HTC beat Nokia at it's own game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Talk about beautiful design that feels like it's made with Windows Phone in mind. Something new, something fresh, something that represent the very best on the company.

What is Nokia going to do now? The 8X is basically a better looking, much lighter Lumia 920 that's available on all major carriers. Maybe if it had real pureview it might differentiate themselves but they blow it hard.

Edit: The Beat part is a pun.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
With 32GB of storage, OIS, exclusive apps, wireless charging + accessories, Puremotion HD screen with super sensitive touch, yeah Nokia blew it hard. :dry

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Why can't people just enjoy all of the WP8 devices instead of picking and choosing sides. This trolling is getting a bit much.

The phones from each OEM have their positives and negatives so choosing one over another is purely a personal preference.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Why can't people just enjoy all of the WP8 devices instead of picking and choosing sides. This trolling is getting a bit much.

The phones from each OEM have their positives and negatives so choosing one over another is purely a personal preference.

Its hard to make that notion when Nokia is being just as petty. I think picking sides is completely idiotic but oh well

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The 8X better be lighter...it's smaller. It lacks most of the innovative features of the Lumia 920, including OIS, wireless charging, and glove-friendly touchscreen. HTC has a reputation for not addressing customer complaints, unlike Nokia (compare Titan 1's voice issue with Lumia 900's data issue). And the HTC Hub is a farce compared to Nokia's apps.

Nokia was right to call out HTC for the styling of the 8X. Profoundly derivative. Sony should raise the same complaint over the 8S's bottom bar.

Also, crowing about being on three carriers isn't huge when we simply don't know either way on the 920's availability. Or the Ativ S's availability.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey, Nokia was really cocky. You would think their Flagship phones will be miles ahead in the competition but it isn't.

ATIV wins specs, 8X design. Nokia didn't expect Samsung and HTC to bring out their A game so they half ***.

That being said, my excitement for Windows Phone 8 has skyrocketed into the stratosphere. I've being complaning about the lack of cool phones since they beginning and now finally my dream came true.

Me happy ^_^.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Samsung wins in terms of specs (size, weight, expandable storage in a flagship device). Nokia wins in terms of innovative features. How can HTC win in terms of styling when the 8X's design is so derivative of Nokia's designs?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Talk about beautiful design that feels like it's made with Windows Phone in mind. Something new, something fresh, something that represent the very best on the company.

What is Nokia going to do now? The 8X is basically a better looking, much lighter Lumia 920 that's available on all major carriers. Maybe if it had real pureview it might differentiate themselves but they blow it hard.

Edit: The Beat part is a pun.

Hrm

HTC 8X has 16GB no MicroSD vs 32GB Lumia 920
HTC 8X only has bluetooth 2.1 vs 3.1 (4.0 version was licensed today) on Lumia 920
Lumia 920 has larger battery at 2000Mah
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...s%2Fsmartphones%2Fhtc-wp-8x%2F&token=s8PB03dx

That's before we go for camera, screen, not tot talk about just Nokia made apps, not including exclusive apps.

-Nokia Transport
-Nokia Music
-Nokia Trailers
-Nokia City Lens
-Nokia Creative Studio
-Nokia Camera Extras
-Nokia Play To
-Nokia Contact Share
-Nokia Counters
-Nokia App Highlights
-Nokia TV
-Network setup

There's size and for some that might be problem, but other than that it's hard to make an argument why would you buy HTC over Nokia globally.
Their mid tier phone is also taking punches against Lumia 820 with that lower RAM, less impressive screen and so on.

It's up to Nokia to sell Windows Phone, just like it has before.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Only 16GB with no expanding and a tiny 1800 mAh battery when 920 has 2000 mAh and ATIV has 2300 mAh are deal breakers for me if I had all three to choose from.

Since I'm Verizon, my only choice is the 8X unless the ATIV launches there too. So if that's the case HTC wins by default. A win's a win I guess. :) Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna be happy with any WP8 device.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Only 16GB with no expanding and a tiny 1800 mAh battery when 920 has 2000 mAh and ATIV has 2300 mAh are deal breakers for me if I had all three to choose from.

Since I'm Verizon, my only choice is the 8X unless the ATIV launches there too. So if that's the case HTC wins by default. A win's a win I guess. :) Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna be happy with any WP8 device.

I will lay money the Ativ S launches on Verizon (as well as other carriers). In that case, HTC loses on screen size, battery, and expandable storage, but wins on styling (nobody, including Ativ S fans like me, is in love with its styling).

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Its hard to make that notion when Nokia is being just as petty. I think picking sides is completely idiotic but oh well

I agree...showing up at Samsung's event with signs and t-shirts, mouthing off on twitter...it reduces any manufacturer down to level of ****** commenters.

Yes, Nokia was the 1st one with colored phones...but as Apple has shown 1st to market means very little.

Nokia/HTC/Samsung...create good enough product + outstanding marketing and you won't have to play the 'I had it first' card

With that said...I am believe I will buy a phone now and just pay AT&T to exit my contract when either of these two companies decide to put a micro-SD slot into their uni-body designs.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I think the 8X looks very nice. But the wireless charging is the main thing that sways me towards the Lumia 920. But I am glad to see other OEM's really taking WP seriously. I hope we continue to see this going forward. More choices is better for everyone.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Im actually impressed with the 8x, if I hadn't seen the 920, then Id get one. Im loving the blue, but feel that the Nokia apps are the deal breaker for me as I 'think' they will enhance my usage of the phone, but I have to say a big well done to HTC, I think they will do well and I hope they do as it is all good for WP8

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
How can HTC win in terms of styling when the 8X's design is so derivative of Nokia's designs?

That's my main beef with HTC right now. Everything just smacks of laziness. They really didn't do much in terms of specs, which if anything are slight refinements of their Titans no? Add to the fact that they ripped off Nokia's styling. However, I guess I can give them a point for the coloring, but at the same time that pisses me off too because Nokia should've included those colors in their line up.

As for HTC beating Nokia, pffft. Give me a break.

Last edited:

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

I agree 100%! A year ago we all complained there werent any good WP handsets that could compleat with apple and android. And now a year later, look what we get to choose from?

Honestly, the android vs iOS ****** toned posts just aren't right. We should all be PSYCHED that HTC is sitting at the table and betting big.

So DON'T be ****** dueche bags, get excited that WP now has more potential than it ever has!!

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I am happy at least 8x will be at multiple carriers. I am under contract at T-mobile so not swapping and 920 probably not coming.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree...showing up at Samsung's event with signs and t-shirts, mouthing off on twitter...it reduces any manufacturer down to level of ****** commenters.

Samsung is the king of smack-talk. What about their "The Next Big Thing is Already Here" ad campaign, calling out the iPhone 5 as underwhelming compared to the Galaxy S3 and making fun of iPhone fans for camping out for the iPhone 5?

Apple does it too. "I'm a Mac," "and I'm a PC" ads.

It's good-natured ribbing and it's part of the industry. There's nothing underhanded about it. Beer companies do it all the time, car companies do it all the time, and yes, tech companies like Nokia, Samsung, and Apple all do too.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Nokia was the 1st one with colored phones...but as Apple has shown 1st to market means very little.
Nokia's colors still look best. Samsung's GSIII colors are flat out embarrassing. HTC's come close; but, only Limelight Yellow impresses me.

They really didn't do much in terms of specs, which if anything are slight refinements of their Titans no?
These are NOT refinements of the Titan. The Titan was clearly higher end and had the cutting edge HTC form factor when it was first released. (HTC Android devices being released were still smaller and thicker.) Even now, the Titan looks modern next to the One X with its 4.7" display, small bezel, and metallic backplate.

I am not impressed. The ATIV S has a 4.8" display.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What is it about HTC?

HTC was a popular brand in Europe for a while (during the heyday of Windows Mobile). They lost most European customers after just a few years though. Their devices never held what their spec-sheets promised, they consistently shipped the worst low-level drivers in the business, and their support was virtually non-existent... want a software bug fixed, then buy a new phone was their mantra. Updates? forget it.

As far as I'm concerned, both Samsung and (particularly) HTC need to prove they are up to the task of providing good after-sales support for WP8. Although HTC really doesn't deserve another chance, I will withhold judgement for another hardware cycle, but I won't be recommending devices from either company at this point. Smartphones are computers. Going forward, they will need to be treated more and more as such... that means bug-fixes and updates must be a part of it!

I couldn't care less about any single company (Nokia, HTC, Samsung), but I do care about WP8. Here's to hoping that every single WP8 customer gets first class support, no matter what device they purchase!!

Last edited:

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
These are NOT refinements of the Titan. The Titan was clearly higher end and had the cutting edge HTC form factor when it was first released. (HTC Android devices being released were still smaller and thicker.) Even now, the Titan looks modern next to the One X with its 4.7" display, small bezel, and metallic backplate.

I am not impressed. The ATIV S has a 4.8" display.

Ah, heh well damn that's even worse and smacks of even more laziness or frugality (what with their alleged financial problems).

Btw, my comments aren't to say I'm not glad HTC is a partner in advancing WP8, but to address Winterfang's OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs