Its one of those things that keep me looking over the fence a bit as I want a few of those apps that reside on Android or IOS. I stay tight roping, but I love WP8.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
    09-24-2012 05:19 PM
    I think you'll see big names quite soon as they've had the SDK for a while. Smaller names such as us here at WPCentral will have to make our WP7 apps as good as possible and then switch to WP8 when we can get some time with the SDK
    09-24-2012 05:21 PM
    We can always count on wpcentral to be on top of their game. I just hope everyone else buys into WP8 as well.

09-24-2012 05:44 PM
    Its one of those things that keep me looking over the fence a bit as I want a few of those apps that reside on Android or IOS. I stay tight roping, but I love WP8.

This is the only real concern I have about ditching my iOS device, for WP8...I'm [S]sure[/S] confident that allot of popular App developers are keeping things quiet until the next big event, in Oct-Nov.

But I must admit, the Windows App Store is looking nearly as bare as Blackberry's App World...not good. :-\
    09-24-2012 05:59 PM
    I'm used to not have apps now, I just want the good official apps to be on it and the popular fads to make it also.

The game situation is also quite sad.
    jleebiker likes this.
    09-24-2012 06:04 PM
    There is so many apps that I use on my iPod that I wish I could use on my WP... I have them on my iPod but I absolutely need wi-fi... I am concerned about that too
    09-24-2012 06:36 PM
    I'm used to not have apps now, I just want the good official apps to be on it and the popular fads to make it also.

The game situation is also quite sad.
    Facebook, WPcentral and Gleek... the only apps I use on a regular basis... everything else is almost useless
    09-24-2012 06:40 PM
    I only have a handful of apps that I actually use... WPCentral, Amazing Weather, Amazon Mobile, ConnectMe (Remote Desktop), and IMDb. Beyond that, I have a couple occasional utility apps.

The truth is, though, I realize that the high profile trendy apps are important for the growth of the platform... because needed or not, people want them.

So, anyway, I expect a number of high profile apps to launch with WP8, and I expect Instagram to be among them.
    09-24-2012 06:50 PM
    I've got my daughter almost ready to commit, but she wants a better Instagram client. She's actually quite content with all the other social media stuff. Also, she loves the fact that it (Trpohy) just works and works.
    09-24-2012 06:52 PM
    I only have a handful of apps that I actually use... WPCentral, Amazing Weather, Amazon Mobile, ConnectMe (Remote Desktop), and IMDb. Beyond that, I have a couple occasional utility apps.

The truth is, though, I realize that the high profile trendy apps are important for the growth of the platform... because needed or not, people want them.

So, anyway, I expect a number of high profile apps to launch with WP8, and I expect Instagram to be among them.
    Weather network app would be welcomed all the weather apps we have are not giving much informaltions... I worked outside all summer and it would have been handy to have a reliable weather app...
    09-24-2012 07:30 PM
    I'm almost certain that Microsoft will announce some official apps with the WP8 unveil. Beyond that, we'll continue to see more apps make their way over. Personally, I want to see more apps make their way to our platform with feature parity to the leading platforms.
    Winterfang likes this.
    09-24-2012 07:54 PM
    Yeah, Someone I don't like is that some of the apps that replace features to our phones are lock some way. Either by exclusivity (nokia maps) or by hacking.
    09-24-2012 09:29 PM
    Yeah, there are just a few apps from Android that I missed having, nothing highly important, but I find myself trying to fill a void. The games for the most part aren't that great here. There are a few that are ok. The facebook/people hub thing still needs work. I want a better sports app. The ESPN for non Nokia owners kinda lacks. A better weather app. Weather channel and Amazing weather are good, but Amazing weather lacks speedy refreshes and weather channel is not GPS friendly, meaning I have to manually refresh my location. And a few other things. The end of October isn't coming soon enough. the more I think about it, the further away it seems lol.
    09-25-2012 06:45 AM
    going from WP7 to Blackberry and going back to WP8... like a dream lol
    09-25-2012 08:53 AM
    I'm reckoning that it'll be 5 years after WP8 launches before big names start hitting their way to us. Remember, we're fighting the duopoly of Apple/Android that's like 90% marketshare. And I doubt they're gonna budge any time soon. I'd be happy with even 10% marketshare by summer 2013.
    09-25-2012 08:59 AM
    10% marketshare seems to be a lot. That's how sad this is.
    09-25-2012 09:38 AM
    I'm reckoning that it'll be 5 years after WP8 launches before big names start hitting their way to us. Remember, we're fighting the duopoly of Apple/Android that's like 90% marketshare. And I doubt they're gonna budge any time soon. I'd be happy with even 10% marketshare by summer 2013.
    There is a chance that Windows 8 could tip things a bit in our favor since there is around 90% code reuse between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.

And 10% marketshare would actually be a lot by summer 2013 IMO.
    09-25-2012 09:48 AM
    There is a chance that Windows 8 could tip things a bit in our favor since there is around 90% code reuse between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.
    Ah yes, there is that little thing. Let's hope it does tip things in our favour. Not holding out hope though.
    Winterfang likes this.
    09-25-2012 09:58 AM
    That code reuse thing actually could get us on the right track quicker. But we will have to just wait and see. Windows might have been onto something coding the WP8 and W8 like they did.

I have still yet to use W8, but i hear good things about it. I am one of those folks thats always open to change. It's the reason why I adopted a windows phone. I don't like being told that I should like a popular OS just because. lol.
    09-25-2012 10:31 AM
    I know for a fact allot of BIG apps are coming to WP8 soon! as many of us here at WPcentral have contacted does big names Developers by e-mail.

I dont expect them to support WP7.8 , but I guaranty we will get a boost in Official apps!!

from day 1 we will see a improvement, BUT keep in mind that Developers have Revenue Priority , so WP might be the LAST OS on the list , but its coming!!!
    09-25-2012 10:35 AM
    Ah yes, there is that little thing. Let's hope it does tip things in our favour. Not holding out hope though.
    I think it already has. It seems like every week we hear of a new engine or cross platform toolkit that is adding Windows 8 AND Windows Phone 8 support. I can imagine it not making a huge difference with your normal apps (because people on Windows can always just sue the website) but I think it'll make a big difference when it comes to games.
    09-25-2012 10:36 AM
    Guys the first Android device (T-Mobile G1) was released in October 2008 and the original Motorola Droid was released in November 2009 (only 3 years ago) and look what happened in the Android Marketplace since then. Why do some of you think that 10% marketshare is a lot in 2 years? The iphone was making a buzz and BlackBerry was king. Android was new and didn't have a large subscriber base yet was able to rule the mobile computing marketshare in such a short period of time. I still remember the first droid does commercial back in October of 2009. This is what Windows Phone has to do with regard to marketing! Go after the competition and show what Windows Phone can do that the others can't. With a strong brand recognition of Windows coupled with Windows 8 Desktop OS and the Windows ecosystem I'm convinced that Windows Phone will dominate in a few short years. With the decline of BlackBerry and the outdated user experience of iOS, there is no reason for me to think otherwise. Windows Phone has to make a statement.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZAZ9ISZf7q8[/YT]
    Last edited by TJWINS; 09-25-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    09-25-2012 10:49 AM
    I know for a fact allot of BIG apps are coming to WP8 soon! as many of us here at WPcentral have contacted does big names Developers by e-mail.

I dont expect them to support WP7.8 , but I guaranty we will get a boost in Official apps!!

from day 1 we will see a improvement, BUT keep in mind that Developers have Revenue Priority , so WP might be the LAST OS on the list , but its coming!!!
    Which brings up another situation. Those folks that bought into the lumia900 stateside will be stuck in their contracts for another year with probably a sorry app support. What's that all about? Early WP adopters get the shaft while newcomers get the goods. UNLESS they do somewhat of a buyback program OR let folks renew their contracts if they bought a phone from April until maybe last month or something. But I don't see ATT being so gracious or any other money hungry US carrier. I think I will open another thread to discuss that. lol.
    09-25-2012 10:54 AM
    Android was new and didn't have a large subscriber base yet was able to rule the mobile computing marketshare in such a short period of time. I still remember the first droid does commercial back in October of 2009. This is what Windows Phone has to do with regard to marketing!
    In the US, the iPhone was on a single carriers. Everyone that wanted a modern smartphone was either forced to switch to AT&T to get an iPhone or stick with Verizon, Sprint, or T-Mobile and get an Android phone. This is an advantage that Windows Phone will never see.
    09-25-2012 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD