So, what happens to us WP7 members that just signed contracts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks. I spoke about this on another thread and I am sure it has been spoken about before. Many people bought WP devices around April with the new release of the Lumia 900. And some others also bought other devices as well. Some of us had the belief that we would probably be getting WP8. Well, new hit us like a brick a while back that we aren't getting WP8, but we are getting an upgrade of 7.8.

No one knows how app support for 7.8 will be, but I'm assuming it wont be half as great as support for WP8. SO, are us WP7 members left to chalk it up for another year on contract or do we break contracts with that ugly price and then buy a new WP8 device on the carrier of our choosing? Am I looking at this in a wrong light? I just feel like unless I pay alot of money, I'm stuck in my contract with a lowly supported phone for a year.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not a big deal to me.

I essentially got my L900 free after the $99 rebate from Nokia.

I'll keep it and see what the 7.8 update provides. I'm currently happy with the device, so I don't see any need to get something else right now.

If there ends up being some new app or feature that is only available for WP8, I'll have money saved up to pay full retail for a new device, and I won't need to break my contract or sign a new contract.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
There isn't really much to say other than wait and see. There is a chance that there could be some sort of early upgrade at AT&T, there is a chance that app developers could continue to target WP7 (or target both). We'll have to see how things work out.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Going into the purchase of the L 900 there were no guarantees that WP8 would be in the future for the 900 so if you bought it on the belief that it would be upgraded you're disappointed like me, but I never had that assumption. I was hopeful, but knew it was not a lead pipe cinch. Like other posters I am saving up my money to buy off contract or wait until I have the money saved up. In the meaantime my Lumia works well and does what I need and Nokia has promised to con tinue to develop 7.8 and I will take that as far as I can.

GB330033

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I planned to get a new WP8 device from the get-go, even when I was assuming that the 900 would get WP8. I'm going to be using an upgrade from another family member to get a WP8. They have an iPhone 4, and are perfectly happy with it and have no desire to upgrade to a 4S or 5.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine that you will be stuck with your current phone unless you pay your early termination fee to break your contract or just pay full retail for a new one. Unfortunately, that's the way it goes with technology and you're never guaranteed support for the duration of your contract. It does seem as though Nokia will be providing decent updates to their phones but who's to say what Samsung and HTC will do for their devices.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm keeping my lumia 900 until next year. I'm skipping the 920 and getting the next lumia phone after that. Its a hard pill to swallow, but id rather they advance the OS and phones, than appease older phones users.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
There is another way. Find a friend who has their own line. Tell them you can save them money. Add a line to your plan. Pay the $199 (assuming it's that) get the new phone and give them your 900 or whatever 6 month old phone you have.

You can even charge them for your phone, say $99.

You get the new latest and greatest and they save money every month.

It's a win win!

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
For me the mobile was free when I got my contract (there was a war between 3 and tele 2). And lumia 920 is using the micro sim. So I can continue using the same contract

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It's not a big deal to me.

I essentially got my L900 free after the $99 rebate from Nokia.

I'll keep it and see what the 7.8 update provides. I'm currently happy with the device, so I don't see any need to get something else right now.

If there ends up being some new app or feature that is only available for WP8, I'll have money saved up to pay full retail for a new device, and I won't need to break my contract or sign a new contract.

This sums up how I feel precisely. :cool:

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I thought we were done with this topic back during the summer. My 2 cents worth...like laura I received the $100 rebate from Nokia plus I received a $100 credit for accessorities when I got my Lumia. I'm loving this phone and I have to plans on getting a new phone for atlease a year. It does what I want it to do and I haven't been wanting for apps (except for one from my credit union). I have two lines on my family plan that can be upgraded so I could get a WP8 device if I wanted, it really is a choice for me.

iSeeiSheep

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Can't speak for anyone else but AT&T business accounts seem much better as it relates to spoiling the customer rotten.

My Lumia was defective when I bought it. Some issue with the speech causes voice search to launch without user interaction.

To make a long story short AT&T offered me a Samsung Galaxy Note for a replacement. I had the rep record the offer and said I wanted a WP.

Next month I am playing my defective phone Ace Card... Wish me Luck!

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
honestly... selling devices on ebay makes a mint due to lots of areas in the world with limited mobile device options.

I worked as tier 2 on blackberry tech and had probably 15 blackberries and sold most of them for a good chunk. sold a bold 9900 last month for $475. (still got 2 bold 9900's and a couple curves and a torch ill probably sell off).

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
should of done your research. For me, i didnt expect getting wp8 os on my samsung focus s and then 900, from The start. I purchased the phone with that assumption So it doesn't bother me.

People should do their research before buying expensive stuff

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
There is another way. Find a friend who has their own line. Tell them you can save them money. Add a line to your plan. Pay the $199 (assuming it's that) get the new phone and give them your 900 or whatever 6 month old phone you have.

You can even charge them for your phone, say $99.

You get the new latest and greatest and they save money every month.

It's a win win!

But then aren't you paying for two lines with data and all that?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Free upgrade to WP7.8 + continued feature and app updates from Nokia should keep you happy until you're ready to upgrade to the next generation.

I wouldn't sweat it... the 900's are awesome as-is. :)

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
should of done your research. For me, i didnt expect getting wp8 os on my samsung focus s and then 900, from The start. I purchased the phone with that assumption So it doesn't bother me.

People should do their research before buying expensive stuff

Especially when you have articles like this:
From the Forums: Windows Phone 7's upgrade to WP8 Apollo is now unclear | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews
or this:
Apollo update coming to all Windows Phones? According to one Microsoft Evangelist, yes | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

And the forums weren't much better at clearing that up:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-discussion/187134-2.htm
http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-900/188374.htm

Look first off most people aren't going to spend 100 hours a week to research a cell phone purchase. But lets give them the benefit of the doubt and say they did. What would they do? Go to the popular sites that cover that technology and read the articles right? Lets say they are smarter and know they don't know everything and ask int he forums where they can get all sorts of opinions. That certainly didn't help either.

So to tell people they should just do their research is a load when the only information out there was conflicting. Some sounded hopeful other days sounded skeptical.

Its easy in hindsight to see where it was going but at the time we had no crystal ball.

As for the topic I think not much is going to happen you have a Lumia 900 and whatever your contract and upgrade-ability statuses are; are what they are some people have quick upgrade cycles other do not. I do not think MS will actually do anything beyond the 7.8 update for those users.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something but for me it's always been "upgrade your phone and sign a two year contract". You use that phone until your next upgrade or longer if you really like it. What happened to the idea that when you upgrade you get the best that's out there and then use it until your next upgrade and get whatever the next best thing is then? Electronics are always evolving and changing, it's a moving target. Today's L920 will be old news by this time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)