Does Nokia really have a huge software advantage?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Of course, I'll pass my final judgement when I can hold the devices in my hands, but the 8X has interested me far more than I thought it would. Sure, it might be missing the breakout features of the 920, like the super responsive screen and OIS, but many of those factors are still unknowns at this point.

Don't get me wrong - the 920 is one seriously innovative piece of hardware. But from a pure usability perspective, I'm not sure of it.

HTC nailed the form factor. I've been sadly watching as Nokia has drifted away from the original 3.8" design of the N9 and blown up, changed, complicated its designs. There's something beautifully right about the Lumia 800 that I don't quite feel is there in the 920. While I find the coloured speaker grills of the 8X to be rather offensive, I was going to get the black 920 for matte anyway, so going with the unexciting colour isn't a deal breaker.

My Omnia 7 is 4.0" and I don't want my next phone to be much bigger. Yes, I'm aware the 8X is taller than even the 920 - but that excessive bezel above the screen is not an issue when using the device, the excessive bezel below the 920's screen is. 720p, being 16:9, will allow for more content to be displayed on screen at once. And in other areas such as imaging, the 8X is at the very least competent.

I realised that I've been so certain of the 920 that I hadn't even considered how the software will differ. What will Nokia offer which HTC will not get? I am personally not enamoured by Angry Birds Roost, and isn't Nokia offering its mapping and navigation software across the platform?

Truth be told, I haven't been blown away by the software enhancements on the Lumias. Is there a real sticking point there that I am not seeing, or is Nokia touting City Lens so heavily because in actuality there aren't any killer exclusives?

phazer89

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Not too sure but I think only Nokia Drive (i.e. turn by turn navigation) will be available on all WP8 devices. Nokia Maps (or at least the full offline mode) will only be on Lumia devices if I'm not mistaken. Then there are the Lenses only available on Lumia phones, as well as current exclusives. If WP7 was any indication, I'm sure there'll be even more Nokia exclusives along the way.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
This is a question I have been asking myself as well, as traditionally I have steered away from anything manufacturers add to a phone having rooted and ROM'd every android phone I have ever owned to get rid of all the manufacturer installed apps/overlays.

The thing I just cant get out of my head right now is the integration between the Nokia apps, that was probably the stand out feature for me.
In google world, use the maps, then switch apps for the AR stuff that isn't that good.
In WP Nokia world, use the maps, tilt the phone to get AR related info, tilt another way to get driving directions, it was just so well thought out. I like the idea of Nokia transport as well - looks far better than the 3 apps I have to use at the moment..

So for me, and the way I want to use my phone, the apps do have a big enough appeal to make me choose a Nokia, the only issue is which one as at 185g, there is no way that you will forget that the phone is in your pocket, I had a N900 which was 180g and I was always aware I was carrying it, but the N920 is thinner so hopefully will be OK.

I guess you have to think about how YOU want to use the phone, as then see if the apps supplied will help you to do that in the easiest way - if the answer is yes, then they are worth having?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think yes, software wise they bring more to the table. But HTC has their own niche programs that are offered in the hub. I think each has their own strong point (beats for HTC and pure view for Nokia) but in the end, app support matters to me

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You just need to watch the news on this site to know Nokia have a massive software advantage.

Who is writing software to allow you to backup your phone to your PC. Nokia.
Who is writing Bluetooth contact/file sharing for WP7.8. Nokia.
My HTC HD7 is 2 years old, and the HTC exclusive apps have barely changed in 2 years. Nokia have added more in 6 months, than i've had in 2 years, and thats not going to change.

Luckily nothing Nokia are doing at the moment really makes me jealous, so i'm still interested in the 8X, and i'd imagine most stuff will come to other phones after a couple of months of Nokia exclusivity, doesn't mean i don't fully realise Nokia are the only bet if you have to have every single app the day it comes out.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I would say, as of right now, yeah. Of course that may change when time passes and we can see how Samsung and HTC respond.

Nokia Maps is for all WP devices. Drive is exclusive to Lumia. Other software exclusives will depend on if they're useful to you. Here's a short list of what Nokia's offering:
Exclusive apps coming to Nokia Lumia – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

I think the real concern is like what cckgz4 stated--app support. I can't speak for Samsung but HTC was really sparse and sporadic through out WP7 ranging from at best 6 months to worse 1 year. Whether that changes we'll see, but you know for sure that Nokia has spoken they will keep driving forward even for the 800 and 900.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Who is writing software to allow you to backup your phone to your PC. Nokia.
Who is writing Bluetooth contact/file sharing for WP7.8. Nokia.
I know Nokia has exclusive apps, I'm questioning the real value in them. I understand many are pumped up about City Lens, but I don't see myself using it much. I've got a fully unlocked Omnia 7 and I've never used Bluetooth File Transfer on it. The first point is news to me (care to link?), but I think that's a job Microsoft should be filling in (and probably will be with WP8).

In all honesty, I don't really care much if I don't get a bunch of apps like the additional Lenses or City Lens. They are nice but ultimately I don't see them as much more value than a free Marketplace purchase. I see that Nokia exclusives get a bunch of attention around here, but I've poked through the "Nokia collection" and nothing really caught my attention past the navigation stuff.

