Will I be able to mirror any WP8 device with a windows pc?

chuchi78

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I just saw some info on Smartglass and I think the extra info on a second screen is neat, but Microsoft is overestimating the number of adults that are willing to turn on an Xbox to stream media. So the glaring question: will I be able to mirror my Windows Phone 8 device on a tv?

Unless you have a Samsung phone and tv with Allshare, I'm afraid the answer seems to be "no". I would need something connected to my tv to receive the feed, and a Windows 8 PC seems to fit my needs quite well as a premium tv/digital music library/streaming service/blu-ray, cd, & DVD player/recorder. It's also great because I can install programs that let me mirror an iPad or iPhone to the PC.

DLNA and standard AirPlay are neat, but they fall prey to 2 problems. First, the recipient device needs to understand the codec of the file being played. Then there's the fact that not every app supports standard airplay/DLNA streaming, so you may not be able to throw whatever you're looking at (such as a game or presentation) without that support.

So how do I mirror my windows phone 8? All the new models lack even an hdmi or mhl port, but not even a wireless option? What gives?

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Can't see it myself.

Especially as the number of codecs supported by WP is pretty much the same as any DLNA consumer device (the xbox is no better).

I can't see a WP playing back anything your TV wouldn't already. If you manage to get extra codecs on the WP, i don't know if it'll have the power to actually decode anything of a meaningful bitrate.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I've been saying forever that Microsoft really needs to match Apple's AirPlay mirroring, as opposed to just the Airplay features that are years old.

It doesn't seem to be happening though; it's not in Windows 8 or the 360 dashboard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs