Everything I wanted added to WP7 is in WP8 by the looks of the SDK, except an orientation lock. I am sure I read there was going to be one but its not present :(

Does anyone have any information on this?
    09-30-2012 11:50 AM
    Apps are certainly able to add the option if they prefer, but yeah, I've not seen any sign of it at the OS level. Bummer... I personally HATE landscape mode except for picture review and video playback.

That said, we still haven't seen everything yet, so who knows.
    nizzon likes this.
    09-30-2012 12:02 PM
    I will love an orientation lock for sure, with exceptions by the apps.

So, a hope.
    09-30-2012 12:06 PM
    How can they overlook such a simple feature?
    nizzon likes this.
    09-30-2012 12:20 PM
    Because they can especially if they dont see the need for it!
    09-30-2012 06:33 PM
    How can they overlook such a simple feature?
    Unfortunately, they probably do "market research" and find that ordinary people don't know what orientation lock is, so decide it's not necessary.
    09-30-2012 09:40 PM
    Unfortunately, they probably do "market research" and find that ordinary people don't know what orientation lock is, so decide it's not necessary.
    LOL, thats probably true.
    10-01-2012 05:07 AM
    Because they can especially if they dont see the need for it!
    they can do as they please, any company can...but if the result is 1-2% marketshare...then you should probably start to listen or else there is no return on your investment.
    aubreyq likes this.
    10-01-2012 05:09 AM
    Well I have played with a few Windows 8 tablets and such and they see a need for it on that medium and a phone is something that is smaller and more prone to movement so why not the phone OS?
    nizzon likes this.
    10-01-2012 05:15 AM
    they can do as they please, any company can...but if the result is 1-2% marketshare...then you should probably start to listen or else there is no return on your investment.
    Doubtful the current market share is because its missing an orientation lock.
    eric12341 likes this.
    10-01-2012 06:45 AM
    Apps currently can/do have this option
    10-01-2012 07:15 AM
    Apps currently can/do have this option
    Is there an app out there that does that now?
    10-01-2012 05:43 PM

Glk and Board Express are two I use that have orientation lock. I prefer portrait.

I wish WhatsApp had orientation lock.
    10-01-2012 06:34 PM
    Windows phone needs a system wide orientation lock. It's a stupid ommision which every other phone on the market has this very simple feature. I hope it's actually included but just not shown in the SDK.
    10-02-2012 04:59 AM
    Windows phone needs a system wide orientation lock. It's a stupid ommision which every other phone on the market has this very simple feature. I hope it's actually included but just not shown in the SDK.
    That's what I'm talking about - coupled with an exception list. That would be great.
    10-02-2012 09:46 AM
    Don't worry, Windows Phone 8.5 will have it.
    10-03-2012 02:55 AM
    What about windows 7 phones? They should have it. This is a small feature that should have been on the OS from the start. They should include it in the 7.8 update. Or if that's not going to happen, then can a developer just make a master orientation lock app / setting?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    10-03-2012 03:11 AM
    That's typically how it goes for them. Unfortunately its these "little" things that make your OS stand out when you pay attention to the little details. I have always hate MS and its oft quoted focus groups. You know the other famous thing they used to do that with? That horrible first Xbox controller.
    AngryNil likes this.
    10-03-2012 06:49 AM
    I have always hate MS and its oft quoted focus groups. You know the other famous thing they used to do that with? That horrible first Xbox controller.
    You'd think they learned a lesson with that.
    10-03-2012 02:04 PM
    Baconit has it.

But I agree, it needs to be in the OS and system wide. It's inexcusable if something so simple isn't included in the final product. That is on my short list and if it's not included, that gives me one more reason just to wait before getting a new phone.
    10-04-2012 03:11 PM
    Even my WM had it! But it was made by Samsung not MS. Now that OEMs cant touch the OS , MS has to step up to the plate and add does missing features they NEVER even had to think about befor cause OEMs had their back!

I think that's the problem. Most feature you see in other phones (aside from iPhone and BB) are made by the oem/rtm.

And even if it's missing it won't be long till the first update ;)
    10-05-2012 11:58 AM
    Now that WP8 is officially released, can anyone confirm that there is no orientation lock?

Serious bummer if it's true. I'm very likely getting a 920 and it's astonishing to think a phone with that many cool features can't do something as simple as not flip the damn screen around annoyingly when I use it in bed.
    nizzon likes this.
    10-29-2012 04:52 PM
    I have been on the WP-wagon since release and I have been waiting for this since then, I am getting that Lumia 920 for free through work (If I had to pay myself I would probably get an Iphone) but if MS doesnt get their act together on things like orientation lock, tracking lost toasts, custom sms and e-mail signals etc etc, then the Lumia will be my last Windows Phone.

MS just dont seem to get it, the little things is important and this missing option really makes me hate my phone when I use it in bed, setting alarms etc.
    Last edited by nizzon; 10-29-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    10-29-2012 06:09 PM
    Bummer that there is no orientation lock. It always pisses me off when you tilt a phone even a little bit, it will change orientation. We need this feature Microsoft. It's a simple feature that should be on every single smartphone. Apple knows it, Google knows it..but apparently you don't.
    10-29-2012 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD