HTC WP8x/s look tacky compared to Nokia 920

emergenic

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

First some background:
I am new to these forums, my first smartphone was a Nokia e71x which I loved for the solid quality fit and finish it had, but the Symbian OS left allot to be desired...So switched to iPhone 4 when it was released. Enjoy my iPhone 4 , but have grown tired of iOS, and a recent upgrade to iOS 6 has not produced enough innovation for me to justify the upgrade to an iPhone 5.

I am very impressed with the Nokia 920 and WP8 , so plan to switch when it is released later this year.

Now for the subject of this post:
I have been looking at various images and videos for both upcoming Nokia and HTC WP8 devices and keep coming to the same conclusion...

HTC WP8x/s look like play things...very plastic-ee/disposable , and that colored speaker grille just don't look right at all.

Nokia 920 looks solid, the fit and finish appear well thought out by the designers, and seems like a device that will remain functional well past a 2 year service contract.

_9212012121357_zps57465699.jpg

Nokia 820 resembles the offerings from HTC in my opinion...not impressed.

As an iPhone 4 user I have become accustomed to high quality hardware, and I would think that other iPhone users making the switch to WP8 will be most satisfied with the Nokia 920.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't really know about the very plastic-ee/disposable part, but that colored speaker grille is really ugly! If HTC was my only option, I would have to go for the black one because of that. Thank god there is Lumia 920 :)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the colored grilled but the 8X looks prettier in my opinion. I would have to look at them in person to have a more informed opinion.

But as of now, 8X looks great, 920 is hideous.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Good observations Emergenic. While the Nokia and HTC devices (and Samsung if you are into thin and plasticy) will all be solid phones, the L920 will be the one that floats to the top of the heap. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,
I am very impressed with the Nokia 920 and WP8 , so plan to switch when it is released later this year.

Now for the subject of this post:
I have been looking at various images and videos for both upcoming Nokia and HTC WP8 devices and keep coming to the same conclusion...

HTC WP8x/s look like play things...very plastic-ee/disposable , and that colored speaker grille just don't look right at all.

Nokia 920 looks solid, the fit and finish appear well thought out by the designers, and seems like a device that will remain functional well past a 2 year service contract.

Nokia 820 resembles the offerings from HTC in my opinion...not impressed.

Just my 2 cents...

I get what you mean, especially when having seen this pic

fld09c.jpg

But in person it might look different. I remember looking at the 900 in cyan and digging the finish.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... what if I'd started a thread entitled "Lumia 920 looks like a poor seller compared to HTC 8s?" :D

Nahhh.

I'm frankly surprised at all of the "I want quality hardware, as an iPhone user" stuff. iPhone has some of the poorest quality of any smartphone out there in terms of durability and usability. From "Antennagate" to "2 inch drop destroys your phone," I'd expect that the HTC and Lumia will both deliver higher quality than Apple's stuff.

That said, the HTC has several advantages over the Lumia, including greater confirmed carrier availability and MUCH lower weight. Nokia managed to make the 920 even fatter and heavier than its prior models.

I also like that HTC has struck out in a completely new design direction with the 8 series -- designed to complement the OS. The 920 is just a thicker, heavier retread of the yawn-inducing and rapidly aging 900/800/N9 design.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
What's with people thinking their opinions are fact? (I'm looking at you OP and Winterfang)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Geez people.

Sales may be an indicator of what most people happen to find beautiful. But it really doesn't matter.

emergenic

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... what if I'd started a thread entitled "Lumia 920 looks like a poor seller compared to HTC 8s?" :D

Nahhh.

I'm frankly surprised at all of the "I want quality hardware, as an iPhone user" stuff. iPhone has some of the poorest quality of any smartphone out there in terms of durability and usability. From "Antennagate" to "2 inch drop destroys your phone," I'd expect that the HTC and Lumia will both deliver higher quality than Apple's stuff.

That said, the HTC has several advantages over the Lumia, including greater confirmed carrier availability and MUCH lower weight. Nokia managed to make the 920 even fatter and heavier than its prior models.

I also like that HTC has struck out in a completely new design direction with the 8 series -- designed to complement the OS. The 920 is just a thicker, heavier retread of the yawn-inducing and rapidly aging 900/800/N9 design.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, so if you like the HTC design then good for you...I don't personally care for the whole thinner/lighter trend that is all the rage with cell phone manufactures including Apple with the iPhone 5.

I have big man hands, so I don't mind a little extra weight on my phone. :D

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have large hands, as well, but a phone spends MOST of its time being carried in a pocket, not in my hands.

I don't want to carry half-a-brick in my pocket, or have my smartphone bulging out like a giant polymer tumor from my jeans, Lumia 900-style.

emergenic

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
What's with people thinking their opinions are fact? (I'm looking at you OP and Winterfang)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Geez people.

Sales may be an indicator of what most people happen to find beautiful. But it really doesn't matter.

as noted earlier..."just my 2 cents"

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The copy cats usually can't get it done right. They can only see the colors but not the 'class' of colors. Same situations happen with MS Surface tablet. The color selections are even worse than HTC.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I have large hands, as well, but a phone spends MOST of its time being carried in a pocket, not in my hands.

I don't want to carry half-a-brick in my pocket
, or have my smartphone bulging out like a giant polymer tumor from my jeans, Lumia 900-style.

a brick weights 3600g a Lumia weights 180g so it's a 1/20 of a brick.

Lumia 920 is 5.7% thicker than HTC 8x (10.7mm vs 10.12mm)
Lumia 920 is 6.9% wider than HTC 8x (70.8mm vs 66.2mm)
HTC 8x is 1.6% longer than Lumia 920 (130.3mm vs 132.35mm)
Lumia 920 has 4.7% bigger screen than HTC 8x (4.5" vs 4.3")
Lumia 920 has 112293% more innovation than HTC 8x (lots vs none)

Nokia spends 1227% more in R&D than HTC (7.3 billion$* vs 550 million$*)

*2011 figures converted from Taiwanese dollars and from €uros to us$.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Nothing screams "dork!" louder than fishing a giant, heavy Lumia 900 out of one's pocket and dropping it on the table at a restaurant with an audible "thud," while the restaurant shakes afterwards.

Sorry, L900 feels too big, thick and heavy.

And if you think "a few inches here and there don't make much of a difference," I suggest you avoid hopping into the Bay Area dating pool! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss