Will any current apps see a rehash?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I heard/saw/read some people complaining about some basic apps like Twitter and FB..
I also know that from now on, apps will be coded for WP8 only(not 7.8), but what about the existing apps??

Will they be rewritten...? Revised? Overhauled?(copywriter instincts kicking in now :p)

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Well WP7.5 apps will run in WP8 and there is no reason you cannot make a WP7.5 app anymore. But this is what will probably happen:

Apps will be written for Windows 8/Windows RT to go on the market place because Windows OS is a far reaching platform and you are reaching a far broader audience than WP8 ever had.

Eventually those apps will get ported to WP8 since a lot of the code can be shared which was the big issue with WP7 is that it couldn't use native code.

Those that were WP7 exclusive apps probably will be re-written or optimized for WP8.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I've heard from several developers that they will develop separate WP8 apps to take advantage of the new hardware and capabilities. Will be interesting to see how performance on 7.x apps such as Facebook benefit from the pure processing gain in devices like the 920.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Many apps really don't need the functionality in WP8. And if Nokia still ends up selling low-end cheap WP7.x devices in developing nations, it will be a market many devs will want to tap into.

And if this is the case, I would hope that the WP7.x API would still be worked on. Nokia does have access to the source code. If the market is large enough, maybe some extra port access and other things could be added.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
There are a tonne of missing APIs / API functionalities in WP7 and I will be interested to see if these are remedied. An example: RSS readers. To the best of my knowledge, Microsoft has no text content control that supports rich text. As such, apps such as Nextgen Reader use an embedded webpage control for rich formatting of the RSS articles. But, the webpage control has no scroll bar capability.

That's a very basic problem which frankly can affect a huge number of applications, and is reason enough for many apps to update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb