War of ecosystems - Apple vs MS

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Elop loves to use the words, but honestly, October 26th is closing on us and MS did bring the big guns out against Apple for this battle.

Smartphones - Lumia 920 vs iPhone 5
Tablets - Surface + Surface Pro vs the new iPad + iPad Mini
Laptops - Ultrabooks vs Macbook Air
Desktop - Touch-enabled AIOs vs iMacs
Cloud - MS account vs iCloud

The one thing Apple lacks in this fight is the Xbox competitor at the living room, but Apple's still trying to figure it out, so that's one point for MS now. How will the battle pan out?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
you forgot 2.

Smart glasses ( from MS ) VS nothing on apple ( yet)
Xbox 360+ VS Apple tv? (lol)

apple TV is just a glorified HDMI cable on WIFI.. lol my parents got one for the cottage ( they are sold on apple :( lol) and i find it such a waste of $$$

so far MS takes the top no question , ( or will with W8 ) they have more devices.

but who knows what the next 5 years will bring.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Apple TV does everything other than games (no?)

Also, iPhone alone is generating enough revenue for Apple compared to each and every product line MS has to offer.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Apple TV does everything other than games (no?)

Apple TV allows you to brows the WEB , watch netflix and with a mouse or finger click you can connect your device screen strait to your TV. its pretty bassic. and the UI sucks. ( I find)

Also, iPhone alone is generating enough revenue for Apple compared to each and every product line MS has to offer

not really , no . maybe that was true a while back but Iphones sales are dropping . And MS has a nice rev from Windows for 99% of businesses

not to mention the Xbox witch is ranking in allot for MS.

but MS makes the most cash , NOT on product but on Royalty pay out ! lol

MS ecosystem in action ( tablet + phone + Xbox )
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALIuVb0NJ4[/YT]

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
And don't forget, aside from XBox/Kinect, you can use any "Windows Enabled" device and take full advantage of the Microsoft ecosystem. Choice is a good thing. Heck, even some non-Windows enabled devices play nice with the ecosystem. Can the same be said for iApple.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
There's a LOT more to Windows laptops than thoroughly-underwhelming "ultrabooks." Indeed, most of the best Windows laptops are not ultrabooks. This is true even when you're talking about high-end ultraportables like the Vaio Z and Thinkpad X230, not to mention mobile workstations like HP Elitebooks and Dell Precisions, or gaming rigs like Alienwares and Clevos.

Microsoft has won the battle for the living room (Xbox versus Apple TV) and PCs (both laptops and desktops). Apple has a commanding lead in phones, tablets, and online media purchases (whether or not you like iOS and iTunes, that's the cold hard market reality right now). Either company could turn out on top now that both companies are emphasizing complete ecosystems.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you EVER had any problem with any MS product you've owned? Really.
you forgot 2.

Smart glasses ( from MS ) VS nothing on apple ( yet)
Xbox 360+ VS Apple tv? (lol)

apple TV is just a glorified HDMI cable on WIFI.. lol my parents got one for the cottage ( they are sold on apple :( lol) and i find it such a waste of $$$

so far MS takes the top no question , ( or will with W8 ) they have more devices.

but who knows what the next 5 years will bring.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Smartphone: Apple wins in terms of sales, hands down. It's going to be a slaughter. Even If Nokia Lumia 920 is the better phone.

Tablets: for right now, iPad. But I see Windows tablets and RT tablets selling a ton. But this is just is in terms of sales only. The Windows Pro tables are much better than a iPad. IMO

Laptops: Windows wins hands down.

Desktop: LOLz

Cloud: MS, but I have no real world experience with iCloud.

Elop loves to use the words, but honestly, October 26th is closing on us and MS did bring the big guns out against Apple for this battle.

Smartphones - Lumia 920 vs iPhone 5
Tablets - Surface + Surface Pro vs the new iPad + iPad Mini
Laptops - Ultrabooks vs Macbook Air
Desktop - Touch-enabled AIOs vs iMacs
Cloud - MS account vs iCloud

The one thing Apple lacks in this fight is the Xbox competitor at the living room, but Apple's still trying to figure it out, so that's one point for MS now. How will the battle pan out?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Have you EVER had any problem with any MS product you've owned? Really.

What does that have to do with any thing? sure ive had problems with MS products, not many doh , probly why im still a fan even doh most of the people I know are now 100% mac.( witch is not a problem....)

Smartphone: Apple wins in terms of sales, hands down. It's going to be a slaughter. Even If Nokia Lumia 920 is the better phone.

Tablets: for right now, iPad. But I see Windows tablets and RT tablets selling a ton. But this is just is in terms of sales only. The Windows Pro tables are much better than a iPad. IMO

Laptops: Windows wins hands down.

Desktop: LOLz

Cloud: MS, but I have no real world experience with iCloud.

In terms of market shares and sales I think your 100% right, apple is still on top of MS and probably will be for a long time/ever.
but
In terms of ever all Ecosystem (just the product) MS offers hands down the best ecosystem. More products , More features , more possibility. ( or will with WP8/W8 ) .

like any company they will all be good , it mostly comes down to personal preference, but in all honestly no one is really better then an other , every major company will have their Plus and Minus. sure some of my MS products are missing some cool things apple has , but MS has more to offer for my needs . Im not willing to BREAK UP or dish out double the $$ for a phew Apple features.

Its still hard to know whats really gona happen and like I said in my first post , who knows where will be in 5 years. ... heck I might even be a Imore.com MOD by then for all I know ;) (probably not :giggle:)

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I just asked a question.

I don't think the average person is into ecosystem thing. I don't even see the big whoop about ecosystem. I use a windows PC, windows phone, and xbox. Nice and all, but I uses bing and google. Evernote over One note, Amazon over Zune.

I think the company who will win the "ecosystem" battle, if the one that offers their services on multiple platforms. So I guess MS is ahead on that front.
What does that have to do with any thing? sure ive had problems with MS products, not many doh , probly why im still a fan even doh most of the people I know are now 100% mac.( witch is not a problem....)

In terms of market shares and sales I think your 100% right, apple is still on top of MS.
but
In terms of ever all Ecosystem (just the product) MS offers hands down the best ecosystem. More products , More features , more possibility.

but like I said in my first post , who knows where will be in 5 years. ... **** I might be a Imore.com MOD by then for all I know ;) (probably not :giggle:)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think Microsoft is going to have the better ecosystem, but I think Apple is going to be ahead in smartphone sales and tablet sales for a while and profit margin for a very long time.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Man that nsquared video is so annoying. I know what they show is possible. Just need the $15,000 table that you dont even want to put a cup of coffee or your feet on. Then all you need is a PC for your TV as well so you can have all the same programs installed on it. So hopefully this whole single seat license crap is going to go bye bye. I would hate to have to buy autocad for my table, tablet, design PC, and bigscreen PC just so I can do this seamless computing. Not sure how much autocad is anymore, but I am guessing its still like $5000 per seat.

Other than that I can't wait till stuff can be flung up to walls and my coffee table turns into a email entry device when I put my phone on it while watching a movie on my actual TV.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just asked a question.

I don't think the average person is into ecosystem thing. I don't even see the big whoop about ecosystem. I use a windows PC, windows phone, and xbox. Nice and all, but I uses bing and google. Evernote over One note, Amazon over Zune.

I think the company who will win the "ecosystem" battle, if the one that offers their services on multiple platforms. So I guess MS is ahead on that front.

I hear what you're saying. I have a Windows PC (but I also run Linux--that's what I'm running now) and a Windows Phone. I don't have Xbox.

I don't use IE on my PC even when I'm running Windows (prefer Firefox and Opera). I do use Bing more than Google.

I don't use Evernote or One Note.

I also use Amazon and don't use Zune/iTunes for music.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Fortunately, it isn't "iPhone 5 versus Lumia 920."

It's iPhone 5 versus ALL the other Windows Phones.

There's more variety on the WP side. You can go for a professional and slick brushed aluminum ATIV S if day-glo isn't your thing.

You get Microsoft Office, which is THE standard (iWork, Google Docs and other quarter-measures notwithstanding). The Music and Movie infrastructure on Windows is competitive. The XBox gaming infrastructure is top-rate. The Windows 8-WP8 integration is likely to be best in class. NFC will be here and mainstream for at least a year on WP before it makes its first appearance on Apple's infrastructure.

Microsoft has to ship it and let Samsung, HTC and Nokia do what it takes to sell it.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I think the advantage MS also has over Apple is its OEM partners and its use of more open standards. Apple is content to make exclusive standards that work only between the iDevice and whatever accessory you have, MS on the other hand is actually a bit more open. DLNA far more expansive than AirPlay which means you have more choice, and it will work between more than just any specific brand of devices if the OEM wants to. The same can be said for cables and ports. In addition developers have been writing apps for Windows for a long time it should only be a small leap to start making WinRT apps and from there a small leap to Windows Phone 8.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That is one of the dirty secrets of Apple-land.

"Oh Windows Phone, eh? Imagine if your phone got a blue screen, hehehehe."

Oh, yeah, Windows sucks. So much so that after three failed efforts at cloud services, Apple's using Windows Azure to finally provide a good experience.

"Huh?"

Never mind. Over your head. Enjoy your iThing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss