Does WP8 have a drop down notification center like iOS & Android?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Do Windows Phones have this? Also when you are inside an app, and you get an email or SMS, do you get a notification on top that disappears after a few seconds?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Text messages yes you get the message on top. Emails, no. There is no drop down in 7.5, but maybe in 7.8 or 8. No one knows for sure as it hasn't came out yet.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't get why Microsoft is not able to say "There will be a notification centre" or the opposite.. I mean, at least Apple teases us with some info other than "look you can make tiny tiles".

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has specific events to release information, if it keeps releasing information every time someone asks, they will never have anything new for the big shows.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Microsoft has specific events to release information, if it keeps releasing information every time someone asks, they will never have anything new for the big shows.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Exactly and because to keep competitors from watching them and then copying features like what happend with mango. Last year with mango everything that was to be included in mango was announced and demonstrated 4 months in advance and even a beta leaked. so by the time mango actually came out people already had it and the excitement for it died down. learning from this MS doesnt want the same thing to happen again.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I feel that this (in limited capacity, at least) and app resuming from tiles / app list will be imperative for WP8 to be well-received by the press and power users (the people who make the most noise on the Internet).

You can make all the arguments you want, but at the end of the day Live Tiles provide but a subset of notification centre functionality and the app relaunching model has absolutely no justification. It may be enough for you, but have any of the Live Tile defenders ever wondered why Apple, the company renowned for simplicity (at times, to the point of annoyance) includes a notification centre in their products, instead of something akin to Live Tiles?

Live Tiles serve an important purpose against icons and widgets, but the market has moved beyond those concepts. Now, Microsoft has to continue to tout (and "improve") Live Tiles because they have no full-blown notification solution, and they really can't create one without significant functional overlap with the tiles.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, I know why Apple does it... because they're stubborn and generally push what THEY want you to use and HOW they want you to use it until they get an uprising of dissent requesting something. Then and only then do they bow and grant the masses their wish. And if you notice, their notification center came after everyone clamored about how good Android's was. I've been watching Apple get away with that for 28 years.

Live Tiles are great, and I rely on them, but I would like something more advanced like a notification hub. On the flip side, I don't want it to be like Android where I get crap notices from every flipping thing and I spend more time clearing the list than doing something productive.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Exactly and because to keep competitors from watching them and then copying features like what happend with mango. Last year with mango everything that was to be included in mango was announced and demonstrated 4 months in advance and even a beta leaked. so by the time mango actually came out people already had it and the excitement for it died down. learning from this MS doesnt want the same thing to happen again.
In fact this is a poor argument since WP is the only one to be lacking a notification centre... which means no one would copy...

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If you cannot live without a notification center you need to get a phone that has one. I don't really have a problem with how live tiles work and the new larger ones will be able to give your email and text messages just like a notification center. What is the difference besides implementation?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Oops. I would like to know what the beep was when in an app though. "Was it my junk mail, pop mail, or work email??? Don't know have to close this app to go find out."

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
If you cannot live without a notification center you need to get a phone that has one. I don't really have a problem with how live tiles work and the new larger ones will be able to give your email and text messages just like a notification center. What is the difference besides implementation?
Having everything at the same place and not having to wait for the tile to flip?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

This is a ridiculous claim, and I want you to know that I'm glaring at you with extreme annoyance as I write this. Wanting something to be improved or implemented because it's beneficial is perfectly reasonable. Telling someone to go to a whole other platform because of a feature request is irrational and immature.

I want a notification center too, but I LOVE my live tiles and WP, and happen to be a big advocate of the platform. Should I switch back to Android too, because I think a notification center could prove useful?

I mean, you essentially suggested that Microsoft might as well pack up and go home, because they're never going to attract the billion or more users of iPhone and Android because they don't have a notification center. No, no, don't bother adding it now... it's too late.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea but I suspect the answer is "No" there hasn't been any evidence in any in Windows 8 on a whole. The idea of the Live Tiles is to provide similar information but on the tiles themselves and then only of the apps you want to see without having to open a drawer and what not. Apple had to provide one because once you dismissed a notice all you had left was the little red circle dot over the icon which told you nothing of the message you may have received. At least Live Tiles can give you information about the alert.

But I don't think we will see one until the next version update if it ever comes.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Remember on Meego Nokia let you swipe to notifications?

They could have a notification center on the left. The tiles in the middle. And your apps on the right. Seems like it could work.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Remember on Meego Nokia let you swipe to notifications?

They could have a notification center on the left. The tiles in the middle. And your apps on the right. Seems like it could work.
If I remember right, wasn't the MeeGo notification panel specifically for social updates and communication? That implementation would probably work best with Windows Phone, where individual apps can still use their tiles but services like Facebook and Skype can push updates to the panel.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Swipe to the left is for that new Kid's Center feature I think.

Isn't the new lock screen supposed to be a "notification center?" If I turn my phone on I'm hoping I see how many missed calls, or new emails, or IM's or ESPN score updates, or whatever.... Otherwise maybe keep a running list of notifications in the Me tile...

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
This is a ridiculous claim, and I want you to know that I'm glaring at you with extreme annoyance as I write this. Wanting something to be improved or implemented because it's beneficial is perfectly reasonable. Telling someone to go to a whole other platform because of a feature request is irrational and immature.

I want a notification center too, but I LOVE my live tiles and WP, and happen to be a big advocate of the platform. Should I switch back to Android too, because I think a notification center could prove useful?

I mean, you essentially suggested that Microsoft might as well pack up and go home, because they're never going to attract the billion or more users of iPhone and Android because they don't have a notification center. No, no, don't bother adding it now... it's too late.

WP does notify you, just not in the way you may be used to from android. That is all I was saying. WP may not get a "notification center" but still has the same functionality. That is what I meant. So if you do have to have them in a "notification center" you may have to switch platforms. Not sure why that is immature to suggest. If you were asking about a automotive choice and wanted a small car and really like the civic. But then said you want AWD I would definitely suggest a different platform. Honda does not make an AWD car. Many others do. I would suggest you go look at Subaru or Audi. That is not really immature I don't think. I may have been harsh I guess, but the suggestion is sound. If you HAVE to have something and the current platform does not have it as you want, talk to a DEV or switch platforms.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
WP does notify you, just not in the way you may be used to from android. That is all I was saying. WP may not get a "notification center" but still has the same functionality. That is what I meant. So if you do have to have them in a "notification center" you may have to switch platforms. Not sure why that is immature to suggest. If you were asking about a automotive choice and wanted a small car and really like the civic. But then said you want AWD I would definitely suggest a different platform. Honda does not make an AWD car. Many others do. I would suggest you go look at Subaru or Audi. That is not really immature I don't think. I may have been harsh I guess, but the suggestion is sound. If you HAVE to have something and the current platform does not have it as you want, talk to a DEV or switch platforms.

Honda does make awd sedans, same with Toyota and Nissan. Just not for the US market, where the take rate of awd sedans is rather low. Heck, even subcompacts like the fit, and most honda kei (imagine: nano-subcompact) cars have 4wd options, too. If you are thinking of all Hondas, then the cr-v, ridgeline, crosstour, and pilot would like a word. If you are thinking of around the world? Well, the Acura brand does not exist much outside of North America. So the Honda legend would be the first car with sh-awd, the rdx and mdx would be Hondas, along with the vigor (few markets) and zdx (very few markets).

As for live tiles being better than a notification center? Not in its current form. As it stands, I get much more information, much quicker, on both my iPhone and moto atrix than my samsung focus can. On my iPhone, I can even choose which apps will notify me, and in whichever way I want them to be able to. Most live tiles tell me NO more information than the numerical app badges iOS has had since launch.

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I've said elsewhere that the only real thing I personally would find a notification center useful for is all of the toast notifications I miss because they don't stay on the screen after a few seconds which annoys me a bit. But other than that the tiles do it for me.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the new lock screen supposed to be a "notification center?" If I turn my phone on I'm hoping I see how many missed calls, or new emails, or IM's or ESPN score updates, or whatever.... Otherwise maybe keep a running list of notifications in the Me tile...
Problem being that the lock screen is capped at 5+1 notifications and can't do anything more than a counter on five of those. Tiles are equally handicapped in that they don't display notification centre-level detail unless they are two-wide, which in turn takes up a third of your screen.

And the Me Tile isn't accessible system-wide, nor is it particularly geared towards notifications specifically.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel