No Proprietary Chat?

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was really happy using Kik on WP7, but I can't seem to make the live tile update on WP8. I was on a limited texting plan, and using Kik was my way of keeping my sms under 200. When I went to my L920, I got my wife a L820 and we switched to one of the new shared data plans that has unlimited talk, unlimited text and of course limited data. Now I don't mind just using sms, but the group feature and the speed is not as good as Kik or something similar. I think the carriers are now realizing that data is where they can "exploit" the customers for more money and are limiting that on the new plans as opposed to limiting talk and text. By giving us an unlimited plan except for data, they get you back into using their network for voice and messaging instead of looking to use chat program or a VOIP service. I still have people that I message frequently that don't have unlimited sms though, and it would be nice if there was something that integrated into WP8 and was also cross platform.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
WP8 does have "proprietary chat." It has Windows Live Messenger. Also Windows Live Messenger is getting folded into Skype so eventually it will be that.

I, too, only use SMS which some Facebook sprinkled in there. SMS is the only thing that 100% of all my family/friends/coworkers have.

I don't praise Apple that often, but I do totally love how iChat works. You just simply send somebody a SMS and if they are on an iOS device it goes out the data connection via iChat and if not, it does a SMS. Pretty damn simple indeed.

How do you get Windows Live Messenger on your WP8 Phone, I searched the app store, nothing came back with this, am I being dumb...

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Go to Messaging

Open a conversation with someone you know that has a Windows Phone, or start a new conversation with that person

If you open an existing conversation, tap on the "Switch" icon at the bottom of the screen (the two arrows, facing left and right) and select "Messenger." Now you're sending them a WLMessenger message.

If you start a new conversation, start typing in the contact's name. You should see contacts appear via autocomplete, and there should be an option to send it to their telephone number or to them as a "Messenger" message.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Go to Messaging

Open a conversation with someone you know that has a Windows Phone, or start a new conversation with that person

If you open an existing conversation, tap on the "Switch" icon at the bottom of the screen (the two arrows, facing left and right) and select "Messenger." Now you're sending them a WLMessenger message.

If you start a new conversation, start typing in the contact's name. You should see contacts appear via autocomplete, and there should be an option to send it to their telephone number or to them as a "Messenger" message.

Ah, well I never knew that, been messing about with skype up to know. Good to know. I just had to change one thing to get this to work as it would not work at first, when in messenging, click the centre icon at the bottom of the screen, and choose available, I was set to offline, once I turned this on it logged in and works as you say. Cheers!!!

minzegwu

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
WP8 does have proprietary chat when u use the "room" feature. it uses Skype/WLM which of course is available to non WP8 folks, but is indeed exclusive when in a room.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
WP has had a proprietary chat service since day one. 2 actually. Windows Live Messenger and Facebook are integrated into the SMS app. And eventually WLM will become Skype.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
WP8 does have proprietary chat when u use the "room" feature. it uses Skype/WLM which of course is available to non WP8 folks, but is indeed exclusive when in a room.
Yea, isn't everyone forgetting about "rooms"? It was a big talking point at the launch keynote for wp8...

Ushtang2

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
But you would still have to have the recipient of the message as a WLM or FB contact. WLM works fine for contacts you already have in WLM but I found there's no easy way to add someone new as WLM contact from the phone.

I have contacts that use WLM on both their phone and PC but they are not on my WLM contact list. In the People hub, WLM is not an option when I view the messaging options in their tile. One of us has to go into the WLM client on the PC, initiate a friend or contact add request, the other then has to approve it. Only after all this will there be an option on the phone to message someone by WLM.

iMessage is much more simple. You only need to know the cell number or email assoiciated with the iMessage account. You can message anyone on iMessage as long as you knew their number or email.

I also find sending pictures over WLM through the phone broken. It either takes way too long or fails completely and I usually have to resort to switching from WLM mode to SMS/MMS mode to send the pics as that usually goes right through.

Hopefully full Skype integration will fix all this.

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Proprietary chat made sense in the early days of blackberry where you had corporations rolling out bb's to their workforce. Now with how fragmented the market for smartphones is, the need is for good cross platform chat clients be that skype or whatsup

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
But you would still have to have the recipient of the message as a WLM or FB contact. WLM works fine for contacts you already have in WLM but I found there's no easy way to add someone new as WLM contact from the phone.

I have contacts that use WLM on both their phone and PC but they are not on my WLM contact list. In the People hub, WLM is not an option when I view the messaging options in their tile. One of us has to go into the WLM client on the PC, initiate a friend or contact add request, the other then has to approve it. Only after all this will there be an option on the phone to message someone by WLM.

iMessage is much more simple. You only need to know the cell number or email assoiciated with the iMessage account. You can message anyone on iMessage as long as you knew their number or email.

I also find sending pictures over WLM through the phone broken. It either takes way too long or fails completely and I usually have to resort to switching from WLM mode to SMS/MMS mode to send the pics as that usually goes right through.

Hopefully full Skype integration will fix all this.

if there WLM email address is in your contacts it should show up in your people hub as online

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Proprietary chat made sense in the early days of blackberry where you had corporations rolling out bb's to their workforce. Now with how fragmented the market for smartphones is, the need is for good cross platform chat clients be that skype or whatsup

Totally agree. Jabber or some XMPP based protocol should be used so we have the possibility of using different clients. The issue is who runs the service as a whole and who pays for it. I'd like to see something like the phone system which is federated with I interconnections between providers.

Right now whatsapp seems to be leading the way, but iMessage has obviously captured a lot of iPhone users into a proprietary solution.

yellowjacketphoto

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Go to Messaging

Ok, I tried this and am not getting an option for messenger when I try to send to someone I know has the same phone as me! what am i doing wrong? :(

Enever

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The person you are trying to contact might not have a microsoft/ messanger account yet? ( this is possible when you first get the phone )

Ushtang2

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Even if they have a messenger account, they would need to add you as contact or you would need to add them as a contact. There is no way to do that over the phone. From your computer one of you would need to sign into Windows Live Messenger then send the other a request to add that person as a Messenger contact. The other person then needs to also sign on to Windows Live Messenger on a PC and approve the request.

Ushtang2

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
if there WLM email address is in your contacts it should show up in your people hub as online

It didn't for me. I had to send a request through Windows Live Messenger on my PC. The contact then had to approve the request also from a PC through Windows Live Messenger. It was only then and after my phone synced with my MS account did I have the option to send a message through Messenger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786