Nokia Maps is for all WP devices. Drive is exclusive to Lumia.
That's interesting. Drive is a legitimate differentiator (if slightly slow on the Lumia 800). I guess it won't be a humongous deal if the default Maps has better navigation than it does right now (the massive amount of space taken by directions and no voice).

I guess I'm betting on HTC at least supporting their devices, since the 8X and 8S are Windows Phone exclusive hardware. Pardoning bugs and driver issues on HTC's part, Microsoft announced that enthusiast program at the Windows Phone Summit which will allow you to get early access (bypassing carriers) to OS builds.

Last edited:

Portisfreak

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I gotta start with this: If you're outside the US, or even especially in Germany, there sadly isn't much to find in the Nokia exclusive apps. City Lens isn't even out here, the "commute" feature for Drive isn't there, Nokia Transport doesn't work.

Now for the worth of it:
- Nokia Drive is coming to all WP8 devices.
- Nokia Maps will be somehow integrated with Bing Maps (or replace Bing Maps?)...i don't know how taht will exactly turn out, but i gotta consider Nokia Maps a non feature.
- Nokia Music is nice, but there are other services around. One turn down on Nokia Music is that I can't use it on other devices: The windows client is pretty bad and there's no "website-client" or clients for linux. And if you're a music freak and willing to pay for it: There's like Last.fm or Spotify out there, which I preffer over Nokia Music right now. As for the Marketplace...the Microsoft/Zune Store is fine.
- So what's left? Maybe Nokia Transport and City Lens, if they're even available in your Region. If not, there are other apps to use, which might not be as cool as the Nokia ones, but they should do.
- The Camera Lenses: Well there maybe some worth to people. But I gotta say, coming to the decision between the Lumia 920 and HTC 8X from a camera standpoint doesn't even come down to Apps/Camera Lenses, cause that's where Nokia already has a lot more to offer from a hardware standpoint.

That being said, I think it all comes down to preference. The Lumia 920 is little bit more on the camera side, whereas the 8X has something for the music enthusiasts with their beats audio. Also, the Lumia is one **** of a large and heavy brick whereas the 8X comes thin and light.

One thing to mention about software would be the future effort either manufacturer will put in. I'd think Nokia is still a little bit more committed to the platform, but there's a possibility that HTC comes up to surprise. We've seen no new Android devices yesterday, and pointing out to be THE signature device for the WP8 platform surely inidcates a lot of commitment as well.

ADD: Nokia Drive will be available on all WP8 devices
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/nokia-drive-coming-to-all-windows-phone-8-devices-21-06-2012/

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Portisfreak, you pretty much typed out my mental run-down of the Nokia apps. My experience in Australia is pretty much the same as yours in Germany. It seems there is a lot of confusion regarding Bing / Nokia / Maps / Drive, but I can wait for that information.

Just watched Ben Rudolph's video on the HTCs and the image capture speed looks sweet. Does anyone know if the 920 captures at anywhere close to that speed? My Omnia 7 is far too slow at taking pictures. I think it's also noteworthy that HTC and Samsung did a lot on Android to spice up their camera experiences. I find it hard to believe that neither will offer any Lenses.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I know Nokia has exclusive apps, I'm questioning the real value in them. I understand many are pumped up about City Lens, but I don't see myself using it much. I've got a fully unlocked Omnia 7 and I've never used Bluetooth File Transfer on it. The first point is news to me (care to link?), but I think that's a job Microsoft should be filling in (and probably will be with WP8).

Whilst you and i probably don't care. A lot of people do.

Just look at the top ideas on the WP suggestions page.

Feature Suggestions: Top (16314 ideas)

Bluetooth file transfer is the 2nd highest voted request, device backup is 7th. Microsoft are addressing both on WP8, but only Nokia is doing something about it on WP7.

Link for backup...Nokia suite beta

clavecinist

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia software was the deciding factor when I purchased the L900.

_I rely on public transit and Nokia Transit has made many of my commutes a breeze. I guess I could fumble around in Maps and look up routes each time, but the ability to pin destinations that refresh from my current location is like magic for me.
_I also travel pretty frequently so City Lens has definitely come in handy when I'm somewhere I've never been before. If you don't travel then maybe not as attractive.
_Maps and Drive are also great, but if those make it to the rest of the platform it might not matter much.
_The camera tech/lens features to me are a no-brainer. I don't carry a camera, and I don't want to download a bunch of other apps to then screw around with editing.

It seems to me most of their software was made to appeal first to the American market, but I can't imagine they intend to leave the other major markets out for long. Of all the apps on my phone it tends to be the Nokia apps that "wow" people when I demo them. Even if all of these apps made their way to the Marketplace I still think I'd stick with Nokia because they've shown a pretty good record of pushing this platform forward.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Whilst you and i probably don't care. A lot of people do.

Just look at the top ideas on the WP suggestions page.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that feature is more for countries such as India where music and such are commonly shared via Bluetooth. That's a totally different demographic and I can't speak for their needs and which device they'd choose.

Ah, it's a beta, no wonder I never saw it. That's fantastic work on Nokia's part, but if WP8 is close to feature complete, I see Nokia's advantage significantly narrowing. It seems they are simply filling in the WP7 gaps for their existing customers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa