windows phone 8 pricing... how much is too much?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
how much would you be willing to pay for a windows 8 phone? or surface for that matter?
initially there was a lot of speculation suggesting that windows 8 phones would be very competitive, along with the surface. now there is a lot of rumors circulating about pricing and they seem absurd!

the galaxy s3 is $549, htc one x is $499, iphone which is usually the most expensive is $649. if nokia is going to charge $899 for a phone, i am definately going to pass... in fact it will upset me to the point of never buying one. at this point in the game , they cant expect to convince people to buy one of their phones over competitors if they are going to charge nearly double. people wont see the value in that. no cell phone should cost nearly $1000 dollars after tax. same thing goes for the surface, they need to come in with a lower price point to build marketshare. until they have established that, no one will buy it... now i know those are off contract, but thats the way some of us have to buy, like myself. IMO, nokia is going to approach this all wrong with those price points... i sincerely hope for their sake, thats these prices are just rumors. im already getting aggravated:mad: with the horrible marketing. too much confusion:confused:, and not enough information:mad:. too many changes at the last minute. no more, zune, no more metro, no more xbox live... make up your mind already! you have a wonderful product!!! market it correctly! thus far its been sloppy, at least thats my thoughts.

so what do you think? what are these next phones worth? what would you pay?:straight:

ps. the lenove tablet is also being priced at $799, LMAO... good luck getting people to pay $800 bucks for a lenove windows 8 tablet over an ipad. regardless of how much more functional it is... not many people will be using tablets as a PC replacement... and i really want a surface, but it better be competitive, or there is along road ahead...

Last edited:

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I am really having the hardest time waiting for windows phone 8. I Am! considering getting the galaxy nexus if the lumia 820 is more expensive than $350. The speculated $600 for an unlocked 820 is extreme overkill. i want so badly to get rid of my samsung focus :(

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Surface Pro and the Lenovo you speak of are full blown computers. They're basically touch sensitive Ultrabooks.

People have been paying $1000 for laptops and ultrabooks.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how it'll work price wise here in the states but, if the subsidized price of a 920 is more than a 32gb iPhone 5 I'll just be getting one of those.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
If the ratio between EU and US prices is the same as the iPhone's, a (32GB) Lumia 920 should cost around $550 / $600 unsubsidized.

EU prices and mysterious pre-orders from eBay and shady websites really aren't an indication of anything.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a budget of $1500 for my holiday expenditures for any combination of Lumia 920, Surface RT, and Xbox 360 + Kinect (with priorities in that order). I expect that the realistic pricing in the US will be $550 (out of contract), $500, and $300 respectively, so with a little flex allowed, I should be OK.

If I had to compromise, I'd skip the Xbox for now.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The only reason they are being rumored that high is because they know the die hards will pay a nose bleed for it just like the isheep pay a nose bleed on opening day. Once the initial rush is over everything will level out. Just don't buy it on day one and you will be fine. I don't expect the 920 to cost more than $599 once the dust settles.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping for a maximum of $600 full retail for the 920. I still haven't decided if I'll pay the unsubsidized price or just add an extra line to my account and pay the ETF on my current line to get the discounted price. I'm not terribly worried about losing my current phone number and if the 920 turns out to be as awesome as it looks, I think I'd be okay with waiting 20 months for an upgrade as opposed to 10 months if I were to pay full retail.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm hoping for a maximum of $600 full retail for the 920. I still haven't decided if I'll pay the unsubsidized price or just add an extra line to my account and pay the ETF on my current line to get the discounted price. I'm not terribly worried about losing my current phone number and if the 920 turns out to be as awesome as it looks, I think I'd be okay with waiting 20 months for an upgrade as opposed to 10 months if I were to pay full retail.

It may start out a bit higher, but it won't last long at a higher price. Make sure you check pricing at NewEgg, eBay, Amazon, MobileCityOnline...etc...just not AT&T.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone handsets will have to be priced significantly lower, out of the gate, to get any attention at all. A relatively unknown HTC 8X or Lumia 920 at the same price (or more) than the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S III will get completely ignored by the average user.

They'll attract a lot of attention (and sales) if the prices are much lower, however. Say, $49 for either on contract (versus $150 to $400 for the Samsung and Apple devices).

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It may start out a bit higher, but it won't last long at a higher price. Make sure you check pricing at NewEgg, eBay, Amazon, MobileCityOnline...etc...just not AT&T.

Well, in my case, I'm hoping that Verizon gets it at the same time as AT&T. While I do feel like the HTC 8X is a nice device, I really have my heart set on the Nokia.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone handsets will have to be priced significantly lower, out of the gate, to get any attention at all. A relatively unknown HTC 8X or Lumia 920 at the same price (or more) than the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S III will get completely ignored by the average user.

They'll attract a lot of attention (and sales) if the prices are much lower, however. Say, $49 for either on contract (versus $150 to $400 for the Samsung and Apple devices).

I absolutely disagree. It might work with HTC or Samsung, but definitely not with the 920. It's a premium device and without a price on par with, say, an equivalent iPhone, it will never get this status among the mainstream. Microsoft OEMs have been offering cheap devices for years and look what it has done to the company's image. Look how it's transforming Android's image as we speak.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm on odds at this one.

I don't want Windows Phone to be associated with cheap devices, like that Mango wave. But I also don't find it fair to sell Windows Phone at a premium price when it's so behind its competitors.

I just want WP8 to be better.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The highest OFFICIAL price for the 920 is 649 Euros. If you are going by the unofficial, unauthorized ebay price of $899 and basing your assumptions on that then you are just giving yourself heart palpitations for nothing. And it will also be prudent to wait until the official price has been announced for your region and carrier before going off on an "doomed to fail, wont sell any at that price" rant.

When the 900 first released on at&t the price was very competitive, on contract and off. I know its the in thing to bash Nokia (our resident bashers are already in attendance) but I don't see why so many are rushing to condemn Nokia for unofficial pricing when they have shown they can be competitive and pricing has not been announced for all markets.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 5 64GB version off contract is roughly $1,100+. Now, with that in mind I don't think anyone is crazy enough to buy it off contract but I guarantee people will.

On contract, I would definitely spend $300-400 given the phone and the carrier. If I'm going to buy off contract, I'm going to buy an off contract phone that is $300.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Surface Pro and the Lenovo you speak of are full blown computers. They're basically touch sensitive Ultrabooks.

People have been paying $1000 for laptops and ultrabooks.

i understand, but truly how many peiople would use a tablet for this? and even then, there is a lot less hardware so it shouldnt cost as much as an ultra book... look at ipad sales, and it is an over sized ipod?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
If the ratio between EU and US prices is the same as the iPhone's, a (32GB) Lumia 920 should cost around $550 / $600 unsubsidized.

EU prices and mysterious pre-orders from eBay and shady websites really aren't an indication of anything.

good point, i hope this is true!

i have never been more excited about a new phone than i have about this one... and all this rumors are driving me batty

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb