Windows 8 Microsoft Account Sharing Speculation

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Greetings. If you're like me, you are wasting a lot of your day searching and hoping for some Windows Phone 8 news. Since we don't know all the little details yet, I'm just gonna throw something out here to talk about.

I've yet to use a Windows Phone 7.x device as my daily driver. I did make my wife get a Trophy a while ago and I do have a Focus test device that I can monkey around with, but I'm by no means a WP7 expert.

My question is around sharing Microsoft/Live/Hotmail/Outlook accounts. Before I got my wife the Trophy, my XBox Live/Zune Pass account was my personal Live email address. Since I wanted her to have music on her phone, I migrated my XBox/Zune email to a shared family email address. This got her music on her phone, but it also put my Live ID on her phone as well. (She doesn't play games so its no biggie)

When I get my WP8 device on launch day I'm trying to figure out what my options will be. My dream is you can add my personal Microsoft account as the main account but add the Zune Pass as a second account. Or some type of way you can link a Zune Pass account and even an XBox Live account to another Microsoft ID so we could both use our personal IDs on each phone but both have Music and only myself have my XBox Live.

Obviously we don't know anything yet, but I hope they make it easier to share that stuff.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure MS will address this this year or next but I do believe its going to be a problem.

For example, in my house hold (I know this is gonna make me look bad but I am pragmatic ) we have 5 iPads and 2 iPhones, 2 iPod Touches, and 2 apple TVs, when one of us buys an app on 1 iPad the other ipads also gets access to that iPad. This way we don't have to buy Angry Birds 5 times!

I am not sure how this will be possible with a household that has 2 or more WP8 phones.

I think the problem is that the MS Account ID is coupled with 1 WP7/8 phone so its like a 1-to-1 relationship and this forces families to buy 'Angry Birds' X number of times when on the apple ecosystem

My purchasing ID should be different than my phones primary ID OR the 'me' account should be completely different than the ID used for purchasing. Right now I think they are tied at the hip

disclaimer: I mentioned above about the number of Apple products in my household and its not done out of fanboism or such. I actually hate going to the apple store but I have to be reasonable in that for our family 'some' of their products work for our solution. I have had several dedicated Windows Media Center devices, we even have 2 xboxes in our house, had 3 Zunes (2x 30gb, 80gb ) Even have a dedicated Windows Home Server 2011! I am a MSDN subscriber! But for Media...MS hasn't got the complete integrated solution...yet.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
******!!!!!!!!! :)

Yeah, I think it is going to be a problem. Even on Windows 8, I can't be signed in with my personal Microsoft ID and listen to my Zune Pass unless I log out and back in as the other account. (At least not that I have found yet.)

ryuh3d

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
******!!!!!!!!! :)

Yeah, I think it is going to be a problem. Even on Windows 8, I can't be signed in with my personal Microsoft ID and listen to my Zune Pass unless I log out and back in as the other account. (At least not that I have found yet.)

In Windows 8 you can load the music app, hit the setting charm, log out of the music app and sign back in with your Zune Pass account.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I am very interested in this as well. In Windows 8, you can actually sign in with a different account in the store and install apps into a different user account. Something like that would be great in WP8. Does anybody know if that is the case for the WP8 store or Xbox Music on WP8?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Gonna bump this one up as people are now starting to get devices. Any WP8 users run into this yet? Can you add your personal Live ID to the main phone then add a second Live ID that your music pass is assigned too?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos