook the most. The me tile handles that. And you got lock screen notifications for SMS and calls and emails. It covers the basics. I think because they are doing something different doesn't mean it's wrong or the reason why it isn't selling.

But again everyone on wpcentral voted for a notification center

But also the internet doesn't represent the majority of the buyers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes