Persaude me ...

maycontainuts

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Im looking into the high end of the smartphone market and have been for quite some time now, recently I have been slightly swayed towards the android side of the coin however the reason I have not yet picked up an s3 is due to the fact that I have been waiting a long time for WP8 and am waiting to see how it fairs after release.

So it is down to you guys.

Persaude me to go down the WP path.

(Obviously WP8 is not yet released however I understand info has been released so far)

RobbyRob

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I think you should research the products. Get what you want in the end not what everyone else tells you to want.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

maycontainuts

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That is something that I should have probably pointed out Im actually in the UK and on a Pay as you gVodafone, and no I do not mind which Carrier/provider that I am with so that does not bother me.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I see. Well, then I think you will have much better options in the UK. The US mobile market is so messed up. The only thing I will recommend is that you try a WP8 device in your own hands. Maybe find a carrier that will let you try a phone for 30 days. Or, get a cheapo WP7 device and try it out. It will be similar to WP8 but lacking many features. But at least you'd get the "feel" of what WP8 will be like.

maycontainuts

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Trying out a device seems to be the best thing to do, however one of the things that always seems to hang in my mind is the worry of getting bored of the actual looks of the OS. There is no doubt it is the best looking OS but it makes me wonder how it will look after 2 years of it. Do you still enjoy the look aspect of the OS after having it for a long time ?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Sure. I have been on WP7 since late 2011. The look isn't what sold me on it. It's that it just works and it's so easy to see everything all at once. I can see in one quick glance if I have new email, texts, phone calls, voicemails, etc. I don't know what I will think of the design in two years, but as long as it remains highly functional, I'll be happy.

I've done webOS (still my favorite UI), Android, and WP7. Windows Phone's tiles are genius! Android has nothing on this when it comes to presenting information succinctly and easily.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Without all the features in software, I can only talk about the virtues of its hardware from the vendor I support.

The Nokia Lumia 920 has various hardware innovations such as its PureView camera, the display that you can use with gloves on and a wireless charging solution. Things which Android makers aren't all into it yet.

I believe that support goes a long way, and Nokia has released many apps to support the WP7 ecosystem such as Nokia Drive, Nokia City Lens, etc. With its hand all into the WP ecosystem, you will want a Lumia device to enjoy to the fullest the WP8 experience in my view.

But then again, different phones are better for different people. I use a WP because I don't like iPhones, Androids froze on me all too often, and WP is the only viable solution after Nokia ditched Symbian. Your needs determine what phone you want to use.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The S3 is a nice phone and it's possible you'd be happy with it. But if you want the best of the best you should definitely wait until you can get a Nokia 920.
  • The 920 is built like a tank and far less like to be damaged when you drop it.
  • The S3 4.8 inch Super AMOLED 720 x 1280 pixels display is good, but it just can’t be compared with the 4.5 inch IPS TFT 768 x 1280 pixels display of 920 equipped with PureMotion HD+ technology
  • Pure view camera with optical image stabilisation
  • Wireless charging
  • use your phone with gloves on
  • Great Nokia Apps

We'll have to wait and see what's in store with WP8. It will be worth the couple weeks wait. If you buy the S3 you'll be kicking yourself in the arse for years to come. Buy the 920 and be happy for the next year or 2. You deserve it.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Its all personal preference really IMO. Android, iOS, Windows Phone are all very solid Phone OS's. They all have perks and downsides. Android allows a large amount of customization and Roms are available for when carriers and manufacturers are unable to provide OS updates, Large app selection comparable to the iPhone. However its also a bit messy (the layout can become easily cluttered with widgets IMO), there is a lot of fragmentation and there is the security thing too.

iOS has been around for a while and has not changed much. The OS is familiar and solid, the apps tend to be very mature and it has some of the best apps on mobile devices. That being said its the wall garden approach. Like most things apple they shun standards and blaze their own path. Technologically its not ahead of the curve really anymore except for maybe the processor power. Apple can be douchey and some people avoid them on premise alone. In addition the OS looks abosutely dated by now it hasn't changed since it came out really only adding things once everyone else has it and people clamor for it at this point.

Windows Phone is the newest and as such as the lowest amount of apps. Apps also may not be up to par with their Android or iOS brothers. There are a lot of little things that seem to pop up that its missing that you may be used to from other smartphones as well. That being said I think its one of the most innovative designs, it has the benefits of Apples app walled garden approach beefing up security coupled with the device options similar to android which is nice you aren't in a one size fits all scenario.

Thats just my brief thoughts I am sure others can provide more detail I am just too tired. lol

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Im looking into the high end of the smartphone market and have been for quite some time now, recently I have been slightly swayed towards the android side of the coin however the reason I have not yet picked up an s3 is due to the fact that I have been waiting a long time for WP8 and am waiting to see how it fairs after release.

So it is down to you guys.

Persaude me to go down the WP path.

(Obviously WP8 is not yet released however I understand info has been released so far)

I highly recommend waiting till at least January. There's something off with Windows Phone 8, I can feel it in my veins.

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey Nuts if you're unfamiliar with WP you should see their WP8 summit video to get somewhat of an idea. It may be long and boring at times but if you're interested....

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=royJee1SQlY[/YT]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234