So, what happens to us WP7 members that just signed contracts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfiz

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
You're only locked to the contract, nothing keeping you from buying a new phone and using it for your current line.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I change phones like every 6 to 7 months [I use eBay, no money for $600 phone]. Not that I have to have the latest and greatest, but I like moving around to try different phones/OSs. But a lot of people are stuck inbetween upgrades. So maybe this person had a upgrade available a month an a half ago, and used it on the Lumia 900. So he/she thinks they are good to go for two years. Now we know that the Lumia 900 won't be getting WP8 and native apps developed for WP8 won't work on older hardware. So now he's in between a rock and a hard place. The phone was released this year, yet won't receive a update that being released in the same year.
Maybe I'm missing something but for me it's always been "upgrade your phone and sign a two year contract". You use that phone until your next upgrade or longer if you really like it. What happened to the idea that when you upgrade you get the best that's out there and then use it until your next upgrade and get whatever the next best thing is then? Electronics are always evolving and changing, it's a moving target. Today's L920 will be old news by this time next year.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I understand the need to dump wp7 and move on to wp8 in the microsoft world, but if apple can put ios4 on their 3g-4 phones I think MS should have found a way to neuter WP8 so all could have it. Just because its written for dual core does not mean it would not work on single core. It will be slower yes but should not be as bad as my 3g with 4.1xxx on it. That was just a original iphone with 3g cell. So putting an OS that was 2 generations newer on it was sketchy. More so since it was so weak hardware wise. My Titan should be able to run WP8 without much problem as I suspect some Single core variants of WP will come out.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you look at the HTC 8S specs, I'm really wondering what's the real deal. It has a dual core processor [1Ghz DC], but other than that, I don't see anything mind blowing.

HTC Windows Phone 8S specs
I understand the need to dump wp7 and move on to wp8 in the microsoft world, but if apple can put ios4 on their 3g-4 phones I think MS should have found a way to neuter WP8 so all could have it. Just because its written for dual core does not mean it would not work on single core. It will be slower yes but should not be as bad as my 3g with 4.1xxx on it. That was just a original iphone with 3g cell. So putting an OS that was 2 generations newer on it was sketchy. More so since it was so weak hardware wise. My Titan should be able to run WP8 without much problem as I suspect some Single core variants of WP will come out.

Apple was able to put iOS5 on iPhone 4S
iPhone 4
iPhone 3GS.

iOS6 is supporting iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 4 [minus some features]

I'm sure MS will tell what's the deal with WP8 on "old" hardware soon enough.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I guess if you feel this pressed about getting the wp8 experience, practice a little patience and in a couple of months buy you a low end one.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
If they sell like wp7 phones, the high end ones will be reduced pretty quickly.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Surely there were hundreds of these threads all over the internet in July when the whole no upgrade thing came out.

Has there been some new information? If not, whats the point in this thread? its surely just a repeat of many other threads.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I will again say that I hope Nokia does the right thing and do a trade-in program of some sort. Trade in your L900, get a 820 free or a 920 with a top up of, say, $199.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
If you look at the HTC 8S specs, I'm really wondering what's the real deal. It has a dual core processor [1Ghz DC], but other than that, I don't see anything mind blowing.

HTC Windows Phone 8S specs

Apple was able to put iOS5 on iPhone 4S
iPhone 4
iPhone 3GS.

iOS6 is supporting iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 4 [minus some features]

I'm sure MS will tell what's the deal with WP8 on "old" hardware soon enough.

They already did. Its not supported and not going to happen instead they get 7.8 and some Nokia apps thrown their way. I don't think there will be any ports of WP8 to WP7 devices because of the way the phone BIOS's are being changed it doesn't sound like any unauthorized images can go on your phone.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think they'll sell better, well the Nokia 920 will, it have a buzz around the the internet's, so does the HTC 8x. But who knows
If they sell like wp7 phones, the high end ones will be reduced pretty quickly.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No they didn't give any reason why. They just said due to hardware reason. Some would like to know what part of the new hardware is the reason. And you say because of the phones BIOS? Could you post a like to MS stating that. That would clear up the confusion. Something coming directly from MS would be great, so it won't be considered internet hearsay.
They already did. Its not supported and not going to happen instead they get 7.8 and some Nokia apps thrown their way. I don't think there will be any ports of WP8 to WP7 devices because of the way the phone BIOS's are being changed it doesn't sound like any unauthorized images can go on your phone.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
No they didn't give any reason why. They just said due to hardware reason. Some would like to know what part of the new hardware is the reason. And you say because of the phones BIOS? Could you post a like to MS stating that. That would clear up the confusion. Something coming directly from MS would be great, so it won't be considered internet hearsay.
I honestly think MS will not go into further explanations. Maybe you'll have to reach out to some insiders for the full scoop.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm just defending the OP. I don't need WP8, as far as I know. As long as i get bug fixes and what not, .im good. But people telling the OP to "just go buy a new phone" absurd.
I honestly think MS will not go into further explanations. Maybe you'll have to reach out to some insiders for the full scoop.
I would like to know what was the change that cause Gen 2 devices to be incompatible. Just for my technical curiosity.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know what was the change that cause Gen 2 devices to be incompatible. Just for my technical curiosity.

I would be supprised if there was something physical that couldn't be overcome with software.

If there is, it'll be something to do with the new security model in the new phones, and Microsoft are blatantly not going to go telling people the exact details of the security changes on the phone.

Personally, i'd wager its a performance issue. Its blatantly obvious an OS designed for a multi-core setup is going to have performance issues on a single core system, just like when they started putting later iOS versions on the earlier 3G phones. They worked, but not really a user experience you'd want to boast about.

Microsoft have to work out the engineering effort for themselves to make WP8 performant on WP7 devices, but also the extra effort for developers. Its hard enough to get developers to write apps for WP7. When WP8 comes along, will developers actually bother to optimise their apps for WP7? i doubt it.

The moaning about WP7 forward compatibility is slowing down as people get bored of it. If WP7 devices move to WP8, you will have performance moaning constantly with every big app for years.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I honestly believe you will be better of with Gingerbread than WP7. My battery life is so abysmal that I'm always on Battery saver mode, so my tiles never update. Making the point of the OS moot.

It had such great battery life before :'(

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I had ICS on a GS2, and I HAD to carry a spare battery. It's not even a option, I think it should have been sold with a spare. I have two friends who upgraded to a Samsung Infuse 4G and a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and they asked me what was the first thing to do. I told them to go to eBay and find a spare battery. Days later they said I was exactly right.

I don't know what type of phone you currently use, by my Nokia Lumia is a clear winner, as far as battery life is concerned.
I honestly believe you will be better of with Gingerbread than WP7. My battery life is so abysmal that I'm always on Battery saver mode, so my tiles never update. Making the point of the OS moot.

Last edited:

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

Assuming you are still on your Optimus 7, I will say, time to change a new phone. WP7 on my L900 is good.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If it's something to do with security, then say it.

It has veen shown that a single core 1.4ghz - 1.6ghz processor can perform just as well as a dual core 1ghz processor.

If that's the case, so be it.

I don't see that as an issue. Don't see how a app on a HTC 8S will out perform a app a Titan 2, Focus 2, or Lumia 900.

Again, I don't care for my phone, I already knew I was only getting WP7.8. I was speaking in general terms. And if MS doesn't let anyone know what the reason are, so be it. I'm just curious.
I would be supprised if there was something physical that couldn't be overcome with software.

If there is, it'll be something to do with the new security model in the new phones, and Microsoft are blatantly not going to go telling people the exact details of the security changes on the phone.

Personally, i'd wager its a performance issue. Its blatantly obvious an OS designed for a multi-core setup is going to have performance issues on a single core system, just like when they started putting later iOS versions on the earlier 3G phones. They worked, but not really a user experience you'd want to boast about.

Microsoft have to work out the engineering effort for themselves to make WP8 performant on WP7 devices, but also the extra effort for developers. Its hard enough to get developers to write apps for WP7. When WP8 comes along, will developers actually bother to optimise their apps for WP7? i doubt it.

The moaning about WP7 forward compatibility is slowing down as people get bored of it. If WP7 devices move to WP8, you will have performance moaning constantly with every big app for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster