Microsoft fails again on Notification Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but lock screen indicators + toasts are something both iPhone & Android already have. I want a pull-down time-sorted list of missed toasts like they have. They lock screen + live tiles is not a substitute for that.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
On the one hand we don't 100% know that they didn't... it's just unlikely.

On the other hand I want one as an option but I haven't exactly struggled not having it. I actually do believe lock screen + tiles IS a nice substitution. It's just a different mindset, and I chose to adapt until the time I get what I want.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
We don't know if it has failed yet as WP8 is still an unknown.
Also, Id imagine that it could be implemented easily via an over the air update, so Im not too concerned..

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind a tick box option for the Me Tile notifications. You simply tick the notifications you want to receive for that tile.

• Toast Alerts
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yo, scew it. I dont even need a notification center [I would really really like one though], but please make the toast notifications stay up until dismissed! Having to make a mad dash to your phone when you hear a notification sound is maddening.

I really think something in the core of the code is screwed up for notifications. The ME tile is flaky at best. And I haven't seen a Facebook notification in about two weeks, even though when I open the app, I see them.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The Me tile was wonky for me for a while, but it was fixed a few weeks ago. Everything has been fine since then.

I'm wondering how necessary one master notification center will be when we will have smaller tiles. You could fit all the necessary live tiles into one view.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
^^ Yeah, I find the whole notification system on WP a little off at times. It's one of the biggest things I hope they address in Wp8.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Would there be any downsides to them essentially taking Harmattan's left home screen, ie turning the Me tile into a home screen to the left of the tiles?

Of course, they'd have to open it up to integration a bit more, would like third party apps to plug in (as an example, you might use app.net and Microsoft isn't likely to bother integrating that themselves).

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but lock screen indicators + toasts are something both iPhone & Android already have. I want a pull-down time-sorted list of missed toasts like they have. They lock screen + live tiles is not a substitute for that.

So isn't this where some industrious programmer can come in and create a nifty app for the WP8 store and charge $1.50 or so for it?

We can complain that its not part of the system, but I'd say the best way for MS to see they should include it is for them to see a Notification Center app sell well in their store.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty, BlackBerry does one thing right with their notifications. It has a big, old school LED that blinks when you have a new message. It can be customized to blink different colors or patterns based on whether it is for a missed call, or an email or text, etc. as well as by who the person sending the message. It's hard to miss when it's blinking so even if I miss the sound or vibration, I can see the LED blinking in my pocket later and check what's up.

Also, the LED can be disabled if not wanted or at night.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why MS couldn't allow, for phones that have back lit buttons at the bottom, to make the buttons flash when a missed call, and, etc. Came through.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why MS couldn't allow, for phones that have back lit buttons at the bottom, to make the buttons flash when a missed call, and, etc. Came through.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Yeah, I thought of that awhile back, but has anyone ever suggested it to that WP Feature Suggestion site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786