So, what happens to us WP7 members that just signed contracts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the Optimus 7 was never made with WP7.5 in mind.

The back of the box boldly proclaim "1500 GREAT BATTERY LIFE!" and it had an amazing battery in Nodo. I could surf the web for hours and on normal casual use I could 2 whole days.

On Mango I can surf for 2 hours and the phone goes dead.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't see how a app on a HTC 8S will out perform a app a Titan 2, Focus 2, or Lumia 900.

It surely depends on the app. A single threaded app should in theory run faster on the WP7 hardware, than an 8S.

But, if an app is written to run multi-threaded, then it should be better on the 8S.

Lets also not forget, thats just thinking about an app as a single entity. The OS also plays a big part in it. If theres nothing running, its very easy, but once you start adding all sorts of background activities like Skype, facebook, etc, then that will start effecting things more.

Also, lets not forget, the processor speed is only an indicator of speed. The iPhone 5 is lightning fast, yet "only" has a 1.3mhz dual core.

And lastly, i was under the impression Microsoft force certain chipsets on the OEMs because they've done an awful lot of the integration and drivers themselves, so the OEMs only have limited input into the drivers. After 2 years of WP7, i'm sure they've learn't a lot of lessons, and you'd hope they would have time to do a better job of the optimisation.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Surely there were hundreds of these threads all over the internet in July when the whole no upgrade thing came out.

Has there been some new information? If not, whats the point in this thread? its surely just a repeat of many other threads.

Exactly!!!!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks. I spoke about this on another thread and I am sure it has been spoken about before. Many people bought WP devices around April with the new release of the Lumia 900. And some others also bought other devices as well. Some of us had the belief that we would probably be getting WP8. Well, new hit us like a brick a while back that we aren't getting WP8, but we are getting an upgrade of 7.8.

No one knows how app support for 7.8 will be, but I'm assuming it wont be half as great as support for WP8. SO, are us WP7 members left to chalk it up for another year on contract or do we break contracts with that ugly price and then buy a new WP8 device on the carrier of our choosing? Am I looking at this in a wrong light? I just feel like unless I pay alot of money, I'm stuck in my contract with a lowly supported phone for a year.

Is someone flipping a switch and turning off your phone next month or magically turning it into an old flip phone? Supposedly the device met your needs and it probably still does. It also will continue to be supported and will receive a major OS upgrade. You can either accept the fact that you can still use a quality device through the end of your contract or drop a lot of money to play the conspicuous consumption game. Either way, a good device on one day does not become lowly the next unless one feels the perpetual need to have the latest a greatest. I personally leave the "next big thing" approach to Apple and Samsung....

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
No they didn't give any reason why. They just said due to hardware reason. Some would like to know what part of the new hardware is the reason. And you say because of the phones BIOS? Could you post a like to MS stating that. That would clear up the confusion. Something coming directly from MS would be great, so it won't be considered internet hearsay.

Microsoft's beefing up security with Windows Phone 8 may make custom ROMs a thing of the past | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

The security chip isn't present in the current devices but appears to be required for the phone to boot the OS. MS has stated they are not going to put WP8 on 7.5 devices so that means it would have to be hacked. It doesn't sound to me like that will be possible to even make WP7.5 devices run WP8 without some sort of effort on MS's part and they aren't doing that.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Is someone flipping a switch and turning off your phone next month or magically turning it into an old flip phone? Supposedly the device met your needs and it probably still does. It also will continue to be supported and will receive a major OS upgrade. You can either accept the fact that you can still use a quality device through the end of your contract or drop a lot of money to play the conspicuous consumption game. Either way, a good device on one day does not become lowly the next unless one feels the perpetual need to have the latest a greatest. I personally leave the "next big thing" approach to Apple and Samsung....

Or maybe just the desire to run apps that currently aren't even on WP7.5 but may come out on WP8 because of the native code advantage.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that link.
Microsoft's beefing up security with Windows Phone 8 may make custom ROMs a thing of the past | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

The security chip isn't present in the current devices but appears to be required for the phone to boot the OS. MS has stated they are not going to put WP8 on 7.5 devices so that means it would have to be hacked. It doesn't sound to me like that will be possible to even make WP7.5 devices run WP8 without some sort of effort on MS's part and they aren't doing that.

tayfelix

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the Optimus 7 was never made with WP7.5 in mind.

The back of the box boldly proclaim "1500 GREAT BATTERY LIFE!" and it had an amazing battery in Nodo. I could surf the web for hours and on normal casual use I could 2 whole days.

On Mango I can surf for 2 hours and the phone goes dead.

Do u know what is a battery? Do you know that battery will discharge faster after charging hundred of times ? Dude research on it before posting . I think you SRSLY need your brain fix . And SRSLY UR optimus 7 is the 1ST GEN devices OFC it will have shorter battery life . Mango need more resources .

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Do u know what is a battery? Do you know that battery will discharge faster after charging hundred of times ? Dude research on it before posting . I think you SRSLY need your brain fix . And SRSLY UR optimus 7 is the 1ST GEN devices OFC it will have shorter battery life . Mango need more resources .

if he does have one lol. high five man. But of course he will. but doesn't know about the problem

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hold onto the Lumia. The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

I bought into the whole concept of Android's open ecosystem and how with the right tools you can get your device to do what you want it to do. Unless you purchase a device that supports this theory and have a phone on a carrier that doesn't do much to discourage the practice its fine. However, I moved to the One X for the fact I'm a Google Apps person and the camera on blew away the Lumia's.

I can't root my device - thanks AT&T - and the phone stutters and lags while my Lumia didn't experience any of that. Sure, Jellybean might fix some of these issues once it is deployed sometime in the next 6 months but that's what I get for buying a skinned device that cannot be unlocked in its current state.

I'm tempted to go back to the Lumia. It's nuts. I only have a couple of days left and it is between the Lumia 900 and Galaxy S 3.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
There's a barter forum here. I'd buy that one x if you wanted to sell it.
Hold onto the Lumia. The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

I bought into the whole concept of Android's open ecosystem and how with the right tools you can get your device to do what you want it to do. Unless you purchase a device that supports this theory and have a phone on a carrier that doesn't do much to discourage the practice its fine. However, I moved to the One X for the fact I'm a Google Apps person and the camera on blew away the Lumia's.

I can't root my device - thanks AT&T - and the phone stutters and lags while my Lumia didn't experience any of that. Sure, Jellybean might fix some of these issues once it is deployed sometime in the next 6 months but that's what I get for buying a skinned device that cannot be unlocked in its current state.

I'm tempted to go back to the Lumia. It's nuts. I only have a couple of days left and it is between the Lumia 900 and Galaxy S 3.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, a lot of the buyers of the 900 State-side will be asking the OP's question.

It was released in April and declared "EOL" from an OS perspective barely 60 days later, after blanketing the airwaves with a campaign stating that the "smartphone beta test is over."

Perhaps it's good that so few were sold, because 300,000 annoyed users is better than millions of annoyed users...

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, a lot of the buyers of the 900 State-side will be asking the OP's question.

It was released in April and declared "EOL" from an OS perspective barely 60 days later, after blanketing the airwaves with a campaign stating that the "smartphone beta test is over."

Perhaps it's good that so few were sold, because 300,000 annoyed users is better than millions of annoyed users...

Pretty much.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I wanna know what happens to me when, after six months or so after purchasing my Lumia 920, Nokia release something better. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs