What's with these massive phones?!

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
We've go the Ativ S, the Lumia 920, and now the HTC 8X. They're all massive... We've yet to see, and I doubt we'll ever see, a top of the line Windows Phone 8 device that isn't above a 4" screen. Instead, we've got smaller devices that are essentially crappier, stripped down variants, without any real reason to exist. This is especially true considering they may be $50 to $100 lower in cost, but you'll still be paying nearly as much for the data plan, regardless of which phone you buy.

Gizmodo just posted an article on this very issue, where "smaller" variation phones, are also crappier from a specs perspective:

When Did Small Phones Become Crappy Phones? - Gizmodo

I would love a Lumia 920, with all of it's features, in an 800 sized package.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
It takes a larger phone to pack in LTE, a better camera and other technologies. Also, there's a lot of people, at least in the US, who want a touch screen phone with a larger screen for easier input. Personally, I prefer the 4" screen on my Focus and the upcoming HTC 8S. I prefer a capable phone that slips into my pocket. Having said that, I'll be getting a 920 on day one. The only issue I have with it is the weight.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The size is OK, but the weight is a disaster on the 920, and is the only thing bothering me.
Its not to heavy to hold or anything like that, but I had a Nokia N900 which was 180g, and I loved that phone, but it was never a 'slip into pocket and forget about it' device as you were aware that it was with you all the time.
Im hoping that with the different form factor, it will not be as noticeable, but I will be in the shop trying it to be certain as it is an issue.
Im tempted by the 8X and the 820, but Id miss the nokia apps on the 8X and the screen res is a big no on the 820...

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The large screen is a natural result of the move to all-touchscreen-keyboard designs. Phones 3.5 inches and smaller are almost impossible to use for serious messaging with a touchscreen keyboard. Smearing out a literate e-mail reply on a small screen is VERY frustrating.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I thought 4.3 is average. That's why some people were disappointed by the iPhone 5. 4 inches isn't enough. People like to read eBooks and documents on their phones, they require the large screens. If WP would release a 5.5 inch device and give it desktop experience, I would use that as a PC and print my documents from the device. I guess they would not do that since they want surface to sell.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the screen size has anything to do with apples success. I think it has more to do with a fan base that would buy a $700 toaster if it had a bitten apple on the side of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

thirdsun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the screen size has anything to do with apples success. I think it has more to do with a fan base that would buy a $700 toaster if it had a bitten apple on the side of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Where's the problem with just addmitting that there are things Apple does right? Sure, screen size preferences may differ, but don't you think it's a little simple to explain the iPhone's success only with a blind, over-loyal fanbase? I have been a iPhone user for years, enjoy my iPad and an iMac. This fall however I'm going to get a Lumia 920 - the reason for this is not lacking hardware design, it is the software that became too dated, too skeumorphic, too shiny and full of useless gradients, shadows, reflections. While I prefer Microsofts purely digital and minimal approach to interface design and think that Nokia does well with its bold hardware ideas, hardware-wise the iPhone still wins in my book. Perfect screen size, solid surfaces, clean lines, metal instead of plastic, lightweight and thin. It doesn't have to be the phone of your choice, but saying it's bad seems to be a very subjective, biased and exclusive opinion.

The problem with Apple though is the discrepancy between great, reduced, minimal hardware and overly playful, busy and skeumorphic software. As said before, the latter turned me to WP8 but if there was a WP8 device in an iPhone-body I'd take it any day. Until that happens i'm ok with the Lumia though.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
We've go the Ativ S, the Lumia 920, and now the HTC 8X. They're all massive... We've yet to see, and I doubt we'll ever see, a top of the line Windows Phone 8 device that isn't above a 4" screen. Instead, we've got smaller devices that are essentially crappier, stripped down variants, without any real reason to exist. This is especially true considering they may be $50 to $100 lower in cost, but you'll still be paying nearly as much for the data plan, regardless of which phone you buy.

Gizmodo just posted an article on this very issue, where "smaller" variation phones, are also crappier from a specs perspective:

When Did Small Phones Become Crappy Phones? - Gizmodo

I would love a Lumia 920, with all of it's features, in an 800 sized package.

The HTC 8x could have been somewhat close to the Lumia 800 size if they tried harder. The One S has a 4.3 inch screen and is pretty compact at 130.9 x 65 x 7.8 mm and the legendary Galaxy S2 clocks in at 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.5 mm.

Lumia 800. 116.5 x 61.2 x 12.1 mm which isn't that much smaller if at all. In fact, if you calculated the total volume the Lumia 800 would be more.

If LG can make the Optimus G that small for a 4.7 inch, someone could make a 4.3 inch as small as the Lumia 800 no problem.

So HTC screwed up basically.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Yet the iPhone 5 at 4.0" inches is selling 8 million in one weekend. Which means 3.5-4'" is the sweet spot for mass sales.

Don't just make things up. We have absolutely no concrete evidence that the iphone 5 wouldn't sell just as well if they went with a 4.3 inch screen instead of 4. My guess is that sales of the iphone 5 would be exactly the same regardless of screen size. .3 of an inch most likely isn't a deal breaker in any circumstance, let alone an isheep one.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon