09-06-2012 01:26 PM
28 12
tools
    I'm sorry, I'm a huge WP fan and own a Lumia 900. But this is just not how you announce new products. The products are fine, even great. But with all the hype, this event simply fell flat on its face. Microsoft and Nokia had to show their A game today to combat the iPhone hype machine and they failed. I'm quite disappointed.
    09-05-2012 01:29 PM
    Announcing pricing before the iPhone is not a good idea.

While its likely the iphone5 will be stupid expensive, its not guaranteed. If Nokia had to drop their prices before release that would be serious egg on face.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
    09-05-2012 01:33 PM
    I'm pretty much ready to throw money at Nokia -- today. In two months, well, maybe not. Didn't Palm's experience with the delayed Prē launch teach anyone anything?
    jasqid and aubreyq like this.
    09-05-2012 01:43 PM
    This was an epic failure for the amount of hype with MS joining in wow...one thing about Apple when they announce a product it's ready to buy within a week what was that date again for WP8??? Oh yea coming soon!
    aubreyq likes this.
    09-05-2012 03:16 PM
    they needed to at least give a time frame. Late holiday, q4 or something. whenn they announced the 900 i think it was like 5 months until it was released and didnt know until a few weeks before.

Bad move
    aubreyq and brmiller1976 like this.
    09-05-2012 03:45 PM
    Yep. Nokia showed vaporware today.

Motorola, Samsung, and Apple have shown (or will shortly show) phones with pricing, availability and carriers. Nokia showed cool technology from its labs that will be arriving "in the coming months."

Just like Palm in 2009 at CES, everyone is oohing and ahhing at Nokia's vaporware, and when they cannot buy it now, they'll get someone else's stuff. When the new Lumias finally ship, nobody will care anymore, since other devices announced around the same time sold months earlier.

They KNEW this, they KNEW they had to do better, and they blew it.

Sales of existing Lumia devices will plummet, while the new ones will be coming Goddess-knows-when at who-knows-what prices. It might not even arrive on a given consumer's carrier. But he knows which devices will, and how much they'll cost.

Samsung, ironically, has a chance to capitalize on Nokia's blunder by announcing pricing, ship dates and carriers now. One benefit of using the Galaxy S III chassis is that it's much easier to get new product out faster, since it's essentially already being built.
    aubreyq likes this.
    09-05-2012 03:52 PM
    they needed to at least give a time frame. Late holiday, q4 or something. whenn they announced the 900 i think it was like 5 months until it was released and didnt know until a few weeks before.

Bad move
    And look how "well" the 900 sold! Same old Palm-style cycle... announce the device with no significant details about availability, wait for months, and then release it long after everyone stopped caring and bought another product that was actually available. Make excuses for craptacular sales and then promise "the next revision will be the big success."

Rinse and repeat into insolvency.
    09-05-2012 03:54 PM
    Are you guys forgetting that Windows 8 will be launched officially October 26 and Windows Phone 8 is set to be launched officially a few days after that?

How can they launch these phones right now considering those facts?

Seriously everyone needs to stop complaining and all this "NOW NOW NOW" BS.
    09-05-2012 05:38 PM
    Are you guys forgetting that Windows 8 will be launched officially October 26 and Windows Phone 8 is set to be launched officially a few days after that?

If that is the case, Nokia should have stated:

"Lumia 920 and 820. Available late October on AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile for $XXX and $YYY respectively."

FANTASTIC! DONE! TAKE MY MONEY!

But they didn't, and we're left oddly deflated with no real knowledge of carrier, price, or availability
    brmiller1976 likes this.
    09-05-2012 07:21 PM
    They've stated that we'll see it in select markets in the 4th quarter of 2012, and that they'll leave the date announcements up to the carriers.
    09-05-2012 08:09 PM
    They've stated that we'll see it in select markets in the 4th quarter of 2012, and that they'll leave the date announcements up to the carriers.
    Which carriers? You're further reinforcing my point.
    09-05-2012 09:08 PM
    Yep. Nokia showed vaporware today.

Motorola, Samsung, and Apple have shown (or will shortly show) phones with pricing, availability and carriers. Nokia showed cool technology from its labs that will be arriving "in the coming months."
    To be fair, Samsung's ATIV S is vaporware because pricing/carriers/date have NOT been announced. Also, two of the three new Motorola phones (the high end ones) don't have firm release dates, only "available before the holidays." At least we know Verizon is the carrier. No price on them, though. Only the RAZR M or whatever that was.

The Windows 8 release date is officially announced, but Windows Phone 8 doesn't have an official release date although a few days after W8 is the expectation, like you said.
    09-05-2012 09:16 PM

I've seen this movie before, and the ending sucks. RIM, Palm and HP have all demonstrated that you can't maintain the excitement after a product announcement for months. Nokia has done it, too. The complaints aren't based on "NOW NOW NOW." They're based on "OH NO NOT AGAIN!" These phones are fantastic, better than I was expecting. And it's disheartening to watch Microsoft and Nokia blindly making the same mistakes that have doomed BB and webOS to irrelevance.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    aubreyq likes this.
    09-05-2012 09:35 PM
    So, SMALL chance the 9/7 Helsinki store launch could be "SURPRISE!! WP8 phones are ready to order!"

That could really be the only way to explain today. If they do that, that's a big middle finger to Apple and Samsung and that would be pretty awesome.

If not, I just don't understand what the strategy is and who keeps approving it.
    eruptflail likes this.
    09-05-2012 09:47 PM
    Don't Nokia/MS board members have the power of WTF to keep things like today from happening? The two phones are great and would sell well if set up to do so.
    09-05-2012 09:48 PM
    Don't Nokia/MS board members have the power of WTF to keep things like today from happening? The two phones are great and would sell well if set up to do so.
    Not every single strategy aspect is run through the board of executives. They rely on CEOs to make decisions. If CEOs are not performing, they vote to get the CEOs replaced.
    09-05-2012 09:53 PM
    I agree that they missed the mark with their announcement. I'm aware they're trying to subvert the Iphone, but they should strike while they have the hype. I'm aware that WP8 won't be out until the end of October, but honestly, if they can show a fully functional Lumia 920/820 in their demo then they can pump one out to us.

People hate waiting, but most of all I think they failed in the aspect of pricing and carriers. Nokia will, also, likely fail to provide GSM unlocked devices directly from them, but nevermind that. From this event what I wanted the most was to know how much I had to set aside or save for the Lumia device I wanted. However, they failed to show me anything in that regard. Another question I had was, "will T-Mobile have either device, or both?" and they failed in that regard as well.

The phones look stunning, but we need details that aren't the specs. More practical details: carriers, pricing, and availability. Good job OP you really hit the nail on the head. Oh, p.s. don't try to do that with your Lumia 820, it doesn't have Gorilla Glass :P
    aubreyq likes this.
    09-05-2012 09:53 PM
    I think at least pricing could've helped
    09-05-2012 09:54 PM
    So, SMALL chance the 9/7 Helsinki store launch could be "SURPRISE!! WP8 phones are ready to order!"
    More like ZERO chance.
    If not, I just don't understand what the strategy is and who keeps approving it.
    Microsoft must be approving the stupid strategy. It's in their DNA to screw up marketing.
    09-05-2012 09:56 PM
    I'm definitely disappointed to see that they didn't announce any release dates or carriers as well. When you have Apple announcing the new iPhone in exactly one week, it's definitely in your best interest to put something out there. If I know precisely how long I have to wait to get my hands on one of these devices, I'm much less likely to go ahead and pick up something else. To be honest, I'm really tempted to get the Motorola Droid RAZR M as I've always been a fan of Motorola's phones and it's a great sized device as well.
    09-05-2012 09:56 PM

I double-checked the date and web site I was on... at first I thought it was February 2009 and I was at PreCentral.net.

NOBODY cares about Microsoft's timetable delays, machinations or rationales. NOBODY is going to say "hey, I need to be fair to Nokia and put off buying a new phone until Microsoft decides it's time to release Windows Phone 8."

They care about getting a cool new device on their carrier. When it comes time to buy later this month, they'll have lots of Android options, several Apple options (on the three largest US carriers) and likely zero Nokia Windows Phone 8 options.

Nobody forced Nokia to have an event. Nobody forced Nokia to hype the **** out of the event, claiming that "starting now, things are changing." Yet it was the same old baloney.

No pricing. No carrier support. No availability announced. Not even a show of the OS, which has yet to be released. Frankly, the worst performance in the last three months of any of the major mobile companies -- on par with what RIM has done.

Once the hot new handsets from the other companies get out with early adopters, the mainstream will buy what the early adopters have (the hot Galaxy S III and iPhone 5), the laggards will buy what the mainstream has (the hot Galaxy S III and the iPhone 5), and Nokia will wipe up a few of the crumbs of remaining market share left after the vast majority of the market buys something else.

It happened with the Pre launch on Sprint, the Pre Plus launch on AT&T/Verizon and the Lumia 900 launch on AT&T. Why would it be any different now?

If you were a developer considering how to deploy your resources, would you be developing for the hot handsets flying off the shelves now, or for the handset that will come "real soon now" in "selected markets" within "the coming months?" (PS, check out the collapse in new WP apps... developers are either bailing or taking a "wait and see" approach. Less app development = fewer apps = less competitive platform).

Microsoft needs to kickstart this thing now. It's bad enough they completely screwed the WP 7.X user base by orphaning our phones... even worse that the announced WP7 was EOL months before launching its replacement. Now we have vapor, promises and prototypes without software demos, no SDK, and "real soon now." Apple and Google have compelling, affordable, ubiquitous product.
    Last edited by brmiller1976; 09-05-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    09-05-2012 10:11 PM
    This was a Nokia event to show off Nokias phones. At the Windows phone summit not too long ago MS said WP8 will be out in 2012. I actually thought Belifore or whatever said in the fall?
    09-06-2012 12:16 AM
    bmiller all i see is pointless whining. You sound more like a shareholder than someone that cares about the phones.

We all knew WP8 is coming out in late October so what difference would it make whether they announced that the phones will be released in late October or not announcing it?

Developers know the release date and not knowing a release date for these particular phones isn't going to drive them away anywhere. I know devs that have traditionally made apps for iOS and Android and their eagerness to develop for WP8 hasn't changed any.

There was no chance that these phones were going to be released earlier than late October so you should so it's probably your own fault for having your expectations up. If you feel more secure with Apple and Google products then you should consider those for your next purchase since it sounds like you can't wait.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    09-06-2012 01:04 AM
    very underwhelming reveal. and this is from an all things MS lover. booooo....
    09-06-2012 02:01 AM
    We all knew WP8 is coming out in late October so what difference would it make whether they announced that the phones will be released in late October or not announcing it?
    It makes an enormous difference. Don't be purposefully obtuse. The number one question everyone at the event had was "When can I buy one?" followed closely by "Which carriers?" Neither Microsoft nor Nokia answered either question, and executives at both companies had to know these questions would be paramount. "Q4" is too vague. "Q4" doesn't even remove the possibility that these specific phones could be delayed until 2013. It's crazy to not have a good response to these issues when your biggest competitor will be offering preorders within an hour of the end of their event, and delivery within 10 days. Crazy.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    09-06-2012 09:13 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD