No Carriers, No Pricing, No Availability

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, I'm a huge WP fan and own a Lumia 900. But this is just not how you announce new products. The products are fine, even great. But with all the hype, this event simply fell flat on its face. Microsoft and Nokia had to show their A game today to combat the iPhone hype machine and they failed. I'm quite disappointed.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Announcing pricing before the iPhone is not a good idea.

While its likely the iphone5 will be stupid expensive, its not guaranteed. If Nokia had to drop their prices before release that would be serious egg on face.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty much ready to throw money at Nokia -- today. In two months, well, maybe not. Didn't Palm's experience with the delayed Prē launch teach anyone anything?

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This was an epic failure for the amount of hype with MS joining in wow...one thing about Apple when they announce a product it's ready to buy within a week what was that date again for WP8??? Oh yea coming soon!

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
they needed to at least give a time frame. Late holiday, q4 or something. whenn they announced the 900 i think it was like 5 months until it was released and didnt know until a few weeks before.

Bad move

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Nokia showed vaporware today.

Motorola, Samsung, and Apple have shown (or will shortly show) phones with pricing, availability and carriers. Nokia showed cool technology from its labs that will be arriving "in the coming months."

Just like Palm in 2009 at CES, everyone is oohing and ahhing at Nokia's vaporware, and when they cannot buy it now, they'll get someone else's stuff. When the new Lumias finally ship, nobody will care anymore, since other devices announced around the same time sold months earlier.

They KNEW this, they KNEW they had to do better, and they blew it.

Sales of existing Lumia devices will plummet, while the new ones will be coming Goddess-knows-when at who-knows-what prices. It might not even arrive on a given consumer's carrier. But he knows which devices will, and how much they'll cost.

Samsung, ironically, has a chance to capitalize on Nokia's blunder by announcing pricing, ship dates and carriers now. One benefit of using the Galaxy S III chassis is that it's much easier to get new product out faster, since it's essentially already being built.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
they needed to at least give a time frame. Late holiday, q4 or something. whenn they announced the 900 i think it was like 5 months until it was released and didnt know until a few weeks before.

Bad move

And look how "well" the 900 sold! Same old Palm-style cycle... announce the device with no significant details about availability, wait for months, and then release it long after everyone stopped caring and bought another product that was actually available. Make excuses for craptacular sales and then promise "the next revision will be the big success."

Rinse and repeat into insolvency.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Are you guys forgetting that Windows 8 will be launched officially October 26 and Windows Phone 8 is set to be launched officially a few days after that?

How can they launch these phones right now considering those facts?

Seriously everyone needs to stop complaining and all this "NOW NOW NOW" BS.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Are you guys forgetting that Windows 8 will be launched officially October 26 and Windows Phone 8 is set to be launched officially a few days after that?

If that is the case, Nokia should have stated:

"Lumia 920 and 820. Available late October on AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile for $XXX and $YYY respectively."

FANTASTIC! DONE! TAKE MY MONEY!

But they didn't, and we're left oddly deflated with no real knowledge of carrier, price, or availability

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
They've stated that we'll see it in select markets in the 4th quarter of 2012, and that they'll leave the date announcements up to the carriers.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Nokia showed vaporware today.

Motorola, Samsung, and Apple have shown (or will shortly show) phones with pricing, availability and carriers. Nokia showed cool technology from its labs that will be arriving "in the coming months."
To be fair, Samsung's ATIV S is vaporware because pricing/carriers/date have NOT been announced. Also, two of the three new Motorola phones (the high end ones) don't have firm release dates, only "available before the holidays." At least we know Verizon is the carrier. No price on them, though. Only the RAZR M or whatever that was.

The Windows 8 release date is officially announced, but Windows Phone 8 doesn't have an official release date although a few days after W8 is the expectation, like you said.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

I've seen this movie before, and the ending sucks. RIM, Palm and HP have all demonstrated that you can't maintain the excitement after a product announcement for months. Nokia has done it, too. The complaints aren't based on "NOW NOW NOW." They're based on "OH NO NOT AGAIN!" These phones are fantastic, better than I was expecting. And it's disheartening to watch Microsoft and Nokia blindly making the same mistakes that have doomed BB and webOS to irrelevance.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
So, SMALL chance the 9/7 Helsinki store launch could be "SURPRISE!! WP8 phones are ready to order!"

That could really be the only way to explain today. If they do that, that's a big middle finger to Apple and Samsung and that would be pretty awesome.

If not, I just don't understand what the strategy is and who keeps approving it.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't Nokia/MS board members have the power of WTF to keep things like today from happening? The two phones are great and would sell well if set up to do so.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Don't Nokia/MS board members have the power of WTF to keep things like today from happening? The two phones are great and would sell well if set up to do so.
Not every single strategy aspect is run through the board of executives. They rely on CEOs to make decisions. If CEOs are not performing, they vote to get the CEOs replaced.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Well...

I agree that they missed the mark with their announcement. I'm aware they're trying to subvert the Iphone, but they should strike while they have the hype. I'm aware that WP8 won't be out until the end of October, but honestly, if they can show a fully functional Lumia 920/820 in their demo then they can pump one out to us.

People hate waiting, but most of all I think they failed in the aspect of pricing and carriers. Nokia will, also, likely fail to provide GSM unlocked devices directly from them, but nevermind that. From this event what I wanted the most was to know how much I had to set aside or save for the Lumia device I wanted. However, they failed to show me anything in that regard. Another question I had was, "will T-Mobile have either device, or both?" and they failed in that regard as well.

The phones look stunning, but we need details that aren't the specs. More practical details: carriers, pricing, and availability. Good job OP you really hit the nail on the head. Oh, p.s. don't try to do that with your Lumia 820, it doesn't have Gorilla Glass :p

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely disappointed to see that they didn't announce any release dates or carriers as well. When you have Apple announcing the new iPhone in exactly one week, it's definitely in your best interest to put something out there. If I know precisely how long I have to wait to get my hands on one of these devices, I'm much less likely to go ahead and pick up something else. To be honest, I'm really tempted to get the Motorola Droid RAZR M as I've always been a fan of Motorola's phones and it's a great sized device as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss