WP8 Advertising Concepts

iSeeiSheep

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I think from a feature standpoint Microsoft is in a good position to launch an WP versus iPhone ad war.

Apple would be played by a person that morphs into a sheep and goes bahhh.

The transform from human to sheep would occur as the well dressed Metro Guy explains WP8 features.

Are you a WP or a Sheep?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think back to the Mac vs. PC ads during the Vista years, and I have to argue against this strategy. They only resulted in a 2-3% growth in Mac sales AND let's face it... did you ever like Justin Long's character? Of course not, because he was a smug ***hole.

No, if they're going on a campaign to copy ad styles, they should copy the iPhone "here's a feature and how to use it" idea. Those get people to say, "why is it so hard to do on my phone?" And the f-ing jingles they use stick in people's heads.

I want something akin to the IE9 ads, actually. It's very well done and the music is cool without being obnoxious.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
have a guerilla ad campaign during black friday lines. make sure its somewhere frigidly cold. have nokia folks walk around best buy lines in the dead of night with others lined up for the deals. Ask if they can use their phones, without taking their gloves off.

"Oh wait? You can't..." Here, try this one...

Now, take a picture with your phone, take one with this one. Big difference huh?

Essentially the Samsung ads making fun of the iFolks in line, but 'real.'

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
have a guerilla ad campaign during black friday lines. make sure its somewhere frigidly cold. have nokia folks walk around best buy lines in the dead of night with others lined up for the deals. Ask if they can use their phones, without taking their gloves off.

"Oh wait? You can't..." Here, try this one...

Now, take a picture with your phone, take one with this one. Big difference huh?

Essentially the Samsung ads making fun of the iFolks in line, but 'real.'

Actually you are on to something. Have people doing their holiday shopping checking stuff off on their Windows Phone as they pack things into the car and then have the live tiles showing like where to go to next or how many things they have left. And just do that for like a few different people and wrap it all up with Santa using a WP too. Because its Christmas and all that.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't even bother attacking I rather go straight to the point.

I would have ads that show the beauty of Windows Phone and that beauty is experience.

I would show things like how a WP packs the best
1. Camera experience
2. GPS experience
3. MP3, gaming multimedia experience
4. Social experience

Just basically make an ad that shows how all these extra devices that we needed back in the day is so simple and so easy to use on a Windows Phone.

Windows Phone is built upon experience not features.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
WP8 should showcase WP's style compared to the drab phones others use and showcase it as a hip choice.

Have someone trying to show off his new generic phone and failing to do something well (social experience, GPS, camera functions, games), while the WP individual then whips out his new colourful 8X/Lumia 920 and saves the day with the features of WP8. When the other guy asks, 'What's this phone you are using?' 'Oh, it's Windows Phone 8, my choice.'

Slogan, 'WP8, my choice.'

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see a series of commercials - each one being device specific (or branch of the ecosystem). The centre would be Windows Phone or Surface or Windows 8 pc - but show off the ecosystem in each commercial. How seamless the transition is between sharing pictures (or any other media) from the phone to the tablet to Xbox using skydrive.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Two ads:
1) Business. A business guy or woman has a coffee in the morning while at his Windows 8 PC. He's going over a power point presentation for a meeting in Berlin. While in the airport he changes it a bit on his WP8 using Office (right on his phone!). He lands in Berlin and in the cab he gets a message on his phone calendar (live tiles) " Meeting pushed back 15 minutes". He gets to the boardroom and launches his presentation on his Surface Pro to the satisfied looks of his audience.

2) Consumer. A kid takes a video of something cool using his WP8 uploads it Facebook on the spot. Shows the video later to other friends on his Surface RT. Goes home and streams it for his family on his Xbox.

Windows Ecosystem: Your life. Your rules.

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**

Last edited:

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see the ads be aspirational. The IE9 ads are a good example of that. The Windows 7 "family room" ads are a example on how not to advertise.

I'd also like to see them stress the durability of the solid polycarbonate bodies. Done in the right way the viewer should connect the dots and make the comparison to the iPhone, without having to state it explicitly.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah a group of ads for different users one for business folks showing how it links with SharePoint and Office, one with Xbox showing how games all tie together and one for the average person showing how easy it is to get what you need with the live tiles

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes