2. Stop the Upgrading Uncertainty
3. Push Cloud Apps and Services

IMHO, "Yep, these are three valid points that MS should seriously consider."

Discuss...

Last edited by a moderator:

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the points, and then I believe there's 2 more points to make WP a success.

4. Have a faster update/iteration cycle.

Mobile innovation is slowing down, but Microsoft needs to be seen iterating faster, not at a more 'leisurely' pace. Being late to the party too many times and people will begin not to care, IMO. Remember, the XBox 360 had a huge headstart against the PS3 and is winning the current gen console wars, and that's what MS needs with WP8, a huge headstart in features, showing that it is the leader, not just keeping up.

5. Effective advertisements

Apple does it so effective, you wonder why the other companies just can't do it on the same level. But that's what MS + Nokia needs to do.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the points, and then I believe there's 2 more points to make WP a success.

4. Have a faster update/iteration cycle.

Mobile innovation is slowing down, but Microsoft needs to be seen iterating faster, not at a more 'leisurely' pace. Being late to the party too many times and people will begin not to care, IMO. Remember, the XBox 360 had a huge headstart against the PS3 and is winning the current gen console wars, and that's what MS needs with WP8, a huge headstart in features, showing that it is the leader, not just keeping up.

5. Effective advertisements

Apple does it so effective, you wonder why the other companies just can't do it on the same level. But that's what MS + Nokia needs to do.
Patience Grasshopper. When WP8 & W8 are finally introduced and people realize what a tightly integrated OS looks like, MS will surely rebound. If Cadillac could rebound after those abortions called the Cimarron & Catera, it should be easy for MS.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Patience Grasshopper. When WP8 & W8 are finally introduced and people realize what a tightly integrated OS looks like, MS will surely rebound. If Cadillac could rebound after those abortions called the Cimarron & Catera, it should be easy for MS.

Indeed it could and I am standing in the MS camp for what it could give. Still, one hopes MS have a greater sense of urgency when it comes to the mobile space.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think everyone on this site will agree with the contents of that article, mainly because the author is just stating the obvious. Everybody knows those are three important areas Microsoft needs to be involved in, and Microsoft has been very involved in all of them for the last two years:

1. Microsoft has already signed IP licensing agreements with all the major Android manufacturers. Many speculate Microsoft receives between $5 - $12 per sold Android device. What is certain is that Microsoft earns much more from licensing IP for Android than they do from selling WP. Anyway, the big fish have already been fried. I don't think Microsoft can do much more in this area beyond going all out patent-troll.

2. Microsoft is trying really hard to get the carriers out of the update equation. Whatever happens on that front, Microsoft has promised that every device will get updates for at least 18 months (although I'm not really sure what that means).

3. Microsoft is definitely on this one. Burying the Windows Live mess, consolidating all their online services behind a single web-UI and deeply integrating WP with that platform is all part of the plan (and has been for quite some time).

Microsoft is taking all of these things very seriously. Unfortunately, even if Microsoft gets all of those three things right, I don't think it will be enough.

Somehow, on an emotional level, WP isn't connecting. Picking up a WP device in a store just doesn't make the same impression as an Android device with an animated background image. Many peoples first reaction to WP is simply: "eww.. ugly". WP needs to grow on you, after which you learn to love it. But first impressions sell the device. Just the fact that Microsoft and Nokia employees can't stop mentioning how beautiful and personal the start screen is, tells me that aspect of WP is everything but self evident. As stupid and superficial as it sounds, I actually think this is WP's main sales-issue.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that Microsoft is still thinking in terms of releasing new Windows every 3 years, because enterprise won't update for 5-10 years anyway.

Microsoft needs to think like Apple, Google and Linux distros. Mobile OSes can't be stagnant for 3-4 years like desktop Windows.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that Microsoft is still thinking in terms of releasing new Windows every 3 years, because enterprise won't update for 5-10 years anyway.

Microsoft needs to think like Apple, Google and Linux distros. Mobile OSes can't be stagnant for 3-4 years like desktop Windows.

I don't think Microsoft is thinking about it that way. I think they would love to release weekly updates without carrier interference... they would do it if they could. They do want/need to keep the hardware platform stable though.

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

How do you know Microsoft is still thinking that way? Visual Studio 2012 is scheduled to receive regular feature updates, and it is widely speculated that Windows 8 will do something similar (though not to the same extent, seeing as how Visual Studio is a lot smaller than Windows).

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
*Apps that take advantage and show the potentially large advantages of the tile interface.

THAT my fellow Windows Phone enthusiasts is what WP 8 needs most of all.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Every 3-4 years? I don't know what you consider to be a "new" OS but last time I checked, iOS is basically the same since 2007, Android is Android no matter what dessert it is and I don't find much of a difference between Ubuntu or Debian. Windows and Palm are the only ones I know of to have done a complete reset and it was a lot more than 3-4 years between changes. PocketPC/Windows Mobile was around for how long? Palm OS was around during Lincoln's presidency it seems until webOS in '09.

Now let's move on to the desktop side, shall we? Apple has had OSX for, wait for it... 10 years! Windows traces its current roots to Windows XP in 2001. Fact is, XP runs quite a few progs from Windows 95. Windows 8 will be evolutionary since 7 runs in desktop mode.

Even if you consider an update as a new OS, MS kills everybody else too. Count the MONTHS between WP7 - WP7.5 - WP7.8 - WP8 and tell me that Apple or Google can best that.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I think MS need to completely re-think how they do things at a core level. And I feel like a lot of what they need to change is marketing and presenting to the consumer.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think MS need to completely re-think how they do things at a core level. And I feel like a lot of what they need to change is marketing and presenting to the consumer.
Agree 200% on your second point. I believe your first point will become evident when WP8 & W8 roll out later this fall.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Every 3-4 years? I don't know what you consider to be a "new" OS but last time I checked, iOS is basically the same since 2007, Android is Android no matter what dessert it is and I don't find much of a difference between Ubuntu or Debian. Windows and Palm are the only ones I know of to have done a complete reset and it was a lot more than 3-4 years between changes. PocketPC/Windows Mobile was around for how long? Palm OS was around during Lincoln's presidency it seems until webOS in '09.

Now let's move on to the desktop side, shall we? Apple has had OSX for, wait for it... 10 years! Windows traces its current roots to Windows XP in 2001. Fact is, XP runs quite a few progs from Windows 95. Windows 8 will be evolutionary since 7 runs in desktop mode.

Even if you consider an update as a new OS, MS kills everybody else too. Count the MONTHS between WP7 - WP7.5 - WP7.8 - WP8 and tell me that Apple or Google can best that.

When I said "3-4" years, I meant desktop Windows. Win7 is 3 years old, and we're just getting Win8.

In 3 years time, OS X has gone from Snow Leopard to Lion to Mountain Lion.

Fedora Linux has gone from 11 (Leonidas) to 17 (Beefy Miracle) in the same 3 year time period.

Ubuntu has gone through 6 different versions in the past 3 years.

Debian has not had many updates, but it is the Linux distro that is the least "bleeding edge".

What I meant is that Microsoft cannot have the same attitude about its mobile OS as it does with its desktop OS. I believe Microsoft "thinking like it did about the desktop" is the reason it was so late to ditch WinMo and finally switch to Windows Phone.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree. It's a terribly childish and petulant thing to write M$. Where are we, in middle school?

Perhaps the person who posted that is a Linux user.

I dual boot Windows and Linux and belong to some Linux forums (and two local Linux User Groups). That is not unusual to see on a Linux forum. The Linux User Group members do not have any hostility toward Microsoft when I talk to the folks I know IRL. Linux forum members are not exactly enamored by anything related to Microsoft.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
When I said "3-4" years, I meant desktop Windows. Win7 is 3 years old, and we're just getting Win8.

In 3 years time, OS X has gone from Snow Leopard to Lion to Mountain Lion.

Fedora Linux has gone from 11 (Leonidas) to 17 (Beefy Miracle) in the same 3 year time period.

Ubuntu has gone through 6 different versions in the past 3 years.

Debian has not had many updates, but it is the Linux distro that is the least "bleeding edge".

What I meant is that Microsoft cannot have the same attitude about its mobile OS as it does with its desktop OS. I believe Microsoft "thinking like it did about the desktop" is the reason it was so late to ditch WinMo and finally switch to Windows Phone.
How does going from OSX 10.6 to 10.8 constitute an new OS? Going from OS9 (Classic) to OSX is new. By your logic, Windows 7 is in its 3rd iteration with Service Packs. Different terminology but it's the same effect. Incremental enhancements are not considered "new" even by the manufacturers, otherwise OSX would be OSXI or something else. Sorry pal, ain't buying your argument.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
How does going from OSX 10.6 to 10.8 constitute an new OS? Going from OS9 (Classic) to OSX is new. By your logic, Windows 7 is in its 3rd iteration with Service Packs. Different terminology but it's the same effect. Incremental enhancements are not considered "new" even by the manufacturers, otherwise OSX would be OSXI or something else. Sorry pal, ain't buying your argument.

Well, the Linux distros use a different Linux kernel in most cases.

By your logic, Windows is even more ancient than OS X, since the NT kernel has been around since Win2000, which is older than the first OS X.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing that open source code is easier to update which is why Linux had so many revisions.

Enterprise Linux distros such as Red Hat and SUSE have long term support which mimics that of desktop Windows.

I believe the reason Microsoft has been so slow to update its desktop OS, compared to Apple and open-source (Linux) is because of need to support legacy programs in the enterprise. That's the same reason why there is long term support for the enterprise Linux distros. Macs are pretty much non-existent in enterprise, except in some graphic design companies.

The consumer typically does not need support for legacy programs and is able to upgrade much quicker than the enterprises.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb