So for some ungodly reason both Nokia and HTC failed big time on their mid-range devices.

Those devices are great and offer amazing color choices but they seem to cut losses in some unexpected ways, making them inferior to some their mid-range 7.5 counter part. They do offer MicroSD over their high end cousins and color color options. (double tone on the S, interchangeable covers on the 820)

HTC by not having a front-facing camera and Nokia by lacking Gorilla Glass. That being said the phones are beautiful.

Are you going for some of the mid-ranges?

I find myself a little bit annoying that the 8S is more like the OneV instead of the OneS. Very low end for calling themselves mid-range. However, I just spotted this color and is so pretty my eyes are salivating.

09-21-2012 08:54 PM
    Why don't you wait until a few more manufacturers show their WP8 phones.
    09-21-2012 08:59 PM
    Isn't only Huawei missing?
    09-21-2012 09:00 PM
    ZTE and Oppo, plus I read Fujitsu wants to expand to the U.S. along with Acer and Asus have popped up as possibilities.
    09-21-2012 09:08 PM
    I am going with Nokia. A company with the most to lose from failing is the company who will put the most effort into the project. Just my opinion.
    09-21-2012 09:11 PM
    I'm not counting them until I see them. I only saw Nokia,HTC,Samsung and Huawei on Microsoft list of wp8 partners.
    09-21-2012 09:12 PM
    I think that calling the 820 a failure solely on the basis of not having Gorilla Glass is a bit of an exaggeration. Considering the fact that it has the same guts as the 920 minus the camera and display but also adds micro SD support makes it a formidable device. Also, who knows if the 820 doesn't have hardened glass made by another manufacturer? I think you need to re-evaluate your thoughts.
    09-21-2012 09:14 PM
    I'm not counting them until I see them. I only saw Nokia,HTC,Samsung and Huawei on Microsoft list of wp8 partners.
    Just be patient, I know ZTE and Oppo have committed to WP8. Fujitsu wants to expand. Asus has already leaked a WP8 tablet, with a phone to follow and i read something about Acer getting into the WP8 field. :)
    09-21-2012 09:17 PM
    I think that calling the 820 a failure solely on the basis of not having Gorilla Glass is a bit of an exaggeration. Considering the fact that it has the same guts as the 920 minus the camera and display but also adds micro SD support makes it a formidable device. Also, who knows if the 820 doesn't have hardened glass made by another manufacturer? I think you need to re-evaluate your thoughts.
    Until it's proven to have some hardened glass it's untouchable for me. Also, a 1600 battery is weak sauce.
    09-21-2012 09:19 PM
    I didn't called the 820 a failure, I just said that Nokia fail by cutting cost that way. But yeah the 820 is kind of weak.
    09-21-2012 09:36 PM
    Corning isn't the only one who makes a scratch/ shatter resistant product.

Most OEMs actually have their own. But they choose to include Gorilla Glass on high end phones because of the brand recognition.
    09-21-2012 09:44 PM
    Lol, what is ur ideal phone. And what do you plan on doing with it, that you can't do on devices now.
    I didn't called the 820 a failure, I just said that Nokia fail by cutting cost that way. But yeah the 820 is kind of weak.
    aubreyq likes this.
    09-21-2012 09:47 PM
    I don't know if I'd call it a failure, but until I see a video of it being used as a hammer it won't get my dollars. Considering even the 610 has gorilla glass, it is a HUGE letdown for the replacement to Nokia's outgoing 2nd in command not to have it.
    09-21-2012 09:49 PM
    One thing is for sure. Corning has done their marketing right.
    09-21-2012 09:55 PM
    Lol, what is ur ideal phone. And what do you plan on doing with it, that you can't do on devices now.
    I can get satisfied with quite some options.

a phone with a true Pureview camera
    the ATIV S
    An Evo LTE running WP8
    A Note running WP8

I just want a Windows Phone with the latest specs, You would think is too much to ask.
    09-21-2012 09:55 PM
    The Samsung and new Lumia are current spec wise.

the ATIV S

An Evo LTE running WP8

A Note running WP8

I just want a Windows Phone with the latest specs, You would think is too much to ask.
    09-21-2012 10:06 PM
    Yes, I mentioned the ATIV as my ideal phone. Is the only Windows Phone I would call current specs. HTC and Nokia flagships are in Android mid-range territory.
    09-21-2012 10:08 PM
    What spec does the ATIV have that makes it current, while the 920 mid-range? Aren't they pretty much the same?
    09-21-2012 10:16 PM
    Screen size, Slimmest, lightness.
    09-21-2012 10:31 PM
    I really think. This person should be banned. he's getting very annoying. Almost everybody agrees. and 920? a mid range phones? In your dreams. Just because the 920 doesn't have a full pureview camera doesn't mean it's a Mid range phone. man you are clearly stupid. Did you even read why Nokia didn't use the full pureview camera. Nokia even explained it. It's dead simple
    aubreyq likes this.
    09-21-2012 10:36 PM
    The Lumia 820 is a serious machine for mid grade. The only thing keeping it from being high end is an HD display and gorilla glass. However, a good screen protector will take care of that and the 800X480 clearblack AMOLED display is nothing to sneeze at. In fact several websites said the display of the 900 was better than the retina display which is also on the iphone 5 and the 820 will get an enhanced version of the same screen found on the 900. I am choosing the Lumia 820 as my next device because it has the guts and beauty while sharing many of the high end features of the 920. The 820 smokes the 900 in every regard yet the 900 is a current flagship model. I consider the 8S however as a low end device. The 820 has many improvements over the 8S such as NFC, wireless charging, super sensitive touch screen, Bluetooth 3.1, front facing camera, 8MP sensor, 1080p video recording, faster processor, and double the RAM! The 820 smokes the 8S all day long and I consider it a high end device without the HD display.
    09-21-2012 10:38 PM
    The Lumia 820 is a serious machine for mid grade. The only thing keeping it from being high end is an HD display and gorilla glass. However, a good screen protector will take care of that and the 800X480 clearblack AMOLED display is nothing to sneeze at. In fact several websites said the display of the 900 was better than the retina display which is also on the iphone 5 and the 820 will get an enhanced version of the same screen found on the 900. I am choosing the Lumia 820 as my next device because it has the guts and beauty while sharing many of the high end features of the 920. The 820 smokes the 900 in every regard yet the 900 is a current flagship model. I consider the 8S however as a low end device. The 820 has many improvements over the 8S such as NFC, wireless charging, super sensitive touch screen, Bluetooth 3.1, front facing camera, 8MP sensor, 1080p video recording, faster processor, and double the RAM! The 820 smokes the 8S all day long and I consider it a high end device without the HD display.
    I agree with that, besides the crazy idea of not including the Gorilla Glass. The 820 while not as good looking is beats the 8S in every thing. (except beats)

The 8S is so pretty though but come on man not FFC? Price should dictate both but yeah if they are the same price, it will be hard to recommend one over the other.
    09-21-2012 10:51 PM
    Screen size, Slimmest, lightness.
    None of those are specs that measure something as better or more advanced. Everything you listed is about personal preference.

Big is not "more current" than small.
    Slim and light is not "more current" than sturdy

They are definitely qualities that many people prefer. But they don't make one phone more current gen.
    Last edited by Winning Guy; 09-22-2012 at 01:14 AM.
    aubreyq, addman and Scout_313 like this.
    09-21-2012 11:50 PM

Define "true PureView camera." Pretty sure Nokia makes the decision as to what is and what isn't PureView. Please don't say it must be 41 megapixels because it's not just about that.

A Note running WP8
    Samsung said they will release a WP8 Note:

http://www.windowscentral.com/samsun...droid-hardware

...But what if it doesn't meet your spec "requirements"?

It IS too much to ask if what you are asking for is unrealistic for a business whose main purpose is to make money.
    Last edited by aubreyq; 09-22-2012 at 01:08 AM.
    09-22-2012 12:55 AM
    The 820 of course
    09-22-2012 04:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD