What apps are keeping you from WP8?

hailst0rm

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi. New guy here.

A couple of weeks ago I helped out my girlfriend mum get a different phone. She had received a LG Optimus L3 and was having all sorts of problems with it. Replaced it with a Nokia Lumia 610. Despite being a low end device she couldn't be happier with it and its got me interested in moving to WP8 from my iPhone 4S.

I've drawn up a list of apps I use all the time. I was more surprised by what Windows Phone did have than it didn't.

My question to all is what apps are keeping you from moving? Here is my list:

• Mail Online
  • Subcard - available for New Zealand but not UK yet
  • Tube Deluxe - great app that makes navigating the London Tube easy
  • Waze - my favourite sat nav app. Put a lot of hours into the maps.
  • YNAB - Companion app for my personal finance software
  • Things - My current todo app. Could easily move though.
  • iReddit
  • PizzaExpress
  • Speedtest.net
  • smile.co.uk - my bank's app. Took them long enough to come out with this. Won't hold my breath for WP version
  • kobo

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd really like to have an official Nike+ app and Flipboard. Also, the Redbox app is garbage and needs a rewrite. But now that SplashID and Audible are available for WP7, I'm mostly satisfied.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I would say that with w8 sharing many apps with wp8 you will see a huge influx of new apps. Most of your list will probably make it to wp8. Banking is the biggest hole in terms of apps I think.

Bandwidth is a good speedtest app. I do wish speedtest.net had an app for wp though as its pretty much the standard I have seen on all forums and such.

thirdsun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
While I know there are alternatives to the following list, it really depends on the quality of the those alternatives - there's probably no way tell how well the transition works until I have some hands on time with an actual WP8 device.

Well, here's the List of my bread and butter iOS apps:

Instacast / No way around it, a rock-solid podcast app with flexible auto-download rules, subscription management and reliable bavkground playback is a must-have for me.

Reeder / While more often used on my iPad I also need a top-notch google reader client on my phone, that flawlessly syncs my daily reading habits and doesn't get in the way of the mentioned Reeder for iPad app

Instapaper / This is also more essential on the larger iPad but it's good to be able to dive into my instapaper reading stack while on the go

A great built-in, default audio player / music is front and center for me and I need my phone to handle lossless audio, tagging and cover data flawlessly - i am confident with WP though, the presentation of the music seems to be very slick

Kinetic GPS / I cycle a lot and while there are a lot of GPS fitness tracker, Kinetic is very gorgeous, flexible and straight to the point. I only found runtastic as alternative in the WP marketplace and I'm not sure if it will be as good

Remote / Always use a MacMini or AppleTV for music listening in my home theater. Since both devices are hooked up to a projector, which I won't power up when just listening to music, a dedicated and lightweight app to select, browse and play my library is critical.

Trello / I use Trello as my Todo app, project management and notes app. Well, I was very surprised to see that there already is Trello client on the marketplace. Didn't expect that.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, does an application stop you from getting a phone?

I've never had an application availability keep me away from a phone. I have a WP7.5, a Symbian^3 and an Android ICS. If I can't get something like Pizza Express or Speedtest that doesn't deter me from a phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I would say that with w8 sharing many apps with wp8 you will see a huge influx of new apps. Most of your list will probably make it to wp8. Banking is the biggest hole in terms of apps I think.

Bandwidth is a good speedtest app. I do wish speedtest.net had an app for wp though as its pretty much the standard I have seen on all forums and such.
Have you tried PageOnce for banking? It's the best app I've ever used for keeping track of my financials.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
That depends on how important the app is, doesn't it? There's no way I would consider switching permanently to any platform if SplashID wasn't available. I've got hundreds of records and nearly 15 years worth of data in that app. Everyone has different and specific needs.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
That depends on how important the app is, doesn't it? There's no way I would consider switching permanently to any platform if SplashID wasn't available. I've got hundreds of records and nearly 15 years worth of data in that app. Everyone has different and specific needs.

I can understand that. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of Pizza Express. :D

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
While it will not keep me from buying a Lumia 920, there are many apps i miss on WP.

Bnp Paribas (belgian banking app)
Reeder (one of the best greader apps)
Dropbox (the real app)
Tapatalk (the real app)
Instagram
Youtube (not the site i want an app)
Flipboard

Also many big known games that are available on iOS/Android

Note: i am a bit picky but i want the real apps and not workaround apps to keep my experience the same on all platforms i use.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a big user of apps, so the only one I'd really miss if it didn't come to WP8 would be HotSchedules. It's an app that I use to monitor my work schedule.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm already on WP7.5, but an app that I'd love to have is Viggle. I've got it on my Android tab and on my wife's android phone and her iPod... We've gathered quite a number of gift cards from using it (about $50 of which will go to the purchase of my Lumia 920 with another $100 coming from BestBuy themselves with our RewardZone Silver membership and the 'upgrade your phone with us' deal for $50 bucks they ran at the beginning of 2012).

kangeles

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a big user of apps, so the only one I'd really miss if it didn't come to WP8 would be HotSchedules. It's an app that I use to monitor my work schedule.

Hi, I know your post was more than a long long time ago... but FYI. Hotschedules released a v1.0 app today. And its not too shabby if I don't say so myself.

Bluffking

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Popup SMS capability. In Android you can just download an app that associates itself with the stock SMS app and you can tailor it to your needs. It makes a little window over whatever you are working on at the time and it allows you to respond, close, delete, etc., from that window and then disappears when you're done. I get way too many texts each day to be having to close whatever I am doing and go to the SMS app and respond to a message and then repeat the whole process 30 seconds later about 50 times a day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786